Winter Squash shelf life. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shelf life? ConservativeLEO24 Food and water 8 05-26-2014 05:55 PM
shelf life life of home canned foods perduepro Food and water 57 05-28-2013 06:41 PM
First Aid Kit Shelf Life CRC Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 08-31-2012 09:08 AM
Winter Squash Isn't shootnstarz Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 12-05-2011 04:40 PM
Potatoes & Winter Squash ???? sweetdixie Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 02-18-2011 08:50 PM
Shelf Life Nately Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 01-10-2011 02:18 PM
Advice needed on "prepping" winter squash jackelope Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 09-08-2010 08:34 AM
sure gel shelf life riverrat Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 12-08-2009 01:53 PM
MRE Shelf Life wvsurvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 07-25-2009 12:06 AM
Shelf Age and Shelf Life Straight Razor Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 10-02-2008 03:00 PM

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Advertise Here

Most of the traditional harder rind squashes will keep many months if cured properly and don't have any blemishes or a stem scar. Waltham Butternut in particular is a top keeper variety and will easily keep for me for 6-7 months at a moderately humid 65F if I reset them on something soft, be sure they have airflow, don't let them touch each other much and don't stack them up. I use old rags and wooden crates or baskets. They just get sweeter and richer with time. I inspect them frequently and cook any that get any soft spots or other signs of damage.

Pumpkins usually keep well, too. Acorns and delicata aren't traditionally good keepers but I have some 6 months old this year that still look good.

It's too hot here to do a functioning root cellar. Winter squashes keep better for me than anything else.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to FoodNut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Prepared

We planted a spaghetti squash this summer and are looking forward to saving the fruits to use over the course of the winter.

This may be asking how to defy the laws of physics, but short of having a basement, etc., anyone have any good ideas on how to keep the squash 'cool'?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to survivor-alex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor-alex View Post
We planted a spaghetti squash this summer and are looking forward to saving the fruits to use over the course of the winter.

This may be asking how to defy the laws of physics, but short of having a basement, etc., anyone have any good ideas on how to keep the squash 'cool'?

Thanks!
I kept a bunch of spaghetti squash from the fall right in my pantry in a basket. They were picked in September/october. It's now May 28 and we'll be eating the last one tomorrow. So 8-9 months. I had one go bad and it leaked, this last one is in 'good' condition. Not firm and fresh but intact and the center should be fine. The rind is soft but not squishy and it smells normal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaKettle For This Useful Post: