When do you harvest potatoes? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2020, 09:16 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,268 Times in 8,121 Posts
Default When do you harvest potatoes?

Advertise Here

One of the common questions I see about potatoes is when should they be harvested? The simple answer is potatoes can be harvested anytime. Typically, potatoes will start forming several weeks after the seed potato was planted and the plant top formed.

However, if you want maximum production, wait until the tops of the plants start to die.

A couple of weeks before potatoes are ready to harvest blooms may appear on the top of the plant. Some people may think seeds are suppose to be saved from the blooms, but that is not true. Potatoes are grown from part of last years harvest.

This years potato crop was planted in early February. Even though they were planted early, the harvest time did not change as the the potato cuttings sat in the ground for several weeks before sprouting.

This years crop is a little different as it is being grown during the Coronavirus outbreak. We typically give a lot of potatoes away. However, I suspect this year we are going to save most of them and put them into storage.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 09:42 PM

I have known folks that leave them in the ground all winter if the winters in the area are on the milder side. Just go dig a hill when you need some.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ronald_55 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Yes, as Ronald_55 says, you can leave them in the ground in mild areas.
Commercial growers will spray the tops to kill them, leave the tubers in the ground and dig them up as they can sell them.

It might be my imagination but they seem to taste better fresh out of the ground too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 10:25 PM
Target Shooter

The longer you can leave them in the ground before you harvest them, the longer they will store once they are harvested. Just don't leave them in the ground so long that they start to sprout again as the weather warms up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rosebud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 10:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,017 Times in 2,975 Posts

I used to dig them when the tops died, but someone told me to leave them in the ground until fall. They store a lot longer when I do that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:38 PM
Bugged out already

Thanked 7,361 Times in 2,905 Posts

We typically harvest at the first good frost, which is early September. We won’t get them into the ground until the very end of May.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:50 PM
Squared away like a donut

Thanked 1,152 Times in 325 Posts

All good info for me. Been growing veggies for years, but just started taking potato growing serious last year. I guess because I got away from eating many of them for several years, then fell in love with them again. Now I crave them and could eat them daily. Thanks all for the input, and to Kev for starting the thread.

Last edited by Ole Grunt; 05-04-2020 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 03:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,221 Times in 598 Posts

I put my sweet potatoes in the ground around 1st of May then dig them the day before the 1st frost is called for, usually end of September
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:53 AM
patriarch

Thanked 6,169 Times in 2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
I used to dig them when the tops died, but someone told me to leave them in the ground until fall. They store a lot longer when I do that.
This is true.
I store our few we raise or purchase in a potato clamp in the middle of the garden. I think they taste better stored in the earth. Also, they don't loose their moisture and swivel up. They will keep until ur able to rob new potatoes from hills.

Our frost line/frost depth is 20". Although the ground hasn't froze no more than couple inches for years. Its not feasible or productive to leave them in the hills they were grown in no latter than late fall. We do have grubs, rodents, and wet weather that can effect the spuds.
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,230 Times in 510 Posts

I guess if you leave them in the ground, you don't have to worry about critters and bugs eating them?
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 11:49 AM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 27,953 Times in 7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
I guess if you leave them in the ground, you don't have to worry about critters and bugs eating them?
Nematodes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,041 Times in 1,216 Posts

Other than snagging a few for 'eating'... I like to wait a long as possible in the Fall here in Michigan. To do this, I make sure the soil is covering any exposed potatoes as the vines die back. When the nights start dropping into the low 40's F, I clean and hose down the root cellar to clean it up for winter. Then, I open the root cellar and run a fan over night to blow in 'cold air' to help chill the walls for a few evenings. I use an old pull behind potato digger which saves a lot of labor, but does damage some.

The dug potatoes go into the barn to avoid the sunlight and get sorted.... those with damage to be eaten & given away in Nov/Dec, and those to go into the root cellar for the long run. I also set aside the best of the best for next years seed potatoes.

inMichigan
Old 05-05-2020, 02:10 PM

My grandfather had a tradition of digging potatoes on his birthday, July 1st. This was in Northeast Alabama during the 1930's-1940's, your mileage may vary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IDVague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 03:52 PM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 5,894 Times in 2,275 Posts

We plant our potatoes anywhere from mid February to maybe the first week of March, depending on how wet the soil is. Then they're dug late May to mid June or so, depending on when they were planted.

This year they didn't get in until March 12 because of 8" of rain in February so digging will be sometime in June, I guess.

Sweet potato slips will go in this Thursday and probably dug around mid September.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
A couple of weeks before potatoes are ready to harvest blooms may appear on the top of the plant. Some people may think seeds are suppose to be saved from the blooms, but that is not true. Potatoes are grown from part of last years harvest..
You can grow from the seeds but they will not grow true, but they will indeed produce potatoes. The seeds are viable for quite a few years. So maybe save some for 'just in case'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,017 Times in 2,975 Posts

I suppose that you could choose the best tubers from spuds grown from seed and plant them the next season. Be interesting to play with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post: