Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plano Protector Case $4.99 or Plano ProMax Gun Case $14.98 + Free S/H over $35 apps47inc For Sale 0 11-27-2014 09:30 AM
Your Best Case/Worst Case Survival Scenario (humor) anmut Jokes, Humor & Music 7 11-22-2014 08:59 PM
Illinois gun law: "Unloaded and in a case" What is a case? Holster? illinoisguy Pistol and Revolver Forum 17 05-02-2013 01:39 PM
Pelican 1170 Carrying Case - $36 shipped, Plano Vertical Rifle Case - $32 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 02-11-2013 02:26 PM
IMIM193C 1200 round case IMI 55gr FMJBT Ammunition $552.00 / 1200 rd case apps47inc For Sale 0 01-21-2013 02:37 PM
Steal Case vs Brass Case .223 - lesson learned JohnWStiner Firearms General Discussion 12 01-30-2012 07:57 PM
Our New MH 6-Can Variety Case Qualifies Toward the Free Apple Case Offer (exp. 12/31) JC Refuge Safecastle 1 12-30-2011 02:18 PM
Case Knife: Collectors Case Masonic Trapper Knife w/ Tin Ellen For Sale 0 02-13-2011 03:11 PM

Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,587 Times in 17,049 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddog9 View Post
One could take this excellent idea one step further and obtain a cheap guitar and remove the back, and perhaps shave down the neck to fit over the weapon, thus hiding it from cursory view if asked to open the case....or not.
And rob myself of enjoying the look on their face?

A fake face would probably delay discovery for a just a few more seconds. In reality, its just a custom gun case, not really technically different from other cases or even the various "low profile" cases that are starting to come out.

I honestly put it together just to see if it would work. It works better than I ever expected. Have not had a need for it yet, but it looks cool in the corner.

Weathering it and getting stickers was the real fun part. I have a corner duct taped up (not broken) and some scuffs. The stickers are a mix of real music decals and some almost-suspect tactical decals I had sitting around.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Just stick a label on it -"steel fender-cast inside " --
Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM

I live on a rock in Alaska so I don't think the golf bag idea would fly.. I'd stand out like a sore thumb lol

I like the fishing rod case idea, and guitar case. Both are things that are a dime a dozen in this town and not easy for a criminal to sell here.

Guns are MUCH more sought after. Heck, I found a .22 along the road one day and turned it in to the police department. When I walked out of the cop shop this guy popped out of the alley and told me if I ever find anymore guns he will buy them from me no questions asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Target Shooter

just need one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-NhyctOho
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieRob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,634 Times in 5,801 Posts

An AR15 lower and upper separated will fit in a gym bag.

You could also fit several long guns in a snow board bag.

This is a bit more compact but I don't know how many tennis courts are up in your neck of the woods.

Soft shell fishing rod case could work too.
The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 AM

How about making a carry case that looks like a rolled up piece of carpet. One rolled up end would come out as the opening. Now you are just carrying around a piece of scrap carpet with a piece of masking tape around each end to "keep it rolled." This would stand up in your junk closet. It would not pass a close inspection if handled but just a visual observation probably would not indicate anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raymond For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:13 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Good idea, then it can work as a shooting mat as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How about making a carry case that looks like a rolled up piece of carpet. One rolled up end would come out as the opening. Now you are just carrying around a piece of scrap carpet with a piece of masking tape around each end to "keep it rolled." This would stand up in your junk closet. It would not pass a close inspection if handled but just a visual observation probably would not indicate anything.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Almost free

Pool cue bag.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:20 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddog9 View Post
One could take this excellent idea one step further and obtain a cheap guitar and remove the back, and perhaps shave down the neck to fit over the weapon, thus hiding it from cursory view if asked to open the case....or not.
Neat idea, but might be too risky getting caught with that, could be seen an a NFA AOW violation.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 61,432 Times in 19,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Neat idea, but might be too risky getting caught with that, could be seen an a NFA AOW violation.
How if it doesn't fire in that assembly?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:46 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
How if it doesn't fire in that assembly?
I would imagine that it wouldn't matter in the first place, you'd probably have to defend your innocence in a federal court which sounds expensive.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:02 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I would imagine that it wouldn't matter in the first place, you'd probably have to defend your innocence in a federal court which sounds expensive.
Please, don't just spout off from ignorance (and I do not mean that in a rude way)

Example:

Pen guns are AOW if they fire in the "pen like configuration"
https://shadowopsweaponry.com/pen-gu...er-single-shot

However, examples:
http://www.guns.com/2012/10/30/stinger-pen-gun/
Which do not shoot in "pen like configuration" are NOT NFA.

a carrying case is nothing like a NFA regulated item I have ever seen (and I have some experience inthe area)

If you know of something I'm missing please post a link.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,322 Posts

You have to watch the weight in guitar cases, there are good ones, but most are barely good enough to carry a guitar. The handles will get loose then pull out, or even worse the latches pop while your carrying it around.

I bought 2 of these not long ago, not because they dont look like a gun case so much, just to fit what I wanted.

Amazon.com : UTG Gun Case, Dual Storage,... cover
Amazon.com : UTG Gun Case, Dual Storage,...
Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,767 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If thieves are an issue, a guitar case is not a good idea. Too desirable. Something like a tennis racket case, gym bag, or something like that might be a better idea. Short of that, maybe a case for a bowed instrument. They aren't in high demand like guitars.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Gone Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
If thieves are an issue, a guitar case is not a good idea. Too desirable. Something like a tennis racket case, gym bag, or something like that might be a better idea. Short of that, maybe a case for a bowed instrument. They aren't in high demand like guitars.
I think the OPs main concern is transport. He does not want to constantly advertise what is coming and going from the apartment.

Plus, musicians are usually broke.

Great negative-advertising to thieving eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

This is a non academic forum of opinions, its made for spouting off from ignorance.

I do see the logic of the AOW pen example.

Though logic and case law doesn't always prevail. I imagine chances are low though I would not want to be stopped while carrying a guitar case and then be subject to search for what ever "probable cause", and then be found with something unusual like that inside. A rifle transported inside a guitar case is one thing, but a rifle intentional concealed in the backside of a routed out guitar is a whole other thing. Yes some LEOs are pro 2A (and guitar players) and might enjoy the idea, others might see it as having been done with criminal intent, and seize the opportunity to make an arrest. I don't think the benefits outweigh the risk. Perhaps a LEO could chime in on this.

As far as NFA law goes, yes you are probably not in violation and could probably fight if accused it but that sounds like a complicated undertaking. Just my opinion.

Anyway if you do this, please post pictures in the forum. If I were to do this myself, I would use an electric bass guitar, as the necks and bodies are typically larger. The truss rod in the neck would need to be removed. Maybe a Gibson Thunderbird type shape would make sense, as they are fulll bodied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Please, don't just spout off
from ignorance (and I do not mean that in a rude way)

Example:

Pen guns are AOW if they fire in the "pen like configuration"
https://shadowopsweaponry.com/pen-gu...er-single-shot

However, examples:
http://www.guns.com/2012/10/30/stinger-pen-gun/
Which do not shoot in "pen like configuration" are NOT NFA.

a carrying case is nothing like a NFA regulated item I have ever seen (and I have some experience inthe area)

If you know of something I'm missing please post a link.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 PM

I bought a used softball bat/gear bag, fits my folding stock Ak. Its even got Louisville slugger emblazoned down the side, $7.00
The Following User Says Thank You to kj mtn man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Gone Galt

Quote:
This is a non academic forum of opinions, its made for spouting off from ignorance.

I do see the logic of the AOW pen example.

Though logic and case law doesn't always prevail. I imagine chances are low though I would not want to be stopped while carrying a guitar case and then be subject to search for what ever "probable cause", and then be found with something unusual like that inside. A rifle transported inside a guitar case is one thing, but a rifle intentional concealed in the backside of a routed out guitar is a whole other thing. Yes some LEOs are pro 2A (and guitar players) and might enjoy the idea, others might see it as having been done with criminal intent, and seize the opportunity to make an arrest. I don't think the benefits outweigh the risk. Perhaps a LEO could chime in on this.

As far as NFA law goes, yes you are probably not in violation and could probably fight it but that sounds like a complicated and expensive undertaking. Just my opinion.

Anyway if you do this, please post pictures in the forum. If I were to do this myself, I would use an electric bass guitar, as the necks and bodies are typically larger. The truss rod in the neck would need to be removed. Maybe a Gibson Thunderbird type shape would make sense, as they are fulll bodied.
Pics of mine are on first page. It's just a regular guitar case I picked up locally for $45. The inside comes shaped with white foam covered in a fuzzy grey fabric. I found a pretty close match in material and then carved out what I needed. Surprising little needed to be cut out. Its all about the placement. Then I covered the exposed white foam with patches of the fabric I bought. You can barely tell where these patches are. Last step was to add a fabric covered block to the rear with a velcro elastic strap. This raises the butt stock to make sure the rifle is centered and holds down the butt stock. There is a slight pressure fit when closed that the rifle does not budge at all.

The fit all depends on rifle and accessories you have on it. Mine fits nicely at 100% ready to go. A scoped rifle would be a bit more fussy.

As far as getting pulled over, I would imagine a search of bags would be a bit much. If so, it would be right next to my range bag with clear intent. Plus I would have already handed my "good guy" concealed carry permit over with my license.

Not really concerning to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Survivor

Quote:

, others might see it as having been done with criminal intent, and seize the opportunity to make an arrest. I don't think the benefits outweigh the risk. Perhaps a LEO could chime in on this.
arrested FOR WHAT!!!! Please cite the law/court case/etc

As far as NFA law goes, yes you are probably not in violation and could probably fight it .
Fight WHAT!?!

Once again, you are acting as if something which is legal (as far as I can find... And I looked) is illegal.

If you are going to do so, please provide supporting documentation.

I know of one ******* who was falsely arrested for open carrying. He bought a brand new +$50,000 Harley with the settlement money.....

And no, it's NOT made for spouting off from ignorance, but for the exchange of ideas.
Value derived from NOT talking out of ones ass!
Old 03-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Again these are just opinions.

Search, charge and arrest is always subjective. No, I have not cited any case law, all I am simply expressing is my opinon. Take it or leave it. Do it or do not. I don't understand hostility with hearing out a stated opinion in an open internet forum? If you want to know for sure about what you are asking about, call the enforcers up yourself. Asking for opinions in a open forum for something that you are unsure about the legality of is perhaps not the best path. I do not know what state you are in, but you can call BAFTE's main number and ask for your local field office number. I posted some links below.

If I were to construct this custom firearms concealment case that hides a rifle inside a modified common object such as a musical instrument, I would take the time to write BAFTE a letter stating what I am intending on doing, include a drawing, describing how the firearm cannot be fired from the exterior of the musical instrument modifiction and ask them to reply with their opinion. If their opinion states I am not breaking the NFA, I would then carry that letter with me inside the electric assault guitar's case. I would also call my town's police, show them this letter and also get their opinion. I would also do the same with my county sheriff, show him/her the letter and get their opinion as well.

I would go through all this trouble to cover my own ass, as I do not have full faith in the just-us system. Again, just my opinion sir, albeit coming out of my mouth, fingers or rear end.

BAFTE's main contact info:
https://www.atf.gov/content/contact-us

Local field office contact info can be found here
https://www.atf.gov/content/contact-us/local-atf-office

Additionally here examples of the NFA defining AOWs.
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...y-other-weapon