Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show your survival bow! Toxoph Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 40 02-25-2019 09:39 PM
Anyone here have an airbow? SG1 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 17 01-09-2018 10:49 PM
Watch: How to Silence a Recurve Bow AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-09-2017 02:00 PM
New post SHTF weapon? Airbow. irishmike357 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 61 03-05-2017 01:24 AM

Old 05-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Default Recurve bow realistic for SHTF?

Advertise Here

Ammo runs out, you have snares and a recurve bow as game getters. set the snares for smaller game and have a tree stand for hunting larger game with the recurve with self made arrows, how viable is this option honestly?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,025 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymanalion View Post
Ammo runs out, you have snares and a recurve bow as game getters. set the snares for smaller game and have a tree stand for hunting larger game with the recurve with self made arrows, how viable is this option honestly?
It worked for thousands of years for prehistoric humans.

They didn't really fare that well though.

Average lifespans were about half what they are now.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,582 Times in 2,533 Posts

When SHTF comes, the game will run out before the ammo runs out.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,577 Times in 9,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
When SHTF comes, the game will run out before the ammo runs out.

That's for sure, how many will kill a large animal just to feed a few and let the rest go to waste?

Your best bet is to have some fishing goodies and live by the coast, if not grow your own
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 01:04 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,945 Times in 9,082 Posts

I have a PSE takedown recurve Coyote. Bows can work for fish and birds with proper arrows. I have made wood arrows that will work. I doubt I will run out of ammo but nearly silent can be very good at times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,142 Posts

A few years ago I made couple red oak flat bows with spider wire for strings. With modern wood working tools they are very easy to make. I used popplar seedling for arrows. The better one was around 55 pounds draw weight. I got accurate enough with it that I probably could have taken a deer at 15 yards. The only hunting I did with it was fishing though.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 01:37 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,039 Posts

I still have my recurve bow and arrows. In my earlier years I killed 17 squirrels with it in one hunting season. I still have a large quiver full of arrows.

As a matter of fact a friend of mine re-fletched 8 of my arrows last year. As was said, large game will go fast and much of the meat spoil before it is eaten.

Small animals reproduce quicker than say deer. Squirrels are good eating. They are picky eaters as opposed to say raccoons and opossums.
Where I live is a good place to harvest: ducks and geese; turkey; deer; small mammals; fresh and salt water fish.

SHTF: If you can kill a fox do it. They are killing the same small animals you are hunting. And as was said, you can make arrows by hand. No equipment is needed but very helpful if you have it.

I have kept my recurve for SHTF or bad times. I do need to get a fishing arrow or two. TWO: One is None....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Target Shooter

Still have mine too. A Bear Kodiak. Once you learn how to shoot it, you'll love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Surveyor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:05 PM

thank you all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Everymanalion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,691 Times in 2,842 Posts

Nothing wrong with a bow as long as you practice using it before you need to use it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,999 Times in 7,514 Posts

Bow hunting is a completely normal thing already. I think every state has a dedicated season just for all the bow hunters. Of course it'll work. It's not as easy as a firearm, but when you're not going to an office every day you'll have a good amount of time to practice and keep trying to hit things with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:27 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,151 Posts

One of those things that takes a bit of practice and work. But if you do, it'll work just fine.

Fred Bear of Bear Archery did pretty well with recurves. Killed a pretty big grizzly at about spitting distance with one. Of course Fred had brass ones, and he could draw a 125 lb. bow.

Your hunt game should be pretty could, as it will be hard to get close to pressured animals.

For ease of use, and the increased speed and power, I'd think about a compound if you wanted to stick with the archery route.

The bows in the last few years are insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:41 PM

what about any basics snares and traps? better to buy a bunch of reusable ones online or build own?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,172 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
The light bulb was invented in 1879 and useful electric motors to do industrial work followed soon afterwards.

So if the end of the world comes and EMP renders all electronics and electrical devices unusable, you are going back to 1879 at the earliest.

The difference of course, between the past and the new present is books and the knowledge of what is really possible will still be in people's minds. It shouldn't take too long to get electric motors working, gas engines, etc. EMP is an "Event", usually of short duration, but the Sun could have solar storms that could last days or months, but not years, etc.

The solution might be to just put everything in a grounded metal building, etc. Some things will survive, but the ability to manufacture new micro-chips may take decades to recover and 100% restoration of what we have now (hopefully better) could take 100 years.

Don't plan on going caveman, not going to happen, unless the public school system continues on its current course unabated, no EMP or Zombie Apocalypse required.

Buy a bow and arrows and do the whole William Tell thing if it makes you happy. You won't need it. Better to spend the money on more ammo, body armor and training.

Good Luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,958 Times in 2,634 Posts

I have a Ben Pearson Signature takedown bow, lots of arrows and 2 fish arrows. had it for years.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:50 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post
The light bulb was invented in 1879 and useful electric motors to do industrial work followed soon afterwards.

So if the end of the world comes and EMP renders all electronics and electrical devices unusable, you are going back to 1879 at the earliest.

The difference of course, between the past and the new present is books and the knowledge of what is really possible will still be in people's minds. It shouldn't take too long to get electric motors working, gas engines, etc. EMP is an "Event", usually of short duration, but the Sun could have solar storms that could last days or months, but not years, etc.

The solution might be to just put everything in a grounded metal building, etc. Some things will survive, but the ability to manufacture new micro-chips may take decades to recover and 100% restoration of what we have now (hopefully better) could take 100 years.

Don't plan on going caveman, not going to happen, unless the public school system continues on its current course unabated, no EMP or Zombie Apocalypse required.

Buy a bow and arrows and do the whole William Tell thing if it makes you happy. You won't need it. Better to spend the money on more ammo, body armor and training.

Good Luck
I agree to a point. There may be times when you don't want too or cannot draw attention to yourself. I have an air rifle also. But I cannot defend myself with the air rifle but I can with the bow.

"If I shoot a gun people will know where I am. I have been trying to hide from others but I need food. I can make a DAKOTA fire at night and cook but I need that rabbit".

I like to be prepped for all eventualities. I think I have a lot of it covered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,754 Times in 1,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post

Good Luck
An optimist.
The Following User Says Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,999 Times in 7,514 Posts

Quote:
what about any basics snares and traps? better to buy a bunch of reusable ones online or build own?
Legit commercially made traps are by far the best way to obtain protein short of raising your own livestock. Much more efficient and usually more effective than actively hunting. Learning how to trap is extremely useful. You need to practice and try it out though. Traps can be tricky things to handle, you need to actually study them a bit, and a lot of traps can hurt you bad if you just grab it and start figuring it out as you go. If you're going to trap your hand in a conibear, do it while you can still call someone to get you out of it.

Your home-made traps are going to fail as often as they work. A commercial trap will have a MUCH higher success rate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Hiker

Recurve bows are very light. If you can draw and hold 65 pounds you can take an elk with some hunting and shooting skills.

Quiet - yes. But it often takes hours for the animal to bleed out.

On the subject of survival food - I read about a guy who bought a ton of lentils off of Alibaba for $700 - as I recall. Maybe it was 1/2 ton. Easy to remember the wrong numbers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to softdown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Recurve bows are very light. If you can draw and hold 65 pounds you can take an elk with some hunting and shooting skills.

Quiet - yes. But it often takes hours for the animal to bleed out.

On the subject of survival food - I read about a guy who bought a ton of lentils off of Alibaba for $700 - as I recall. Maybe it was 1/2 ton. Easy to remember the wrong numbers.
If it takes hours, then you hit it wrong. An animal should bleed out in probably less than half a minute.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post: