Survivalist Forum banner

Best Lighter

41K views 103 replies 53 participants last post by  Eddie_T 
#1 ·
What is the best weather proof lighter you know of.

#76 ·
A bit more on plasma lighters. They are challenging to light a fire with, if you don't have good conditions or are not using an accelerant. If you are carrying an accelerant, charging cable, solar panel or battery bank, you have quite a collection of stuff, just to make it work. I don't see the advantage.

With my Zippo style; it easily fits into my watch pocket, already has an extra flint and cotton in it, and since I fill it fairly regularly, I shouldn't have to rely on it. If I get down to my base layer of preparedness for survival which is your EDC, or the stuff you have on you all the time, I feel confident that my lighter will be enough to get me by for a few days. Don't misunderstand, I'd be more comfortable with some extra stuff, but as a stand alone it's pretty good.

Reactions: Aerindel
#77 ·
My plasma lighters have been reliable, but as mentioned, its hard to start a real fire with one.

I've also had a hard time keeping jet lighters working. Probably because I kept getting cheap ones.

I would never carry charging gear JUST for a plasma lighter, but I will usually have have a way to charge one for something else.

For a survival situation it wouldn't matter, plasma lighter will light many many fires on one charge...if you have tinder etc. They really are not that great for wilderness use though as they are hard to make flame with without paper or accelerants.

I assume everyone knows how to mod bics to make a 3-4" flame too right?

#80 ·
If you carry a Zippo lighter?
It's simple to carry a small SS flask of lighter fluid & extra flints.

Don't carry it FUELED, add fuel just before you intend to use it.

These I bought at thrift stores usually 99 cents to a $1.49 each

Ranger banding a Zippo lighter SLOWS fuel evaporation
(+ gives you a way to attach a Zippo lighter to your gear)

#81 ·
Maybe just fill one flask with 190 proof "EVERCLEAR"......and it could be Multi-purpose.........:):):):)

#96 ·
Just fueled up my forever matches, and peanut lighter, all of which didn't need it, after months of non use. Probably 6 months or better I'm thinking.

Timed my Star lighter after using it a couple times last week, and after about a week without fueling it up. Had a good flame for a combined time of about 10 minutes before it appearing to start running a little lower.

I liked your fuel idea, and needed another alternative way to carry extra. Used to have a filler made for that. Was loathe to empty a full eye drop container, but had a bigger lock de--icer

Reactions: bunkerbuster
#91 ·
From my lighter collection. Not the "BEST", but innovative for its time.
You will not see one of these every day, as they are pretty rare.
Actual "antique" = well over 100 years old & remains fully functional.

1st pocket carry lighter using a strip of ferrocerium (flint).
(I DIY replaced the ferrocerium strip, as the original was worn out)

#97 ·
Didn't get to finish, site acting up. Filled up a 30 ml bottle, to the top and from the top, used about 1/6 of that to fill it up to "wet". Figure that to be mean a good 1.5 months of use in the bush. If not a fair bit more.

Shows to me, excellent energy density, and having a small bottle is extremely efficient.

Reactions: bunkerbuster
#101 ·
I have never purchased a disposable lighter where would I find Cilckers? When I quit smoking years ago I was using matches for pipe and cigars.
If you mean Clippers
Walmart Amazon Ebay

Good to see you were a pipe-man
I am still on the pipe and cigars to a much lesser degree
I smoke one to two times a week and let my body heal
Between pipes

#99 ·
Best to have several fire-lighters (+ a dependable Ferro Rod & Striker), as some work better than others in differing conditions.

One on your person (in a shirt, coat, sleeve pocket or in a pouch on your belt), several in your pack & gear and a couple in your vehicle. You never know when one might FAIL for any number of reasons.

Best also to carry extra fuel & flints for Zippo type lighters.

+ a few Storm-Proof matches in small durable waterproof container

Also helpful to have lightweight compact easily dispensable fire starter TINDER.

About the most readily available & least expensive of which is Vaseline, with a little charcoal lighter fluid mixed in & stored in a compact durable squeezable container & handful of cotton balls in a baggy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.