Survivalist Forum banner

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio puts inmates on bread and water for destroying US flag

2K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  DrReco 
#1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/26/arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio-puts-inmates-on-bread-and-water-for-destroying-us/

I like what the good sheriff did here; but apparently burning the flag is a valid expression of the first amendment (Supreme court decision in Texas v. Johnson 1989). However the article states that the punishment punishment was "for destroying government property while in custody"; so I think one can argue that it is a valid punishment, and not a violation of the inmates first amendment (do inmates still have constitutional rights anyway?).

What do you think about this punishment?

#4 ·
You can't claim 1st Amendment rights while destroying someone else's property.

If they had their own flags, now that might be a different story altogether.

All he owes them is bread and water all the time. I think he's being more than fair by just doing it for one week. He's a good guy!

The moral of the story is: Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time...:thumb:

#8 ·
1. Many of there rights are lost or suspended. They are in person.

Who would want to hear what they have to say! They are convicted criminals.

2. It was not their flag.

"The punishment for destroying government property while in custody."

3. Everyone talks bad about reeducation camps. There are arguments that they do or don't exist. Many inmates are in jail instead of dead because of mercy and the possibility of rehabilitation.

They need to learn how to respect other peoples property as well as the nation as a whole.

4. They should get 30 days added to their sentence for distraction of property.

Maybe 60 days because it was a flag.

#11 ·
Ok they can keep the bread but no water for 7 days, screw them.

#23 ·
You're kidding right?

I believe they were being well fed when they committed this crime. The bread and water is punishment for the destruction of government property

So what if they commit more crimes, they are already locked up. Plus they'll get more time added onto the existing sentences if they are real bad

Looks like a win/win situation to me

You don't reward bad behavior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.