Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,035 Times in 833 Posts
Default Price gouging

Advertise Here

I've been putting this off but I thought there were laws against price gouging.
Why should hand sanitizers cost 3x''s as much now vs. 2 months ago?
Why should auto gas cost more in one section of a State vs another when both are the same distance from the refinery?
And T.P., but that is getting back on the shelves now. Still though even larger retailers are marking it up.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM
I'M READY!!

Thanked 10,559 Times in 3,343 Posts

Pre covid, I mostly sale shopped and would usually only buy at a sale or clearance prices. I've noticed there's been less sale items available overall. Also, I've heard some prices remain higher because retailers are passing on the cost of extra cleaning, masks and hand sanitizers for employees and customers, etc. A covid tax of sorts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elliott264 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Prepared

Supply and demand. Free market. Capitalism. Shall I go on.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DRH.1979 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Truth Seeker

Its crazy man.

At the beginning of the year I bought a used treadmill off craigslist for $160. I went online after I got it home to download the manual and Nordictrack still had it for sale on their website and it was listed at $1499. I love the deals you can get off cl.

Last night I was in the gym, figured it would be quicker to download the manual again then to search for where I saved it to. Well guess what the price on Nordictrack site is now $2999 for the same treadmill (5 months later). wth

https://www.nordictrack.com/ellipticals/elite-12-7
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnhiker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,831 Times in 3,911 Posts

Take a look at the price of those cheap medical masks. Before COVID, a 50 pack of them were $5-7 at any store. Dollar General sold a 10 pack for $1.50. If you didn't mind buying them direct from China on eBay, $2-3 for a 50 pack.

Amazon now sells a 50 pack for $34.99. Not some third party selling at inflated prices. But sold by and shipped by Amazon. Target sells a 20 pack for about $15. (For comparison, pre-covid you could buy a 20 pack of N95 for $15).

I could understand a little increase, as they are very much in demand. But 7x the price in a few months for something can't cost much more to make now than it did 4 months ago seems a bit much.

I don't shop big box stores much (except occasionally online) and I mostly shop ALDI, Dollar General, and a local grocery store. For the most part, prices on food have stayed the same.

Though I suspect in the future they will be going up, not only as it costs more to make items and run the stores as they keep things clean, but also due to inflation from all the money Uncle Sam has thrown at this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,623 Times in 2,501 Posts

Shipping from china on ebay is getting slow. Many items receiving date is in August.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,993 Times in 22,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post

I don't shop big box stores much (except occasionally online) and I mostly shop ALDI, Dollar General, and a local grocery store. For the most part, prices on food have stayed the same.
I'm told ground beef is $7/lb here.

I pulled a pound out my freezer and I'm about to mix it with ground turkey I butchered myself and have 2 lbs of taco meat for $2.

Prepping saves you money.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 05:15 PM

Did some shopping today ground chuck 499 a pound all beef was more expensive than just a few weeks ago, chicken prices are still ok as is pork. Can foods an soups have increased in price so yes this is not over for us I expect prices to climb for at least a few months, however on the good news side all paper products are in stock now an seems to be basically the same price as before
Old 05-24-2020, 05:40 PM
On phonics

Thanked 2,509 Times in 849 Posts

People complain about "price gouging" then complain when they can't find a particular item in stock. Allow for pricing to rise to meet supply and demand and hoarding of crucial supplies becomes less of an issue.

Case in point, people in areas with little to zero cases of Covid-19 buying up supplies that were needed more in areas with many cases, even at higher prices, multiple times the pre-covid price, people in NYC would of gladly paid the much higher price.
People in less affected areas wouldn't of paid the higher price, then the stock is moved to areas where the demand is. This is the beauty of a letting a market be a free market. Supply goes to areas with the greatest demand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hooked For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 05:51 PM
I'M READY!!

Thanked 10,559 Times in 3,343 Posts

I'll add that I put some old rusty standard weight plates up for sale on Kijiji for $1/lb and within an hour I was getting offers of up to $3/lb. People are willing to pay ridiculous prices for what they want right now. Who am I to turn away such opportunities to make someone's dreams come true?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elliott264 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,347 Times in 737 Posts

Poultry and hogs are being killed and composted, yet there's a hefty fine for killing and wasting wild game, like a deer. HUH?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benson56 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,817 Times in 5,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Why should auto gas cost more in one section of a State vs another when both are the same distance from the refinery?
And T.P., but that is getting back on the shelves now. Still though even larger retailers are marking it up.
It is called supply and demand.

A local social media app here has a bunch of Karens rallying and calling the police on local markets who aren't keeping their pre-Covid prices.

Don't be a Karen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,483 Times in 44,893 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
Shipping from china on ebay is getting slow. Many items receiving date is in August.
You ain't kidding. I made an order from fasttech early in April. It took them a few weeks to get everything in stock and ship. My order has been stuck in China post ever since. It hasn't even been sent out yet, a month later. Usually they ship the next day, China post updates every step of the way, and it takes about 2 weeks to get here.

I just made an order on Ebay that will ship from China. It has an estimate from late July to early August.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 09:26 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 10,102 Times in 3,940 Posts

$17.99 for a 16 bottle of Hand Sanitizer at the local drug store.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,035 Times in 833 Posts

OK nuff said.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:31 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH.1979 View Post
Supply and demand. Free market. Capitalism. Shall I go on.
Not during an emergency and "especially" when people are losing their job!!
If it's not allowed during a hurricane, then definitely not during a pandemic!
The Following User Says Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 02:33 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
I noticed a few weeks back I was looking at something on Amazon and the price was normal but the shipping (normal shipping) was either the same or more than the price of what I was buying

In this case the wife wanted to have a box of non-latex gloves on hand, approx $8.99 for a box of 1000, but the shipping was like $10.99.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:50 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 35,401 Times in 10,108 Posts

Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services and/or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. However, increased prices from increased costs may or may not justify such.

However, Walmart and Sam's club are owned and operated by the same corporation, operate with the same warehouses, and operate the same trucking fleet, but yet look at these two, edited screen shots that I took:

Note the radical differences in price, and I'd really like to know the rationale for that.

*********By the way, I got my Pom TP from Sam's club via UPS on Friday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TP prices.png
Views:	345
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	304360
Old 05-27-2020, 12:17 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,483 Times in 44,893 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services and/or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. However, increased prices from increased costs may or may not justify such.

However, Walmart and Sam's club are owned and operated by the same corporation, operate with the same warehouses, and operate the same trucking fleet, but yet look at these two, edited screen shots that I took:

Note the radical differences in price, and I'd really like to know the rationale for that.

Attachment 304360
I was poking around Amazon and saw yeast for $27 a brick. It was about $5 at Sams last time I remember seeing it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,831 Times in 3,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post

Attachment 304360
Very simple.

The POM on Walmart is not sold by Walmart. It's sold by a 3rd party seller (Sold & shipped by
Cheapees
Free delivery). Most likely, they get it from Sam's for that price and just flip it on Walmart. Probably costs them $10-$20 to ship it and they just made $40ish profit.

You have to filter out all that junk by selecting Walmart as the retailer. Kind of stupid on their part and one of the reasons why Walmart.com is more of a last ditch site to look at if I need something.

Most of the high prices like that on Walmart, Amazon, and other stores like that are all 3rd party sellers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post: