Seed purchase February 2nd 2010 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$27.99 for the Safe Harvest Seed Bank of 20 Seed Varieties GearHog GearHog 0 03-03-2014 02:00 AM
Missing Prep Item - Garden Seed (Heirloom: Open Pollinated Seed) Doylespencer1 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 25 02-14-2014 02:50 PM
My Last Purchase of 2010 wjayg Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 01-02-2011 01:21 AM
Economic Chaos by July 2010 - December 2010 Watchman220 Financial Forum 75 12-03-2010 07:33 PM
February 2010 NonFarm Payroll Numbers FranchiseKid Financial Forum 1 03-05-2010 08:57 AM
Snowstorm February 2010 Upstate NY bug-out-betty Manmade and Natural Disasters 13 02-28-2010 05:33 PM
What will be your first gun purchase for 2010? forestdavegump Firearms General Discussion 170 02-05-2010 11:55 PM
Seed Shortage Crops Up for 2010 411man General Discussion 2 01-17-2010 07:26 PM
Tomato Seed Suppliers Coat Oragnic Seed With Pesticides Prepared2Surviv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 05-28-2009 07:39 AM

Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,486 Times in 8,159 Posts
Default Seed purchase February 2nd 2010

Advertise Here

During our lunch break, my wife (Kristy) and I made a quick run to the local feed fertilizer store, its a little place called "Pickles". Kristy and I car pool to work, so she swings by and picks me up for lunch everyday. Jasper, Texas (where I live) is a small community, you can drive from one side to the other side in 5 - 10 minutes.

We got to the feed store just as they were getting some of their fresh seed in. There were several unopened boxes of fresh seeds on a pallet. The lady said its going to take a few hours to go through everything.

Total Purchase for today:

2 types of snap beans - .50 cents worth of each type
Pickling cucumbers - .50 cents worth
Seed Potatoes - $2 worth
Zucchini - .50 cents worth

They have some Yellow Dent Field corn in stock - which is open pollinated. Kristy and I needed to go eat lunch, so we passed up on the corn for right now.

A couple of the bins were full of fresh purple hull pink eye seeds.

I'am probably going to go back to the store Saturday, the 6th to stock up on corn while they have it. If you wait too long, the corn will sale out and I will not be able to get any.

The seeds I'am buying right now, are to replace the ones that are being pulled out of stock. Plus, you want to buy early to beat the rush. Sometimes the feed store will sale out of certain types by march.

My wife and I, and 3 of her grown kids are planning a community garden. We are going to take about 1/4 acre and plant it with potatoes, corn, zucchini, squash, snap beans and maybe some water melons.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
RH-O Negative

Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,498 Posts

I have bought a lot seeds this year. All but two are heirloom seeds that will open pollinate.

I froze a lot of seeds in October and hopefully they will last a good while.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,066 Times in 497 Posts

cool beans (no pun intended)!! lol

i've been buying & trading seeds the past month myself! i've gotten a lot of goodies to try! i hope things go well for the community garden you guys are planting.

have you ever considered trying to grow mushrooms? it's supposed to be pretty easy & you can make a pretty penny off of them if you sell them... they're even selling morel spores now! i haven't researched those much, but what a cool idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
RH-O Negative

Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
cool beans (no pun intended)!! lol

i've been buying & trading seeds the past month myself! i've gotten a lot of goodies to try! i hope things go well for the community garden you guys are planting.

have you ever considered trying to grow mushrooms? it's supposed to be pretty easy & you can make a pretty penny off of them if you sell them... they're even selling morel spores now! i haven't researched those much, but what a cool idea!
Thank you. I have never tried growing mushrooms. I seen a mushroom growing kit when I lived in Georgia, but I didn't buy it.

I am the only one in my family that likes to eat mushrooms.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Target Shooter

Heirloom seeds are gonna be what saves our A%# in the long run.Easy to store and reproduce so what more can you ask for ? 2 things that have worked well for us is,1st if theres any Amish folks close get produce and save some of the seeds.Most of their seeds are heirloom ,but ask as they also have some that are not. 2 We ran up on a company that has an awsome selection of heirlooms,they are Baker Creek seed co.If you want some unusual heirlooms check them out.We are going to a mushroom growing class on the 12th so I will post after and let you know what I think.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Where I normally buy my seeds every year pickins is poor right now. I was able to get potatoes, beans and okra. The people who run the feed and seed company told me that they had placed their order but was told that they would not get everything they ordered. I only use heirloom seeds and may have to look in different locations to get everything for my garden this year.