Survivalist Forum banner

Fort Harrison Montana

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Shelle 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone could tell me a little about this location. In particular around the VA there. I was possibly looking to relocate near there and take a job with the VA. I was just curious about the cost of living, home sites, and just general things like that. I don't want to live in town and would prefer a place with some land with it. I don't mind about an hour drive to and from work. Any info would be great.

#2 ·
Helena is our state capitol and while it's not the best city in Montana, it does provide just about everything you need - shopping, culture, lots to do. Homes aren't too crazy expensive up there and either is property. There's good hunting and fishing and access to public lands. Helena has an airport (a luxury in Montana as many people have to drive hours to the nearest airport) and also a ski hill. Bozeman is about 1.5 hours away and Missoula is about 2, Butte is about 45 minutes although I hate Butte (lol). Cost of living is fairly inexpensive compared to Bozeman and Missoula (the two most popular cities for wealthy vacationers who buy million dollar hunting/ski lodges).

I haven't been to the VA up there because I don't have any service-related disabilities, but I haven't heard anything negative about it. I know a lot of the MT National Guard and Reserve training goes on up there so it's a fairly active post. I pass through that area on the way to my cabin and sometimes I am buzzed by Blackhawks... takes me back!

Judging from your avatar picture, I think you'll feel at home in Montana.

#3 ·
Actually my avatar pic was taken in Yellowstone. I love the idea of living there, but now that I'm older I also know the reality. I know it gets bitter cold and although I love cold weather it would be a tough thing to deal with. My main concern would be moving that far and hauling all my junk. I also don't know what areas are a good place to live. Lots of details to iron out before I committed to relocating. That's why I was trying to find some first hand information from guys who live there. I would have no problem finding a job and I think that's an issue for most people. I've looked online, but it's hard to tell much about the places that way. Thanks for your input!

#6 ·
came from pa and it is colder there than here and a lot more snow there i have only been here since 2011 it is beautiful and mostly kind and friendly people the politics are low i do live about 15 miles from helena and it is a nice short commute to work with very low traffic compared to most cities around the east coast good luck

#4 ·
I go from Bozeman through Helena and hit highway 12 to hit Avon and head north to my cabin. The winters aren't too bad in Helena/Avon because there's not a lot of wind. The horror stories you hear about Montana winters are on the Eastern and Northern prairie (where I grew up) that has the extreme windchill. If you can tolerate about 20*F, you'll be fine. A lot of people who work at Harrison (if not most) live in Helena. If you want property, I would check out around the Avon area. It will provide the best commute + open land for the location you're considering. Check out land prices along Highway 12. Being comfortable with an hour commute gives you a lot of opportunities (most Montanans complain about a 15 minute commute!).

#7 ·
You will have a bit of a ride if you are working at the fort, but only about 20 miles. There is land for sale in the Winston area. It is mostly open land with little cover. Wind blows a lot through there, because it is in the center of the valley. There may still be land for sale a bit closer with a bit of forest. It is a nice area and people are friendly. It's the capitol, so you get many different personality's. Overall, I think you will enjoy it. Oh yeah, about 40 miles from the fort is Townsend. Make sure not to live in town there! They are a different breed, but the land is beautiful and there is the wildlife management area as well as canyon ferry. Canyon ferry is good fishing for walleye and trout. The Missouri runs right into it. And the funding around that area is really good. Lots of opportunity for bird hunting as well. I hope that helps your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#8 ·
Wow, I had actually forgot I posted this. Fast forward a few years and I haven't moved but I will be working there again. I was there September- December 2019 and am headed back next week. I will be there through at least mid-May. I have loved it so far. The only problem I've ran into is Montana is big and it's hard to find places to hike/explore when you don't know where to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.