Rosesandtea's Garden 2012 - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rosesandtea's 2013 Garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 62 10-23-2013 09:23 AM
Way's garden-the 2012 season WAY TO GO Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 30 07-26-2012 09:47 AM
skypony38's 2012 garden skypony38 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-08-2012 01:26 PM
Grim's Garden 2012 GrimReaper Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 19 04-26-2012 01:12 PM
Dread's 2012 Garden Dreadmoc Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 03-30-2012 11:34 AM
N4S 2012 Garden Need4Survival Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 02-14-2012 02:31 PM
Rosesandtea's 2011 garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 88 12-02-2011 12:22 PM
Rosesandtea's 2010 garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 47 10-13-2010 05:12 PM
Rosesandtea's garden June 2009 Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 06-23-2009 07:11 PM
Rosesandtea's garden Rosesandtea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 04-25-2009 09:29 AM

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,249 Times in 8,829 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosesandtea View Post
Yes, I thought it might be. Problem is we only have an electric mower so up at the allotment we were a bit stuck.

I am hoping to rake it over a bit today, and then rotovate it again. Hopefully that will help. I hope the fact that it did not rain again since we first did it will help. I'm wondering about planting the plants thru a cardboard or Polythene mulch, if that will kill some of the weeds off while allowing my plants to grow.

There will be much to do on this allotment! I was grateful yesterday for my raised beds at home - a bit of raking and they were ready to go!
I know you have probably seen my posts about using old carpet to put in between the rows to cut down on weeds. Alan is using big square pieces, to plant melons and large types of squash. He is going to cut holes in the carpet for the plants to grow. I don't know how you feel about asking a manager of a flooring company if you can dig in their dumpster LOL or digging in one, but the guy who owns the flooring company was very nice and happy to let us. I will bring him some produce, to say thanks. This dumpster does not have a bunch of rotted garbage in it, just flooring stuff and maybe a closed garbage bag here and there.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Thanked 5,559 Times in 2,305 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default May 13, 2012

We did a bit of work on the allotment this weekend, only about 5 hours spread over 2 days.
First here is a photo of an apple blossom here at home:

Here is a little video of the allotment just before dh and I went home this evening.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase
Default 18 May 2012

Today I planted some tomato plants that I bought about a week and a half ago.

When he got home and had dinner dh helped me put on the netting over the hoops. This is to help keep the puppy out. Then he brought over the pots of azaleas that are in bloom again.

My daughter and I discovered that the strawberries in pots from last year were still alive! She put them near the potatoes I had planted in pots.

Here is a look at the bed I sowed a while ago. The radishes are peeking through and some of the lettuce although it looks like some of the lettuce seeds got washed down into a little pile from the rain. Very little sign of the carrots yet.

Dh, I and youngest daughter are planning on going to a family pet show tomorrow so we put Sarah the banty into the box so she could see it before she travels tomorrow.

After a foot and bum wash in the purple tub we let her out on the clean grass to peck around a bit before shutting her up. I'm thinking in the next few years we might start going to shows so this is a good way to learn.

I love these plastic tubs and might even do a video on them I have already found them so useful!!

Thank you for visiting my thread!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,271 Posts

I really need to do what you've done and put hoops over my raised beds. It would keep pest management much easier!
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Simonson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase
Default May 21 2012

Tonight dh and I went to the allotment to water the plants. We found that the squashes and pumpkins, and peas, were all OK but the cabbages had been eaten by birds. I took off the cloches from the squashes and put them on the cabbages.

I notice this one allotment at the end doesn't seem to be worked. I have to say I spent a little wistful time lingering and looking at it. I was thinking if we could have that plot too and had newer and sturdier chicken arks we could put some on the plot and then slowly start working the land a bit too. Or how about a few duckies? And repair the polytunnel? Hm, Roses, "thou shalt not covet!"

This week we're supposed to have some good and warm weather so I hope to get some work done in our home garden as well. I am going to have to figure out what to do to dog proof the plants, step by step. Tbh that is what is slowing me down a wee bit.

Thanks for looking!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 AM
what?

Sorry to hear about your cabbages....
Its a not easy earned produce, even on my small scale gardening.
For the last couple of days I collected hundreds of snails, all bound to get on my flimsy Kidney-Beanplants....

BTW, I enjoy your gardenthread very much.
Cheers, WTG
The Following User Says Thank You to WAY TO GO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

Thank you WTG! I hope your beanplants thrive!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 PM
USMC 4 LIFE

all this is some great work. i wish i could show mine off. dont no how to post pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to bloodwynd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase
Default 27 May

Things are still going along in the home garden and there is still lots to do there. Radishes, lettuces and carrots are finally making a move. The tomatoes that I bought as plants and put out, are doing well so far. I have loads and loads of things that I need to plant in our home garden, the allotment, or in pots. I really need to get a move on.

At the allotment this evening dh and I planted out some bean plants I started at home. I took along some mature manure to lay in the mini-trench dh dug before placing the plants on them.

I want to put out a few more pumpkin and squash plants out there, as well as more beans. I think the cabbage plants will all need to be replanted and I might just break down and buy some instead of trying to start them. I have 6 waiting to be planted - I might do some here.

One thing the allotment is showing me is how good it is to have soil that has been worked and improved. How grateful I am for my raised beds at home, and even just the planting areas are much better than the awful soil at the allotment.

I would like to get some of my Parisian pickling cucumbers planted out at home, and I have had so many failures with them that I think I will sow another whole tray of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,008 Posts
Awards Showcase

i agree that soil thats improved and work makes things a lot easier

i got realy lucky here the soils realy good to start with ,,,most of it has been a fallow field for years so the grasses and weeds just kept building up the topsoil,,,most of my ground the topsoils a spade depth deep or more befor i hit clay,,,i still intend to improve it but theres not as big a rush as if if it was clay all the way
The Following User Says Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

I feel for you regarding the failures in seed starts. Peppers were the pits. Got them growing, hardened them off, and many of them died when I put them in the garden. I had to go out and buy plants. Too bad I couldn't find Anaheims to replace the ones I've lost.

Good luck in the allotment. Can you find a kindly farmer who might give you some horse manure? How do allotments work there? I imagine you keep the same bit of land until you don't want it anymore. I'm looking forward to more photos.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Simonson View Post
I feel for you regarding the failures in seed starts. Peppers were the pits. Got them growing, hardened them off, and many of them died when I put them in the garden. I had to go out and buy plants. Too bad I couldn't find Anaheims to replace the ones I've lost.

Good luck in the allotment. Can you find a kindly farmer who might give you some horse manure? How do allotments work there? I imagine you keep the same bit of land until you don't want it anymore. I'm looking forward to more photos.
Doc, it seems that several people are having trouble with pepper germination this year.

There is a local smallholder who comes and delivers manure to the allotments, and I can get it on Freecycle from time to time. Allotments are rented from the local town or village council. It is a law in England that community council provide places for people who want to garden. (Home gardens/yards are usually quite small here.) You rent a plot or half plot. Usually you must pay a bond, and then also a yearly rent which by law must not be very high. My bond was 25.00, and come Sept I will have to pay the yearly rent which is 30.00 for a half plot.

The idea is that when there are waiting lists the council ascertains if plots are not really being used, and forces the owner to give it up. My half plot had been very little used but had been planted with leeks last year, but most of the ground, as I said, is terrible.

The owner of the plot with the dilapidated hoop house (polytunnel) has medical issues which prevent him working regularly, and I think the council has been rightly lenient with him. Apparently when he is having a period of good health the plot is very well done. Knowing this has kept me from being so envious!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase
Default Tubtrugs

I found a piece of gardening equipment so useful that I wanted to share it with you. I'm pretty sure you will have something like it in the US, you usually do!!

And here is some gratuitous compost p0rn:

Thanks for looking at my thread!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

When I lived in Munich I noticed all of the allotments there. Often they would be found next to railway tracks. Most of them had a small Huette or hut which was very nice looking, most had a Maibaum. Often there would be a small patio in front of the hut and a Biergarten table or small patio set. From the train I could see folks enjoying their allotment, sitting out and watching a bit of footie while sipping Weissbier. These allotments were very well manicured, and usually had both edibles and decorative plants in them. I am not sure, but these lots must not have changed hands very frequently, or they wouldn't have been so elaborate.

My compost in the plastic bin never looks that good. After three years I could still distinguish the various components. Oh! There's an egg shell and that's an orange peel. And just look at all of those potato peelings! I still use that bin, but most of my compost I just dump in a pile!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
My compost in the plastic bin never looks that good. After three years I could still distinguish the various components. Oh! There's an egg shell and that's an orange peel. And just look at all of those potato peelings! I still use that bin, but most of my compost I just dump in a pile!
LOL when my son got it into the orange tub, it did have egg shells and such in them!! I just put it on the garden anyway!

So far this afternoon I have raked over two beds and weeded them, and spread some compost through them, and planted about 6 tomatoes seedlings, and 10 Parisian pickling cucumbers. I need to get back out there and do a bit more. But I am out of shape and it is warm for here, so I am only doing a bit at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,249 Times in 8,829 Posts

Before this thread, I never heard of allotments. Is that land, used mainly for gardens?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorwoman View Post
Before this thread, I never heard of allotments. Is that land, used mainly for gardens?
Pretty much. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, when I lived in either of those states, they were called Community Gardens. For a small fee you could rent a plot for the year. There was no guarantee that you'd get the same plot from year to year. My wife and I never made improvements other than a bit of fertilizer or manure. At the end of the year you had to remove fences and anything else that was not soil (or plants) and then the city would plow it all under. It was a great way for apartment dwellers to get some dirt time.

Dang! Just noticed that you are in Wisconsin. I lived in a small town just NE of Madison. There was a large plot of land that the city used for the community gardens. It was next to the main library (ok it was the only library).

Last edited by Doc Simonson; 05-30-2012 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: added info.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Pretty much. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, when I lived in either of those states, they were called Community Gardens. For a small fee you could rent a plot for the year. There was no guarantee that you'd get the same plot from year to year. My wife and I never made improvements other than a bit of fertilizer or manure. At the end of the year you had to remove fences and anything else that was not soil (or plants) and then the city would plow it all under. It was a great way for apartment dwellers to get some dirt time.

Dang! Just noticed that you are in Wisconsin. I lived in a small town just NE of Madison. There was a large plot of land that the city used for the community gardens. It was next to the main library (ok it was the only library).
Thanks for that, Doc.

Over here you get to keep the same plot year after year. It does make it easier to get your plot how you want it, but sometimes if the council is not careful you get people not really using them and sitting on the plot, not letting others use it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase
Default 1 June - My garden, by night

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase
Default 13 June 2012

We got a used greenhouse from someone, and dh has been putting it up over the last week. He has nearly finished (it's been raining a lot and normally he has to do it after work).

Someone on this forum told me about her method of doing potatoes - a no-dig method. I was about to give up on some seed potatoes I had as I just didn't know where I was going to put them or how I'd find time in between the constant rain showers to dig "proper" trenches. So I was pleased to hear about a dump-them-and-be-done method!!

Oh noes, I has spilled mah potatoes!!

Started covering them with compost and rubbishy dirt from where the greenhouse was going:

Hey, where'd the potatoes go?

Seriously this method is one I hope will work - it would be good for clandestine gardening.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post: