Survivalist Forum banner
93K views 78 replies 52 participants last post by  Heal 
#1 ·
New to the AK and SKS and they look similar I read that some SKS can us AK mags. So what are the differences that would make one better than the other?

#3 ·
the SKS-D variant takes AK magazines, but they are few and far between. Simonov's carbine shoots a tad more accurately, but is a tad less durable. From what I've read- you should probably stick to the standard fixed magazine and NOT use duck bills. I've heard nothing but grief about them. Keep in mind than an SKS is NOT an AK.

#52 ·
True true true! An SKS should mechanically be left as an SKS. My EXPERIENCE though, has been that the SKS IS a more accurate platform due to the longer barrel, and mechanism design. In some cases, considerably more accurate. As far as durability and reliability go, My SKS never fails me. My cousin is an AK nut but has more problems jamming up his weapon than I have. My experience has been that the SKS is just as sturdy and just as reliable as the AK and quite a bit better in the accuracy dept.

I like the AK. It's useful, it's reliable and is accurate enough.

However, shot placement is king with me. Not magazine capacity, so I prefer the SKS, even though I can afford an AK.

The mistake people make with the SKS is trying to make an AK out of it. It is NOT AN AK! If you MUST muck with your SKS, it can be a FINE medium range "tactical" rifle with the right tweaks. I have a Choate ambidextrous stock on mine that has been modified more like a McMillan tactical stock with cheek rest, and nearly vertical grip. I have worked mine to be extremely tight. The only sound you hear when shaking mine is the free float firing pin that I prefer over the Murray firing pin. I can EASILY hit a man-sized target in the lethal zone consistantly at 450 yards with mine IF I use the M67 Yugoslavian ammo, commercial ammo, or hand loads, and environmental conditions allow it. Although I don't need a scope at those ranges, a receiver mounted red dot, or ACOG may be going on mine soon. I would be willing to bet I can hit targets further away than that even. 450 yds is the greatest distance I've tried with that weapon at this point though.

The SKS is NOT a "sniper" rifle, but some can be darned fine DM rifles if they're in good condition, tuned properly (not difficult to do) and maintained well.

I have an AR with a match trigger I paid $1260 for. My SKS I paid $325 for OTD. If SHTF, It would be difficult for me to choose which one between the two I would pick up first. That's how good I feel my SKS is.

#4 ·
All I can say is that if the SKS was made to shoot AK mags, they'd be called SKS mags.

It may work, and it may work WELL even, but I dont trust it personally.

Far as the guns, the SKS is longer, the AK mas more accessories I think... Bigger standard magazine... And militaries of the world think the AK is better than the SKS. Good enough for me.

#5 ·
I have some experience with both. Even though they (Ak and SKS) use the same cartridge they are very different guns. I believe that there are two models of SKS that accept AK magazines, the M and D. They are factory produced and many will have a thumbhole stock. The SKS has a longer barrel and is in general more accurate than the AK. (obviously this varys from gun to gun) The AK has a very short, light barrel and it heats up very quickly under long rapid fire situations. This effects accuracy and not in a good way. I have also seen AK's shoot pretty good groups and even though there not tack drivers some are more accurate than people give them credit for. In my experience they are both reliable and easy to disassemble and clean. I have read that the designer of the AK was building a "peasant gun" (No offense to AK owners which I AM one) This just meant a ultra reliable, fairly cheap to manufacture firearm that used a decent cartridge and probably would not break or require much maintenance even under heavy use. AK's are fun but if I could just buy one I would get an SKS and leave the factory 10 shot fixed magazine alone and buy some stripper clips. Hope that helps.

#8 ·
I agree 100%

took my first deer with an AKM but will never hunt with one again. Barrel is too short and inaccurate. I have taken several deer since with SKS rifles and still own several. The advantage of the AK is the compactness and pistol grip for better handling indoors and the detachable magazines. The SKS M and D take AK mags but they are not as easy to use as in the AK.

#6 ·
I have 2 Chinese made SKS, had them almost 15 years. I have only shot 30 rd mags in both guns. Have never had a problem with either gun, very dependable guns. I replaced the stocks on both and they are a blast to shoot. Little recoil. fun gun.
I have read about problems with the detachable mags but I have had NO problems with mine.

#7 ·
The detachable magazines for SKS rifles were always known to have feeding issues. That problem went away with the Tapco 20rd mags. They work flawlessly. I have many and use them on a few different guns, and I have never had a problem. Stay far away from the metal mags, especially made by ProMag.

Make sure before you install the "duckbill" mag, that you have converted enough other parts to be in compliance with 922r.

#9 ·
If you buy an SKS, DO NOT try to "trick it out" with a bunch of accessories. It will only make it less accurate and less reliable.

The SKS, as it comes in original form is a good weapon. It will feed ammo just fine and if you practice reloading with the stripper clips, you can be about as fast as changing mags anyway.

Buy enough stripper clips so you don't have to worry about trying to retrieve them. Sure... you can pick them back up at the firing range, but in a real SHTF situation, don't bother retrieving them. The same thought goes for any mag in a real firefight. You can go back later and get them if you survive, but don't let that empty mag get you killed. Make sure you have enough to do what you need to do and then get more! ;^)

Medic73

#23 ·
If you buy an SKS, DO NOT try to "trick it out" with a bunch of accessories. It will only make it less accurate and less reliable.

The SKS, as it comes in original form is a good weapon. It will feed ammo just fine and if you practice reloading with the stripper clips, you can be about as fast as changing mags anyway.

Medic73
Horse pucky.:(

I own two Norinco SKS's that have always been 100% with Tapco 20rd mags. I can exchange them very quickly, much faster than stripper clips at 10rds ea. Both guns are very accurate and never jam. One is "tricked out" and it destroys anything I point the red dot on. Every time.

I also have a Yugo that is the most accurate of my three SKS's and as long as your gas valve is clean and sealed, the rifle works perfect.

The AK has the advantage over the SKS for handiness, but the AK generally is less accurate, and if left alone or modified correctly, the SKS is just as reliable as the AK.

JMHO.:cool:

#10 ·
Depends on which you prefer, really. The AK gives you more capacity and quicker mag changes. The SKS has the feel of a more traditional rifle (which I prefer) and is a little more accurate.

The SKS that takes AK mags is the perfect compromise in my opinion. But they're very hard to find and expensive when you do. Not many made it into the country, and those who have them aren't parting with them. I had the chance to pick one up for $400 at a gunshow last year, but I was having a bad show and just couldn't spend the money. I haven't seen one since.

#13 ·
just recently picked up a sks D monte carlo stocked peice of junk for 300.. it could take the 2 AK magazines it came with.. but nothing else.

It didnt load the magazines right.. and i had to manually push forward the bolt after every other shot. it just was terrible.

A duckbill works twice as efficiently as that crap.

So i traded it off for a AK ... innaccurate as hell and i cant get the dust cover back on.. but at least i have a ton of magazines that work fine with it right?

Reactions: wsarris424
#16 ·
Oh not this "Obama" again!:rolleyes:

With all the sources of manufacture and new to used and abused conditions you can find either one in I would not hazard a blanket statment as to which (AK or SKS) is more accurate or reliable.

I've had both examples that ran from 2MOA to 6MOA at 100yds on an individual basis.:upsidedown:

#17 ·
My SKS-M uses AK 30rd mags and feeds perfectly. I have shot both but if I could only have one I'll stick with my SKS. It has a 16 inch barrel and shoots better than an AK 47

#19 ·
I had a Yugo SKS once. I loaned it to a friend who changed out the stock and while cleaning the rifle, lost the spring that holds the selector for the grenade launcher (basically making the rifle ONLY a single shot after that).

I looked for about two years for a replacement spring for that switch and just couldn't find a replacement. I ended up selling that SKS (with full disclosure) at a gun show and picked up another SKS.

IMHO, I felt the Yugo was pretty nose heavy with the extra long flash/launcher on it, but when I first bought the Yugo, it shot very well. I just wouldn't want to hump it very far.

BTW, I bought a couple of the rifle grenades that you clip a regular grenade (or can of pop, etc...) into and use SKS BLANKS ONLY to launch them. It was fun, but unless you have a bunch of those rifle grenades and blanks and the need for them, I'd rather stick with a regular SKS.

I think I've now owned 8 or 9 SKS rifles. One was one of the coveted SKS-M model that took the AK mags, but it just didn't feed well and I tried several different AK mags on it. I won't keep a rifle that isn't reliable. My life or the life of my family members may depend on it.

Medic73

#22 ·
I too fooled around with the duck bill SKS mags. 2 out of 6 worked for me but getting them in and out of the rifle was a pain.

Seemed like you needed 3 hands to change them out. 1 hand on magazine, one hand holding the bolt back, and 1 to hold the rifle.

I still have my Chinese SKS that I paid $125 for. It keeps my safe firmly planted to the floor while the AK's go to the range.

Haven't played with the Tapco magazines. Seems like you would still need 3 hands.

SKS is a great 1st rifle. Also a great truck gun but you'll soon find yourself wishing you had an AK.

#26 ·
I have owned a Russian and a Chicom. They have been both outstanding. I never had an issue with either and I can't count the number of rounds through them. Inparticular, the Norinco, has had probably over 20K through it and the only FTF ever was because I fired a shot off and a falling ejected cartridge landed back in the chamber as I was firing another round and it jammed. If I had a cell phone at the time, I would have taken a picture but that was before digital camera were everywhere.

#27 ·
I had a Yugo Sks. Decent rifle, not great for accuracy. The first thing I did was get 2 tapco mags. Had to do a bit of sanding so they'd fit. Never had a problem, except for crappy (bad batch) wolf. The others are right, not all are the same. Some parts wont interchange.

I have a Bulgarian AK now. I love it. Great rifle. Very accurate with in 100 yards. Less than 50 and you can blow a baseball size hole in the target. 25 yards you can hold a smaller group. Got an aftermarket trigger, sweet pull. The only drawback I see with 7.62, the rounds are smoking hot. I tried shooting 1/8 and 3/16 mild steel. It was ugly and thrilling. The rounds punched clean holes through both and ended up in the dirt.

#28 ·
I realize this post is a little dated, but others may stumble on it and find it useful. I have a Yugo SKS (unissued). It has a metal 30 round duck-bill magazine(brand unknown, it has a light green plastic follower if that helps). Its never once failed to feed/fire. I also tried a plastic Tapco 30 round and it never failed to feed/fire either. I've heard a lot about high capacity magazine issues with the SKS, but have never experienced it myself. I don't know if the issues may be related to the condition of the gun or not, or proper maintenance. I don't know if the failure to feed issues are only with heavily used older surplus guns and not so much on the unissued guns. But I suspect that may be a factor. My SKS was made in 1976.

When I was looking for a 7.62x39 rifle, I had my eye on an AK. But this Yugo SKS caught my eye. It was super clean, never used. It had a price tag of $379. The AK was $899. Long story short. I got the SKS, two Mosin-Nagants, and a crate of Mosin ammo, for slightly less than the price I would have paid for the AK. I have been very happy with the SKS(and the Mosins). And at this day and age you better just grab what you find. Both are becoming more and more scarce, prices are climbing, etc.. I was just at a gun show a couple weeks ago and it was slim pickin's. They SKS's available were heavily used surplus, beat to hell, and were going for $500 to $800. So I think the days of the cheap surplus rifles are over.

I can't really speak to the virtues of the AK's.. But I can say I love the SKS.

#31 ·
Obviously (not). Never underestimate your adversary. Even the cheapest ugliest, crookedest variants of the AK all seem to be amazingly able to function well. There is a reason there are so many of them produced. They work. SKS did too. Mosins. Makarovs. Tokarevs. Rough, crude, overbuilt....probably. So they need to be worn in a little, are a little heavier, and last forever. All terrible qualities in firearms I guess, unless you like them to be reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.