fencing fun... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,230 Times in 510 Posts
Default fencing fun...

Advertise Here

Well, the wife finally decided to give up and go start buying fencing materials. She came home with three corner posts, and H-brace, about 1.5 tons of gravel and about 15 80lb bags of concrete (or is is cement, can't keep that straight). I borrowed a 3pt auger from a neighbor. We had a couple young, strong guys come over to help and we hit it hard last Saturday. Well... not really hard but we got some done. I'd never used an auger before but dang... rich people's toys are sure nice when they work! Got all three corners set and the h-brace too before noon and we never worked hard. Then we ordered some pizza and the young, strong guys went to work with the post driver and about 50 t-posts.
I was just there to supervise and make sure they put them in the right amount.

We have two pivot corners being made and some more corners to pick up this week. I guess we'll get those set this weekend and maybe some more t-posts. I figure I have about 150 more t-posts to set. I tried pushing one in with my bucket, but my tractor don't have enough oooomph for it. This week I'm going to get a full bucket of gravel on there and then try. Maybe an extra 800 lbs or whatever will help.

We are also picking up a load of telephone poles this week. We are going to make gravel parking area for our extra trucks and visitors. Momma didn't like walking out there in the grass (even mowed short) at night. She finally agreed with me that if we had gravel you could see snakes better AND stay out of the mud. I'm gonna trench out a little place for the poles to lay, then have some gravel delivered and dumped in place. Should make an easy day of it with the box blade to spread it.

One thing after another on this place. Just trying to keep momma from pinching every thin dime in two and making it all look cheap. It's a nice place, but we don't intend to stay here too long so I don't want to make the value go DOWN with what we do. She is inherently cheap and will do what ever is "good enough" instead of what is nice or will enhance the value.

So that was this weekend... got another one coming up with good, cool weather. Have to knock out what we can before it gets stupidly hot for the summer right?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,300 Times in 829 Posts

When we drive t-post with a front end loader, we put the post in a piece of oil field pipe while we drive it. The pipe keeps the posts from bending and we use it as a guide so we don’t drive the post to deep.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,729 Times in 5,950 Posts

I got excited I thought you were going to talk about sword fighting.
Have fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Trapper

how do you keep the pipe up on top of the t-post? Or do you just set a 5' piece of pipe over the post and push it down until the post is even with the top of the pipe?
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,484 Posts

Pushing in t posts with a loader can be very dangerous the post can break and go flying or ot can slip and go flying.

You can make it much safer by encasing the top 3 feet of the post with a pipe welded/bolted/ chained to the bucket.

Or chain the posts to the bucket. If it slips or breaks the chain will stop it from flying too far.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,300 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
how do you keep the pipe up on top of the t-post? Or do you just set a 5' piece of pipe over the post and push it down until the post is even with the top of the pipe?
Cut the pipe the length that you want the t-post to stick out of the ground, put the pipe over the post (the pipe will rest on the t-postís anchor) and push down on the post/pipe with the front end loader until the bottom of the pipe is on the ground.

As lasers said driving t-post with a tractor can be very dangerous so proceed at your own risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Trapper

That was what I was thinking but then I was thinking about using a length of pipe over the top of the t-post sort of like a manual post driver. I think when we get the corners today or tomorrow I'll get a length of pipe too and give it a shot that way. Would be nice if the wife would come off of her cheap streak and just let me buy a hydraulic post setter for the tractor. But then... us guys like our toys even if we won't use them but maybe two more times in our life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 11:19 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 8,490 Times in 3,333 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoLimaDelta View Post
Cut the pipe the length that you want the t-post to stick out of the ground, put the pipe over the post (the pipe will rest on the t-postís anchor) and push down on the post/pipe with the front end loader until the bottom of the pipe is on the ground.

As lasers said driving t-post with a tractor can be very dangerous so proceed at your own risk.
Great idea! Thanks! (although too late for our orchard fencing project, that we just finished last weekend.)
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 03:10 PM
Trapper

We have several pipe lines running across our property. Of course we had them marked before we started any of the digging portion of fencing this place. They all sort of come together in one place and the pipeline company said to call and they would help us set the corners in that area. So my wife called them... yeah they came right away. Three guys came out. They walked it out and used their detectors ect over and over for about an hour to get it exactly right. I dropped offline from work and went out real quick, fired up the little tractor with the auger on it, dug six holes, set the corners, levelled them with gravel, poured in a bag of concrete for each leg, dumped in about 2 gallons of water on each and was back inside to work in less than 45 minutes. Sure helps to have several extra sets of hands. Only five more to do tomorrow and then a bunch of t-posts. Some day we will start running that top barbed wire and the other four strands of smooth. I think I'm going to try some Lock-Jawz fence ties. They look easier and faster than regular ties.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:51 PM
patriarch

Thanked 6,169 Times in 2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I got excited I thought you were going to talk about sword fighting.
Have fun.
I have installed many barb wire fencing, and yep, it is like sword fighting!
If your not careful, fingers can be lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM
Trapper

Got about 4 more corners and a pivot corner set Saturday morning. Man... I LOVE digging holes with an auger! Just set on the tractor and run them controls... so EASY. No post hole diggers required! Then we set another 120 t-posts or so. We have probably another 50 or so to set when I can buy them. Probably weekend after this. THEN we have to figure out the gate post spacing. Only reason we haven't done that yet is because I want a certain gate and the wife wants something different. I'll probably lose that one. But we have some 12' telephone pole pieces that I intend to you for the gate posts. I'll cut them down to about 8 feet, set them 3 feet and have them stick up 5 feet just like the t-posts. That is for a truck gate in the back. Probably a 16 foot with a roller support on the end, maybe two 8's... we'll see. Has to be wide because right there we can't drive through straight, have to sort of hit it at an angle so it has to be wider than normal.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
Got about 4 more corners and a pivot corner set Saturday morning. Man... I LOVE digging holes with an auger! Just set on the tractor and run them controls... so EASY. No post hole diggers required! Then we set another 120 t-posts or so. We have probably another 50 or so to set when I can buy them. Probably weekend after this. THEN we have to figure out the gate post spacing. Only reason we haven't done that yet is because I want a certain gate and the wife wants something different. I'll probably lose that one. ....
How long have you been married? DON'T ASK FOR OPINIONS
Old 05-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Trapper

yeah... that gets brutal.