Hatchery sold out from July - December 2020 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,267 Times in 8,121 Posts
Default Hatchery sold out from July - December 2020

Advertise Here

Over the past couple of months I have visited 4 different local feed stores, and called several more. All of them have the same story - "They can not get chicks."

So I decided to call Murray McMurray Hatchery to get first hand information. Why Murray McMurray Hatchery? Because they are the nearest commercial hatchery. The nice lady who answered the phone says they are shipping chicks out like they always do, but demand is outstripping supply. I asked about your typical dual purpose heritage breeds:
  • Black Australorp
  • Barred Rock
  • Rhode Island Red
  • Wyandotte
  • Buff Orpington
  • Production Reds... etc.

She told me just about all of their breeds were sold out until July. Popular breeds such as the Barred Rock were sold out until December 2020. I had to take a step back and think about the situation. The nice lady and I spoke for a few minutes, in which I explained I had wanted some earlier than July.

After hanging up I made a few phone calls and found a local guy who has an incubator. He had around 27 chicks that were 2 months old. I bought all 27 chicks. They had not been sexed, so some of them may end up in the freezer.

The guy said he was putting eggs in the incubator and should have more chicks for sale in around 21 days.

The chicks I bought were a mix of heritage breeds that I had been looking for. The rooster was an Australorp, and the hens were a mix of Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Production Red or Sex link... and a few others.

I typically buy around a dozen to 18 chicks ever spring. Last tear (2019) I was working away from home all spring, so I have not had any new chicks in two years. Hopefully this will be my flock back up to around where I want it to be.

The chicken house is 16 feet X 16 feet, and the chicken yard is around 180 feet by 200 feet. The yard is a little wider and longer on one end than the other. When the chicken house and yard were built I had originally designed it to hold around 40 - 50 chickens. The current additions bring me up to around 36 or 37 chickens, and two guineas.

Depending on how this Coronavirus situation plays out I may add another dozen chickens. This gives me around 3 weeks to figure out if I want more chickens, or this is enough.

One deciding factor is how many of the new chickens are roosters. I would keep a couple of the large roosters, then butcher the rest. Even if half of the new chicks are roosters, that gives me around 2 dozen laying hens.

Back to the original topic, this whole Coronavirus plague has shown how easily demand can outstrip supply. Shelves have been restocked, but now we are looking at meat shortages.

Time will tell how this plays out, but my family and I are prepping the best we can.

~~ EDIT ~~

I feel I am behind the curve because last year I did not get any new chickens.

Last edited by kev; 05-06-2020 at 08:27 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,568 Times in 613 Posts

Can`t you folks that raise chickens just have a rooster around and hatch your own chicks? Or is this more of a pain than its worth?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 70,194 Times in 21,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
Can`t you folks that raise chickens just have a rooster around and hatch your own chicks? Or is this more of a pain than its worth?
Many breeds have been selectively bred so that they won't go broody and sit on eggs.

This keeps egg production up, at the cost of sustainability.
(Something the people selling you chickens see as a good thing.)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,368 Times in 1,696 Posts

I just picked up 8 chicks today from Tractor Supply. Something has been eating my chickens. 3 gone this week. I put a game cam in the coop and also put some heavy duty wire cloth around the eaves of the coop. That is the only way something can get inside.

Kev- Are sure Ideal Poultry in Bryan, TX isn't your closest hatchery? They usually have lots of chicks.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,267 Times in 8,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
That is an excellent question, and the answer is yes and no.

Some breeds such as the Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red have been selectively bred over the past 100+ years they no longer go broody - which means sit on eggs to hatch them out. Will those breeds go broody, yes, but it is rare. Sure as I say that someone will say, "Every Barred Rock I ever had went broody."

Other breeds such as the Australorp and Buff Orpington still go broody and will hatch out chicks. Couple of my current laying hens were hatched by a Buff Orpington, she was an excellent mother.

Then there are incubators. If you have a rooster just collect the eggs and put them in an incubator, which is what the guy I got my chicks from does.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 10:04 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,086 Posts

We hatched eggs (partly so our granddaughter could experience it, partly because we wanted to) our incubator will hold 41 eggs (with the auto turner, more without it- manual turning) our plan was to kill the young cockerels as fryers, this hit and they're out there getting bigger and bigger (more meat) . I've been debating on maybe hatching some more maybe every other month for "insurance" as meat is pretty good from home grown cockerels IMO.

Kev if you were closer I'd give you eggs or hatch chicks for you, but fertile eggs don't really ship well IME
Old 05-06-2020, 10:12 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 8,490 Times in 3,333 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I've had several hens go broody, and currently have 2 sitting on eggs. I also have a couple of incubators with the egg turners going - mainly with turkey eggs, since those girls aren't going broody at all, but with a few chicken eggs, as well. So far have two chicks in the brooder, with several more eggs coming along.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

Some breeds such as the Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red have been selectively bred over the past 100+ years they no longer go broody - which means sit on eggs to hatch them out. Will those breeds go broody, yes, but it is rare. Sure as I say that someone will say, "Every Barred Rock I ever had went broody."

Other breeds such as the Australorp and Buff Orpington still go broody and will hatch out chicks. Couple of my current laying hens were hatched by a Buff Orpington, she was an excellent mother.

Then there are incubators. If you have a rooster just collect the eggs and put them in an incubator, which is what the guy I got my chicks from does.
Do you put them in every day? As in a lot of incubators
Old 05-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,086 Posts

We put all the eggs into the incubator at the same time so they hatch nearly the same time (if they're going to hatch) all our eggs are fertile so most hatch (we have plenty of roosters and cockerels(young roosters)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:49 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,985 Times in 23,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
We hatched eggs (partly so our granddaughter could experience it, partly because we wanted to) our incubator will hold 41 eggs (with the auto turner, more without it- manual turning) our plan was to kill the young cockerels as fryers, this hit and they're out there getting bigger and bigger (more meat) . I've been debating on maybe hatching some more maybe every other month for "insurance" as meat is pretty good from home grown cockerels IMO.

Kev if you were closer I'd give you eggs or hatch chicks for you, but fertile eggs don't really ship well IME
When I bought ducks from McMurray hatchery, they mailed the newly hatched ducklings to be overnight mail in a box. You had to order at least a dozen I think and the idea was that was enough that they would keep each other warm. They self sustained food and water wise in the mail, supposedly because they still were using the yolk sac to some extent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 26,198 Times in 7,713 Posts
Talking CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

Well.................now that you mentioned it..................

We have a few silkies just for their momma duties.......

as always YMMV
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,515 Times in 767 Posts

I had a broody hen hatch out eggs several years ago. The black snakes ate them within 3 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to da_wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,569 Times in 3,838 Posts

Try watching for their hatch day specials.

You probably won't see as many or as good of prices as in previous years (like .70 each for silkies! $1.25 for pullets!). But I'm sure there will be deals to be had. Or at least chicks!

Hatcheries have to count their chickens before they hatch. And it's hard to be 100% accurate. So they only have a certain % of the hatch available to allow for bad eggs.

Once they hatch, they may have had a better hatch rate than planned and they have plenty of extras. Since baby chicks can only be shipped within 24 hours of hatching, they need to be sold ASAP.

Ideal was one of my favorites for this. Often it would just be a quick note on their Facebook page saying they've got extras of this and that, call in only, must ship out today. And you could get them dirt cheap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,569 Times in 3,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
When I bought ducks from McMurray hatchery, they mailed the newly hatched ducklings to be overnight mail in a box. You had to order at least a dozen I think and the idea was that was enough that they would keep each other warm. They self sustained food and water wise in the mail, supposedly because they still were using the yolk sac to some extent.
The yolk sac will provide enough nutrients and water for about 3 days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 03:58 PM

I have pure Australorps and there will always be one or two that want to go broody. I built my own incubator 3-4 years ago. I've already hatched one batch this year and have another in there now. I'm going to try and sell this batch. If not, I'll just stick them out with the others. You can never have too many chickens!
The Following User Says Thank You to tantor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 08:28 PM

We maintain about 20 layers. Have 75 meaties hitting the post office tomorrow, and another 75 are booked for the end of July.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 11:14 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 8,490 Times in 3,333 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I'm hatching my own, both chickens and turkeys. No, they are NOT "purebreds", but they ARE a cross of a couple of heritage breeds, and I'm hoping to "size up" from a couple of my purebred hens that are smaller by crossing them with a larger crossbreed rooster. The turkey poults are going to be either straight Bourbon Red, straight Royal Palm, or a cross between them (unless they from my one hen who was SUPPOSED to be a Royal Palm, but looks more like a Blue Slate to me.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,194 Times in 3,064 Posts

Just got back from Tractor Supply, they had plenty of cute peeping chicks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,124 Times in 4,539 Posts

We got some chicks at the Rural King last week. 5 hens various breeds, and 5 cornish cross. The meat chicks eat and eat and are almost twice as big as the hens already!! We need to put them in different boxes soon but tonight they are going to be in the house because even with a heat lamp it won't be warm enough for them where they're at.
We also ordered 25 more meat birds but they are not supposed to get here until end of May

I also actually got 2 lamps I ordered online, only to figure out I only ordered the bulbs, and not the holders...stupid
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post: