Cloth masks can be almost as good as n95s, report says. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-23-2020, 11:05 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 9,741 Times in 2,698 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
You're preachin' to the choir. I'm not going to wear a mask to show solidarity though because the same politicians calling for these mask requirements are the same ones who seem to get off on playing dictator...
OH!

I guess that it would depend upon my current location, a Red state or a Blue state.

I can totally see me flipping the bit if I were in a Blue state... Maybe in a Blue state with freedom lost zombies, I might be even more proactive about wearing a full M-17 mask and gear for each shopping trip.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprig For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 PM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
OH!

I guess that it would depend upon my current location, a Red state or a Blue state.

I can totally see me flipping the bit if I were in a Blue state... Maybe in a Blue state with freedom lost zombies, I might be even more proactive about wearing a full M-17 mask and gear for each shopping trip.
Now don't go around triggering the blue NPCs. They'll start screaming about how you're supposed to leave the good stuff for the "essential workers".
Old 05-23-2020, 11:13 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,247 Times in 21,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
OH!

I must say I'm on the fence about this. I can truly see his point. That blue state crap needs resistance.

But I also want to not infect others. Too many years working at hospitals breeds a no-harm mindset.

I suppose I'll just have to take a pass on judgment and be thankful I'm in a red state.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Notice the 8% leakage rate pretty much across the board for paper dust mask up to N95 with its 5% typical leak rate

We all seal the N95 to the skin with melted wax right?

Tight fitting, vs Loose fitting respirators.
In nursing i was taught pretty easily: they covered your head with a wrapping, and put a very foul smelling chemical under it. If you could smell it, it was fitted wrong. If you couldn't fit it right, you taped it to your face. Not comfortable, but pretty effective.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:24 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,154 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Virtue signaling has become a dirty word for obvious reasons.

But if the virtue is that you are trying to reduce your chances of giving me a deadly disease I don't see the problem.

I actually carry a gun more for others than myself also. The chances of ME being specifically targeted in public are very low, the chances of someone else being targeted in my vicinity are much higher.

I wish the same people who are the most likely to wear masks would also realize that about guns.
While others here would seemingly start shooting guns around the place and then tell someone who's hit they should have been wearing body armor. Can't expect others to keep you safe, now can you, if you're afraid of bullets, you should stay inside in a bunker or wear body armor. No need to keep your bullets contained, according to their logic regarding masks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:32 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,247 Times in 21,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
In nursing i was taught pretty easily: they covered your head with a wrapping, and put a very foul smelling chemical under it. If you could smell it, it was fitted wrong. If you couldn't fit it right, you taped it to your face. Not comfortable, but pretty effective.
If you've ever been given a banana oil test then you have a civilian's good understanding of mask fitting.

It's a universal civilian standard. Military though, likes CS gas and that definitely punctuates the lesson with pain.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,476 Posts

95%. 98%. 99%. Almost ALL virus and vapor capable of carrying the virus has dropped below your infectious holes (eyes/nose/mouth) at 4-5 feet. At 6 feet the probability of infection is so low to be a statistical anomaly. The extra 2, 3, 5% you get by using various barriers and designs on your face amounts to no improvement in protection at 6 feet.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:48 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 37,337 Times in 8,942 Posts

Old 05-27-2020, 08:31 AM
Emergency Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post

I love YouTube scientists.

Quote:
The gas is emitted when a person coughs, sneezes, or exhales.
Quote:
turbulent gas cloud
Respiratory droplets and aerosols are not a gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 08:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,476 Posts

The distance a cough sneeze travels is kind of irrelevant. Mucus and saliva, while gross, are not infectious in and of themselves. What is important is the amount of pathogen in the saliva and mucus. There has to be enough to cause infection otherwise it isn't going to do anything. Most people do not just openly cough and sneeze into the air. Most people cover their infection holes at least partially. Others direct it to unoccupied areas in addition to covering.

Personally, if someone is coughing and sneezing in a store I don't make an effort to get close to them, even before COVID. I actually keep my distance, because DUH.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 37,337 Times in 8,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
I love YouTube scientists.

Respiratory droplets and aerosols are not a gas.
However gas can provide upward force on a respiratory droplet to prevent it from falling,which is clearly what is being demonstrated and explained. 90% of the collection of videos are coming from researchers such as MIT. I originally posted half a dozen from those sources, bit found a single collection video that included them that was a lot less messy for a post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Emergency Manager

Default Cloth masks can be almost as good as n95s, report says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
However gas can provide upward force on a respiratory droplet to prevent it from falling,which is clearly what is being demonstrated and explained. 90% of the collection of videos are coming from researchers such as MIT. I originally posted half a dozen from those sources, bit found a single collection video that included them that was a lot less messy for a post.

Yes, if you include a hot or lighter-than-air gas. Otherwise the droplets are at the mercy of gravity and local air currents. Add to that the effects of evaporation. Someone who sneezes, coughs, or breathes is not going to infect someone with COVID 199 feet away.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,984 Times in 23,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
I learned with sulfurous acid and SO2 from a lead/zinc smelter, while shovelling ore onto belts in 100 deg heat, high humidity, in underground tunnels with deficient O2 content depending upon whether the roaster draft was maintained or screwed up. and no analyzers, no alarms as to when to climb out of the tunnel. Basically if you started passing out, it was time to climb the ladder out and hope you didn't pass out on the way out.

Without the respirator the airway would spasm closed.

Summer job when putting myself through college.
MSA ComfoII with carbon screw in Acid gas filters and particulate filters (for the lead dust) on top of that which would clog every couple hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,910 Times in 3,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

A long, scientific article which means most won't actually read it. But for those who are interested, testing shows a properly constructed cloth mask can be almost as effective as an n95.

And as we should already know, fit is the most important factor and can influence the results by 50% or more.

One layer of 600 thread per square inch cotton material, often found in sheets, is 98.4% efficient at corona scale particulates, compared to n95 which is 99.9.
I don’t believe that. Trump doesn’t wear a mask so why should I? Jk, no!!! A mask made out of cloth will not have the same seal. I often wear a respirator with p100 filters if I know I will inside a crowded area like say the supermarket. I think that’s better than any practical mask including N95. Plus, respirators are immediately rewash-able for re use
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post: