DIY Urban Caches - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 AM

Default DIY Urban Caches

Advertise Here

I'm looking to make some upright and visible caches to place in a urban environment. I know how to make a cache, how to make it waterproof, but my main concern is how to hide it from the city. It'll just have basic items in it and nothing illegal. Important things that'll help me if I'm out of it while traveling the city. First aid, water and water keys, a snack or two, etc. I'd like to dig it in the ground a little bit and leave it up right but I could zip tie it to some pipes maybe. If I did leave it up right, what stickering should I put on it to help the city avoid from opening it often?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NavigatedChaos For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 05:40 AM
Target Shooter

Go to thrift stores and buy 1L widemouth Nalgene bottles, the kind with 7 or PC on the bottom that people toss due the the BPA scare. Try to buy the ones only with black lids as it will save you a step. Remove the lid and put the bottle upside down on a stick and spray it with matt earth brown or olive drab paint. Other water bottles can be used but some are not as watertight as the company says.

Since the bottle is 100% plastic, you might want to keep some caches completely metal free incase coin hunters are around. You DO NOT want it to be visible! You will be looked at as a nutjob for having items in a city "just in case" so keep them hidden and your mouth shut.

For keys, keep extra with family/friends; in the case of a house fire they can bug out to your place even if you are not home. Also, hide keys outside, if you are not in the habit of losing your keys often, you only risk being seen once. If you do need those keys, find a second spot to hide them for the next time. Some cities will have street signs with hollow metal poles, rare earth magnets can be used sometimes (pick them up from Lee Valley). Store your house key away from your house if you can, the old under the welcome mat is bad because obviously that key is for the door by the mat. If you live on one corner, store the key at the other corner of the street so if someone finds it they would have to try all the houses on the block to see which house the key is for. Hide the key, but don't make it look like you hide it as people will be curious, keys that just look lost are seldom returned (say if you mowed the lawn and you found a key stuck in the dirt, it just looks like a lost key and not a buried secret squirrel hidden key to CIA bunker).
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavigatedChaos View Post
I'm looking to make some upright and visible caches to place in a urban environment. I know how to make a cache, how to make it waterproof, but my main concern is how to hide it from the city. It'll just have basic items in it and nothing illegal. Important things that'll help me if I'm out of it while traveling the city. First aid, water and water keys, a snack or two, etc. I'd like to dig it in the ground a little bit and leave it up right but I could zip tie it to some pipes maybe. If I did leave it up right, what stickering should I put on it to help the city avoid from opening it often?
THIS IS almost impossible without more information such as geographic location, population numbers, weather conditions. If it is a large city don't be afraid of "REVEALING" your location. Any place over 10,000 population no one will try to find you or care.

There are some things you could do in one city that would stick out like a neon sign in another city. There are lots of local things even in cities that would provide camo.. but work ONLY in THAT city because of the city history.

You can bury something anywhere... but if you live in Minneapolis and you need to access your stash in February under 2 feet of snow and in frozen ground... that may not work the same as Miami in the same month.

More info is really needed. If you are talking Detroit, you have thousands of abandoned houses to play in.

It all depends on where you are and what you are doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Talking things like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NavigatedChaos For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Born 120 years too late.

IT DOESN'T matter WHAT you use so much as where you use it.

How about planting a palm tree on it... of course it might be out of place in Toledo.

Evergreens are nice but in the dessert someone might notice.

Get the idea?

You are asking for help but you will be hard to help without more info, otherwise it is pure conjecture and guess what will work and just a waste of time.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,169 Posts

Something such as this should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300-100005.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	293876  
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
Something such as this should work.
This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
IT DOESN'T matter WHAT you use so much as where you use it.

How about planting a palm tree on it... of course it might be out of place in Toledo.

Evergreens are nice but in the dessert someone might notice.

Get the idea?

You are asking for help but you will be hard to help without more info, otherwise it is pure conjecture and guess what will work and just a waste of time.
You seem to misunderstand what I mean by stickering. I don't care about it looking like a tree or something. I'm trying to make it look like the city placed it. So something maybe that say's "Water Line" or "electical"
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
You seem to misunderstand what I mean by stickering. I don't care about it looking like a tree or something. I'm trying to make it look like the city placed it. So something maybe that say's "Water Line" or "electical"
YOU REALLY think some guy who has been working on the same lines and pipes for years isn't going to notice and go "WTF is that doing here?"
I live in the woods, surrounded by hundreds of trees and forest and such, and if a limb of any size falls, I notice it because I realize something is out of place.
Same for just about anyone familiar with their surroundings, if someone moves a chair or adds something to the room, or a strange vehicle is parked in the "wrong" spot...they notice it.

It is like someone puts a new "water line" PVC pipe in your living room and thinks you won't notice it. No matter how it is stickered, you probably investigate it.

Trying to help but you are making it tough.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
Hunter

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm looking for.
http://shopping.na3.netsuite.com/s.n...egory.44905/.f
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
YOU REALLY think some guy who has been working on the same lines and pipes for years isn't going to notice and go "WTF is that doing here?"
I live in the woods, surrounded by hundreds of trees and forest and such, and if a limb of any size falls, I notice it because I realize something is out of place.
Same for just about anyone familiar with their surroundings, if someone moves a chair or adds something to the room, or a strange vehicle is parked in the "wrong" spot...they notice it.

It is like someone puts a new "water line" PVC pipe in your living room and thinks you won't notice it. No matter how it is stickered, you probably investigate it.

Trying to help but you are making it tough.
You are correct in a rural or semi-rural area; but in a large urban area, there are too many techs and too many boxes to have somebody likely notice it. Most of those guys are just looking for the box ID'ed on their work-order and don't notice other ones that look like they should be there. In my area, the telephone company is going all fiber, so all of those boxes with copper will be abandoned and left in place.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
You are correct in a rural or semi-rural area; but in a large urban area, there are too many techs and too many boxes to have somebody likely notice it. Most of those guys are just looking for the box ID'ed on their work-order and don't notice other ones that look like they should be there. In my area, the telephone company is going all fiber, so all of those boxes with copper will be abandoned and left in place.
THERE is a difference though in placing something in an abandoned location vs a working location and hoping to fit in.

I worked in ghetto world for a long time and a LOT of my job had to do with observation and if you are familiar with an area you notice things out of place. I guarantee if one day there was no tube in the ground in a corner lot and then the next day there was one there marked CITY PROPERTY/WATER/GAS/whatever... and there were no workers there the day before doing an installation or some other reason for it to appear, it would get attention from... well pretty much everyone. Not saying it couldn't work, just saying without more imagination and forethought the OP could be making a gift of his supplies to someone who spots his fake just because it obviously doesn't belong.

Ever see a deer walking along and it spots the blind that wasn't there the day before?
Same thing.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,598 Posts

I live in an older neighborhood where the developers "were given a pass" by the city not to build out a sewer system. So what we have are 50 homes with septic tanks and an abandoned in place series of manholes connected by deteriorating clay pipes. The City did not want to spring for a lift station.

Because of flooding, I urged the city to back-fill these manholes with cement. However they insisted on leaving them in place, even removing and replacing the manhole rings when the roads were resurfaced. So on every block there is a manhole deep enough for a small missile silo!

It is likely in any urban area that there are similar "public works" which are abandoned in place and could be utilized to store materials. You do run the risk that development will over run these installations and that some morning a bulldozer will tear it up. Look into city parks and historical preservation areas for abandoned wells or foundations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Born 120 years too late.

THE OTHER thing about a city...
IF there is any population at all...
Somebody is always watching, so if you do something unusual the odds are someone is going to see you do it. Just too many eyes to not be seen that is why whatever is done has to appear to be part of the landscape or natural order of things.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,095 Posts

I work for a township maintaining the roads. I notice almost anything new or changed within the right-a-way. I rarely do anything more than take a look at it and make a mental note of it but I notice. If it isn't put there by a utility and gets in the way of me pushing snow, water flow or mowing ditches I'll remove it, push it away or chop it up with the mower. And that is just one person covering 80 miles of roads.

I imagine the utilities workers who maintain the power lines, gas lines, fiber optics and peds will also notice anything placed near their equipment that shouldn't be there. I don't know if they would do anything about it but I bet they would inspect it.

In a city there are a thousand times as many eyes that will notice things out of place.

About the only thing I won't touch is insect survey traps.(around here we have green and orange triangles hung from trees for surveying gypsy months and emerald ash borers)

Maybe you can make a white wooden box the size of a nuc bee hive, with a sticker in a bright color with wording like "insect survey trap, do not disturb" and a phone number and the name of some organization. Screw it shut and put a false opening with a bit of lemon grass oil in the opening to get bees to be attracted to it. It would stand out but may be left alone?
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM
Born 120 years too late.

HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT

DURING MY misspent youth..
The folks had a place in northern Ontario where we spent the summers and I learned my bush skills.
including not going hungry.
SO
most of the lakes in that part of the world were glacier cut and they all had irregular bottoms where you could be in 50 feet of water but have a huge rock that came within inches of the surface.
Ontario Transport would mark known spots with plastic milk jugs colored (or should I say coloured?)black and yellow. They would have a D.O.T. marker on them and a number.
So...
I painted several jugs to mimic the official jugs, including numbers
then set them up with big minnows, hairpin reels and launch them at various points around the 14 mile long lake we resided on just as darkness was setting in. I had the lake mapped so I could keep track of which jugs were the most productive.
The jugs would be out "fishing" all night and in the early AM I would head out and collect them before the folks arose from their beds.
and
even if someone saw one of the jugs sort of bobbing, it would look like a rock marker and folks would steer well clear for fear of hitting underwater obstructions.

I did this off and on during the summer for several years and never had anyone discover one of the fake markers.
and
caught a LOT of BIG fish.