Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,209 Times in 701 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
That book has many excellent references, but for those who may not know: there is an updated version.

The latest third edition which was published in 2012 was a necessary upgrade from the somewhat outdated info contained in the free versions that were published in 1979 and 1987.

Here is the latest and greatest book in the classic Kearney series (black book cover; earlier outdated versions are green or red, and free):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...t_bibl_vppi_i1
I donít have the black covered book, but itís worth noting it was not rewritten by Kearney ( who has passed away), so the credibility of the updates is based on whoever edited the book for the publisher.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 03:25 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,883 Times in 814 Posts

I have not actually sat down and compared in great detail, the old and new versions side by side, but around 100 pages have been added and the illustrations have been upgraded and look cleaner.

Not sure if the rest of the content is upgraded or not. If not, that's some mighty old info...some of it is over thirty years old, and some of it updated almost twenty years ago. But much of it is timeless information and well worth keeping.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
Old Today, 11:51 AM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
I have not actually sat down and compared in great detail, the old and new versions side by side, but around 100 pages have been added and the illustrations have been upgraded and look cleaner.

Not sure if the rest of the content is upgraded or not. If not, that's some mighty old info...some of it is over thirty years old, and some of it updated almost twenty years ago. But much of it is timeless information and well worth keeping.
Looks like there are at least 2 "new" versions, one with a black cover [Red Dog Press (September 10, 2012), 420 pages], and one with a red cover [Skyhorse; Expanded, Updated edition (January 19, 2016), 320]. The originals have a green cover (approximately 280-320 pages depending on the edition).

This morning, I flipped through the "red" Skyhorse 2016 edition because it's available on Kindle Unlimited. There's virtually no difference between it and the version that appears for free at http://oism.org/nwss/nwss.pdf There is one additional two-page section at the end regarding "Radiation Hormesis". Radiation Hormesis is simply the theory that small amounts of radiation exposure above what we consider to be natural background levels, can have beneficial health effects by stimulating the body's natural healing and repair mechanisms.

I don't have access to the "black" Red Dog Press 2012 edition, and I'm not interested in buying it to find out what the additional 100 pages include. I wouldn't expect you to do a page-by-page analysis, but if you ever feel like flipping through it and the version at http://oism.org/nwss/nwss.pdf to provide a brief, non-technical impression of what the additional content might be (aside from the cleaner illustrations), I would love to hear about it.

In my opinion, if someone already has one of the original versions, there's no need to buy one of these updated versions. As you said Grizzlyette, the info is timeless. The information that makes this book so valuable is based on laws of physics that don't really change. So, even though the info is 30, 40, 50, 60, even 70 years old... it's not "obsolete" or out of date because the nukes of today still detonate the same way they did in the 1950s.

What has changed is the geopolitical situation, number and yield of warheads, consolidation of strategic assets. etc. None of the proposed "super weapons" Russia claims to be developing changes the calculus.

Some of the reviewers on Amazon have requested that any further updates include information on "dirty bombs". As I have discussed in other threads on this forum, this level of protection isn't necessary for a dirty bomb because it cannot generate radiation levels high enough over a wide enough area to require the protections mentioned in NWSS. They will certainly work for dirty bombs... but they simply aren't necessary.

Another section where conditions have changed is in Kearny's discussion of "Trans-Pacific Fallout". He wrote that section when there was the fear that Russia and China might engage in an independent, large scale nuclear exchange, even without US involvement. While the information in that section is good info, it doesn't really apply to the current fears of a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan. The warhead counts and yields of those warheads are too small to result in the conditions described in that section.

I absolutely agree with those who have listed NWSS as a "must read" or "must have". It's both. The important information regarding shelter construction, ventilation, etc... is still applicable today.