Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,246 Times in 21,280 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
In any case, the one thing I love about this situation is that unlike so many other arguments here, we will actually get to see what actually happens and sooner rather than later.
Read up on what Vietnam did. Few cases and no deaths at all.

But they threw any shred of rights and freedoms out the window. Oppressive doesn't even begin to explain how they handled it.

Freedom and contagion simply do not get along nicely.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 07:29 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 10,109 Times in 2,178 Posts

H3N2 pandemic of 67/68 is only part of the story.

H3N2 mutated from H2N2 (born in china) which caused a similar pandemic in 57/58 also killing ~100,000 Americans and a million people world wide. We even had a vaccine before it really blew up. H3N2 (influenza type A) is still killing people, though at a significantly reduced rate.

I posted about this on mother's day. I asked my mom if she remembered either of these. She was only 9 in 1957 so no surprise she didn't remember. What did surprise me is that she had no recollection of the 67/68 pandemic as a college student. She remembers all the media surrounding Vietnam, but not the pandemic which killed vastly more Americans right here at home in a much shorter amount of time.

Medical malpractice deaths in the US are around 100K a year and there's no uproar over that. Why? Media isn't pushing it as an agenda.

Not saying the wuhan virus isn't bad. I have family members in their 60's who just got diagnosed and I am very worried about them. What I am saying is that looking back over history it's clear that public response to many things is either stoked or quelled by media. I've been guilty too. Wasn't concerned about 2009 swine flu which infected 61 million Americans, but I bought hard core PPE when Ebola made it to the US and there was a whopping 11 people who got it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,263 Times in 685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
H3N2 pandemic of 67/68 is only part of the story.

H3N2 mutated from H2N2 (born in china) which caused a similar pandemic in 57/58 also killing ~100,000 Americans and a million people world wide. We even had a vaccine before it really blew up. H3N2 (influenza type A) is still killing people, though at a significantly reduced rate.

I posted about this on mother's day. I asked my mom if she remembered either of these. She was only 9 in 1957 so no surprise she didn't remember. What did surprise me is that she had no recollection of the 67/68 pandemic as a college student. She remembers all the media surrounding Vietnam, but not the pandemic which killed vastly more Americans right here at home in a much shorter amount of time.

Medical malpractice deaths in the US are around 100K a year and there's no uproar over that. Why? Media isn't pushing it as an agenda.

Not saying the wuhan virus isn't bad. I have family members in their 60's who just got diagnosed and I am very worried about them. What I am saying is that looking back over history it's clear that public response to many things is either stoked or quelled by media. I've been guilty too. Wasn't concerned about 2009 swine flu which infected 61 million Americans, but I bought hard core PPE when Ebola made it to the US and there was a whopping 11 people who got it.
Only ~5k deaths are where it is the underlying factor, though still ~100k deaths where it is a contributing factor:

"Roughly 5,200 deaths a year from AEMT and 108,000 deaths in which an AEMT was contributory are too many. However, we do no one other than quacks any favors by grossly exaggerating the scope of the problem, and several lines of evidence show that deaths due to AEMTs are decreasing modestly..."

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019...l-errors-2019/
Old 05-16-2020, 12:34 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,275 Times in 347 Posts

I was about 18 in 1968. Still remember what I was wearing as I sat in the middle of the bathroom floor crying. I was hallucinating. Remember the movie The Russians are Coming? I was hallucinating the Russians were coming. I was 4 foot 11 inches and weighed about 95 pounds wearing a rayon yellow jumpsuit with long straight blonde hair. Healthy but sick and out of my mind. I realized at some level the idea of Russians actually coming was not right. Sitting on that cold tile floor and praying my temperature dropped. Never have I been that sick before or since. I remember talk about that flu and me and my sister decided we needed to build immunity and mostly we don’t take the flu shot. We catch everything but this time we are avoiding getting sick.

We don’t seem to build any antibodies against anything but we have native America blood and may be more prone to everything. Moms side. Dad never got sick. Ok, once he got the mumps and once he got the flu but by that time he had cancer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 01:16 PM

NY Post must be reading our forum for story ideas....

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-li...demic-of-1969/
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Prepared

That's funny you brought this up. I was watching an old Carol Burnett rerun the other night and during the skit Carol's character was sick and Harvey's character says something like, "Ew is it the Hong Kong Flu or the Chinese Flu." I checked the date on the episode it was '68.

It struck me as funny because they sure had no issues saying Hong Kong or Chinese to describe the origins of the flu back then. Must have been Pre-CCP-Hollywood.

Also struck me funny that they didn't shut down the economy in 1968, even with the #'s stated in the OP.

Of course, this was before my time so it's all new to me. I was born in '75.
But hearing uncensored words, and a truth in comedy back then is a real treat nowadays.

Kinda of related to the OP, but maybe not.
The Following User Says Thank You to atomicsmurf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
That's funny you brought this up. I was watching an old Carol Burnett rerun the other night and during the skit Carol's character was sick and Harvey's character says something like, "Ew is it the Hong Kong Flu or the Chinese Flu." I checked the date on the episode it was '68.

It struck me as funny because they sure had no issues saying Hong Kong or Chinese to describe the origins of the flu back then. Must have been Pre-CCP-Hollywood.

Also struck me funny that they didn't shut down the economy in 1968, even with the #'s stated in the OP.

Of course, this was before my time so it's all new to me. I was born in '75.
But hearing uncensored words, and a truth in comedy back then is a real treat nowadays.

Kinda of related to the OP, but maybe not.
This thread is all about the perspective of history.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:18 PM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 7,442 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
This thread is all about the perspective of history.

And the best perspectives on history, is from people who actually lived during the time that history was being made.

I was thirteen back in 1968. And while there were were warnings about the Hong Kong flu, there wasn't near the hysteria that Covid is generating today. I don't recall anyone in my family or my community even having HK flu. Or anyone being especially concerned about it. Everything pretty much went on as normal.

Of course, back then we had a much more level-headed media. The sensationalism of today's "news" was relegated to cheap rags at grocery check-out counters back in those days.

Bottom line: I agree fully with the OP.

It's a bad flu. But no worse than other flu "upsurges" that happen every decade or so.

Yes---take standard precautions recommended for decades for any flu season: washing hands, covering coughs, and STAYING HOME WHEN SICK!

But--closing businesses? Enforced distancing? School closings? Basically locking-down the entire economy? NO!

There's clearly an agenda going on. Fueled by hysteria. Pushed by a media that wants website hits and/or pushing a political agenda.

It also fits-in well with power-hungry politicians. Who see more "control" as a truly beneficial thing. Stoking fear and panic has always been a proven method of imposing this control.

There was figure of speech that was common back in those days. One that seems to have fallen into disuse. But always used in situations involving hysteria and panics:

"LET'S ALL JUST KEEP OUR HEADS SCREWED-ON!!"
The Following User Says Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 05:17 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
And the best perspectives on history, is from people who actually lived during the time that history was being made.
I was in my manic I'm gonna be an Astronaut phase. A kid living in Houston in the Apollo era basically had few other life dreams.

Between stupid accidents and childhood diseases I had so many brushes with death by that young age that I was getting numb to life threats by then. I likely had been told but dismissed the danger as fast as I heard it. I thought an ER was like a like a mechanic's shop then. If I was sick/hurt I would expect the ER to bolt me back together and I would get back to what interested me. Young and fearless.

But I would have changed my tune if a family member went seriously ill. I was very protective of my tribe. So it is logical to assume the Hong Kong flu did not visit my family in a serious way then.

I still want to be an astronaut when I grow up.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,647 Times in 6,073 Posts

Quote:
It's a bad flu. But no worse than other flu "upsurges" that happen every decade or so.
I think this is true of the disease from a purely biological point of view.

I think it is going to be worse than that due to secondary effects resulting from a more vulnerable socio-economic system than in years past.

Like I said in another post, even before anyone had heard of this virus a lot of people where predicting financial collapse worst than 2008 this year.

Like the event commonly referred to as 'The Dust Bowl' there are many factors at play when a way of life collapses.

Corona is not like flipping a switch and killing the current economy, and then flipping it back. It was an excuse to start what was going to happen anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

I got the Hong Kong Flu. The only time I actually got sick and laid low by the flu. It was three days of misery for me. In July. Not fun. I don't want coronavirus, but I don't want to crawl in a hole and die either. At some point, we have to all get up, grow a pair, say Obla Di Obla Da Life goes on Son.