How has Coronavirus helped / hurt your prepping plan? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-24-2020, 08:44 AM
Midwest Born

Thanked 1,004 Times in 447 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC40 View Post

One major area that did hurt was my family's hunting area became crowded with a lot of people moving into the wilderness to escape their normal community. This put a strain on the wildlife out there and affected this year's harvest.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
could you expand on this a bit? moved into the wilderness to escape? are you talking about increased hunting and visiting to that area or people moving in to live?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Sick and tired of idiots

POSITIVES:

COVID and civil unrest has really brought my wife around to supporting our prepping. I finished the storage shelves for canned goods in the basement, and she came by and said it looked really good and was a great idea. 2 years ago she would have questioned why I wasted time and money building and stocking it.

Getting on this board more often has me reading more, and identifying some areas in which we WERE lacking more thorough preps.

NEGATIVES:

CANNOT FIND AMMO ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
could you expand on this a bit? moved into the wilderness to escape? are you talking about increased hunting and visiting to that area or people moving in to live?
People moving in to live. Areas that we had permission/ leased to hunt were subdivided to sale and increased the people living in the area. Basically pushing wildlife further out. Vehicle traffic has increased and we have seen a noticeable impact on the wildlife movement this year. Most people we did talk to mentioned they did move to escape the chaos going around.

The Following User Says Thank You to JAC40 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattnikk23 View Post
POSITIVES:

2 years ago she would have questioned why I wasted time and money building and stocking it.
Same!

The Following User Says Thank You to JAC40 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,644 Times in 2,420 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
People moving in to live. Areas that we had permission/ leased to hunt were subdivided to sale and increased the people living in the area. Basically pushing wildlife further out. Vehicle traffic has increased and we have seen a noticeable impact on the wildlife movement this year. Most people we did talk to mentioned they did move to escape the chaos going around.

I can expand on this slightly living in a rural area where most counties have roughly 10-15k people and are heavily wooded.

In early May I believe, I had my 20lber go empty while I was grilling on a Friday night. No big deal I swapped tanks and figured since things were still unsettled at that time I would get it filled the next morning even though Saturday mornings suck. Usually a line of 5-10 people there to be filled right when they open.

I did what I normally do and headed in at 10:30 to hit the slow time. Didn't work. the parking lot was packed, many of the trucks looked tourist which is unusual that early in the year and there was a line up of half dozen people in front of me all with multiple tanks. Normally I'd have left since I had 2 full tanks plus the one I had started the night before but things being what they were at the time I stayed and got mine filled.

Standing there 6-10ft from everyone listening to the conservations it was obvious that several of these people were camping out in trailers in the woods. Their conservations were about where they were from and, wondering when it would be safe to go home.

One truck in particular was driven by two women and all that was in the bed were 5 gallon gas cans, and 20&30lb propane tanks. They had already been up here for 6 weeks and were dumb enough to give their area they were staying. Sure they tried to keep it to a rough area, but anybody from around here could have figured out where they were staying in just a few seconds.

The kid filling the tanks told me that he spent the entire day filling tanks the day before, even eating his lunch while he filled them, and today was worse.

So yeah at least in the initial couple months of this people that could bugged out of the cities and lived in the woods. Still doing it? I don't think so, I think it ended early summer since I haven't seen random trailers on any of the two tracks since say early June, but I don't drive around all the two tracks in the county either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I can expand on this slightly living in a rural area where most counties have roughly 10-15k people and are heavily wooded.

In early May I believe, I had my 20lber go empty while I was grilling on a Friday night. No big deal I swapped tanks and figured since things were still unsettled at that time I would get it filled the next morning even though Saturday mornings suck. Usually a line of 5-10 people there to be filled right when they open.

I did what I normally do and headed in at 10:30 to hit the slow time. Didn't work. the parking lot was packed, many of the trucks looked tourist which is unusual that early in the year and there was a line up of half dozen people in front of me all with multiple tanks. Normally I'd have left since I had 2 full tanks plus the one I had started the night before but things being what they were at the time I stayed and got mine filled.

Standing there 6-10ft from everyone listening to the conservations it was obvious that several of these people were camping out in trailers in the woods. Their conservations were about where they were from and, wondering when it would be safe to go home.

One truck in particular was driven by two women and all that was in the bed were 5 gallon gas cans, and 20&30lb propane tanks. They had already been up here for 6 weeks and were dumb enough to give their area they were staying. Sure they tried to keep it to a rough area, but anybody from around here could have figured out where they were staying in just a few seconds.

The kid filling the tanks told me that he spent the entire day filling tanks the day before, even eating his lunch while he filled them, and today was worse.

So yeah at least in the initial couple months of this people that could bugged out of the cities and lived in the woods. Still doing it? I don't think so, I think it ended early summer since I haven't seen random trailers on any of the two tracks since say early June, but I don't drive around all the two tracks in the county either.
This year was insane. For the first time ever, I ran I to multiple people during September bow season. For the first time since 2008, all out of state tags sold out before the August deadline. The roads were so crowded in the national forest that the sheriff's department was literally towing vehicles out because people were essentially blocking the roads.

Some places got completely destroyed. Combine the trash, those loathsome 4-wheelers and UTVs, and a complete disregard for anything natural... it's been a bad year

Multiple large properties that I know of have been bought or are in the process and have been subdivided. All are out of town and border national forest. I'm curious how it's going to work. Some lots are almost sitting on cliffs, but what do I know about building on a cliff? Again, a lack of care for anything natural. The ones close to me are elk calving grounds, but for the sake of a dollar, screw them. The elk can just go deal with the introduced wolves.

This summer has really shown just how parasitic and nasty human beings really are. So much so that my wife, who is a people person and doesn't mind, has even complained.
Old Today, 10:53 PM
Hiker

It has been a MASSIVE wake up call. I thought I was doin OK, but quickly realized how very unprepared I am. Now, EVERY pay day I buy something food related and other supplies. I really need to work on sanitation supplies (soap, cleaners, wipes, etc) I also need to work on Medical supplies.