Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,707 Times in 713 Posts

Advertise Here

I picked up a well used "custom BDL grade w/basket weave checkering" model 742 about 15 years ago, and read all the online stuff about how bad they are. I've never had a jam, or any issues whatsoever. mine is a 1975 model.

eventually it will wear out and be junk. just not in my lifetime. or my kids lifetime. after the 45 years it's seen deer hunting, I dare say it will go another 100.

I suppose if you fired it non-stop at the range like an AK or AR or SKS or something you may have problems after thousands of rounds.

as a deer rifle, the wear issues on the rail are greatly exaggerated. they can be stoned and honed as well if they start to slam and wear, there are also some gunsmith tricks that can be done to "save" a worn out sentimental rifle if needed.

you'll get over the negative press and enjoy the beauty and accuracy of these rifles. I did, and wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one. some day real walnut may be worth something over black plastic, but if not they are beautiful guns either way.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Village idiot

I made a lot of money in the late 80s/ early 90s on them. Folks were bad to shoot them straight out of the box without cleaning the packing preservatives ( cosmoline) from them. The instructions were explicit about this for good reason. It would bake onto the chamber walls and cause stuck cases. A good thorough cleaning to get all of the residue out then a decent lubrication would put them back in top shape. They always shot decent groups no matter what caliber. I would resell at a profit and hunt more projects. Bought several Ruger MkI and IIs that folks couldn’t get back together too!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitchell3006 For This Useful Post: