new to homesteading - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Default new to homesteading

Advertise Here

Hello all. I was finally able to buy land, I have been reading through posts here and see so many good ideas. I picked up 5 acres with a small house, huge shop and some animal pens and a chicken coop. I believe after a little repair chickens will be our first purchase. the previous owners had a good size goat herd but not sure I want goats. We also want to get a garden started with some basic vegetables. We have a lot to learn and look forward to gaining some knowledge from this site!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to badwrench44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 02:52 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,277 Times in 9,975 Posts

Awesome. I'm considering some chickens. There are goats and bunnies in the area too and I think they do well as long as we don't get a 30 below winter for 6 weeks like when I moved here to the hills 28 years ago.

My only pro tip is to learn to pressure can your excess meat production. Freezers are nice until the power is out for a month, been there and done that. I can on a propane turkey fryer, plus you can cook on it when the power is out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,559 Times in 1,752 Posts

Pygmy goats and chickens are a great combination. Have lost very few hens since FIL's goats ended up here about 4yr ago. The goats do an awesome job keeping the volunteer brush down. They prefer brush to grass. The goats do save a couple spring mowings of the lawn area. After early May the 1/2 dozen we have can't keep up with 5 acres of grass/brush is leafed out which is more interesting to them. At the end of summer sell of the kids for $100. Had 7 kids from 4 nannies this Apr. The mooooslems will pay extra if they can do the halal sacrifice in the pasture (front yard). Hard NO. Only cost we have for the goats is hay (home grown) and some corn/feed for nannies over the winter, rent a buck in Nov and a CDT immunization when a month old. And fence/gates/decent shed. I was a skeptic but likely will have the descendants of my FIL's herd here when I assume room temp.

Big goats such as Boer are an entire additional unneeded PITA to keep in/working YOUR acres rather than the neighbors. My HS son/wannabe farmer wanted "real" goats but the pygmys have worked out great. From what I understand goats are MUCH healthier/hardier than sheep.

Baby goats (or sheep) and hens make for rural reality TV.

FYI as you're new to this homestead thing - brush, such as dogwood, grows 6ft overnight when you're not watching it and before you knowit have a full weekend with chainsaw, stump killer and big brush pile to burn. And have a bunch PITA stumps all over the fence line/in the windbreak. Note: DO NOT let your wife plant willows within 2mi of your pond. Go out at midnight and tie 3 goats to the things though they don't seem to like the taste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM
Bugged out already

Thanked 7,361 Times in 2,905 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase! Im sure the things on your to do list is long! Its rewarding to watch things get done. Weve been at our place for almost 6 years now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:49 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,572 Times in 14,439 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Congratulations.

It is a great time to make the leap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,300 Times in 829 Posts

Congratulations and go slow especially with animals.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Job 31:6

Location: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is where my heart will always be.
Thanked 2,220 Times in 548 Posts

Congrats! We have 5 acres here in Minnesota. We started with chickens....which are a gateway animal. Like all gateway (drugs)…..it soon lead to rabbits....and then we also added goats. Some smaller goats are easier to deal with than the larger ones...but if you have good fencing, even the bigger ones can be held.

Beware....they are rascals! They will soon show you if your fences are weak. Go slow....we use a lot of Hog Panels which are moveable to enlarge or move animals from one zone to another. Using T-poles and hog panels is easy....but the panels aren't cheap. So excited for you! It's a great step toward being much more self reliant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern-Lights For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 03:40 PM

thanks everyone, so I have read that rabbits and chickens can be kept in the same cage, anyone do this? good/bad idea?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:43 PM

Learn all the various ways to preserve excess food production. Such as canning, freeze drying, dehydrating, pickling, salting, etc... Be ready for a LOT of hard work!
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael AP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,647 Times in 6,073 Posts

Be prepared to have every problem in the world....except too much time or too much money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 01:43 PM

I have never had a garden before, reading as much as I can online but thought id ask for opinions here. what are the easiest vegetables to grow?
Old Today, 01:57 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,647 Times in 6,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwrench44 View Post
I have never had a garden before, reading as much as I can online but thought id ask for opinions here. what are the easiest vegetables to grow?
Completely depends on your specific climate and area. Figure out what your neighbors are growing.

At lot of 'easy' vegetables in one place can turn out to be impossible in another.