Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,152 Times in 9,852 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Are you forgetting something? With only one bulb socket the priority is light.
Oh... I donít need a light in the pump house, so I didnít think about that.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2019, 09:35 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,573 Times in 20,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
Oh... I donít need a light in the pump house, so I didnít think about that.
Also need a desk and chair in their, for the operator to sit and watch the pump and fill out reports.
Sorry, it just reminded me of something.

When I sold the first plant to China, they looked at the plans for the control room. We would normally have something small to accommodate the 2 or 3 person operator station. "Oh no! It needs to be 100 meters long, and 50 meters wide. Need about 50 desks. Filing cabinets, printers and copiers everywhere". "and floor will be super clean. everyone must wear disposable booties in control room. so we need a room for the changing and storage of footwear." (Well, if you have seen their "bathrooms", that one is understandable.)

And the Electrical switchgear room. "Where are the desks and chairs??" Uh, the gear is automatic, no operators are needed In fact, we don't allow operators in there unless there is a darn good reason. Because , you know, they could die if the gear flashes.

Oh no, need 4 desks for "operators". They had so many people, they all needed jobs doing something, even if it was to sit and watch a couple circuit breakers.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,949 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:
These heat emitters for pet lizards will work for that and theyíll last forever.

https://www.amazon.com/Aomryom-Ceram...sr=1-5-catcorr
At 10 times the cost of an incandescent bulb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,949 Times in 3,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Also need a desk and chair in their, for the operator to sit and watch the pump and fill out reports.
Sorry, it just reminded me of something.

When I sold the first plant to China, they looked at the plans for the control room. We would normally have something small to accommodate the 2 or 3 person operator station. "Oh no! It needs to be 100 meters long, and 50 meters wide. Need about 50 desks. Filing cabinets, printers and copiers everywhere". "and floor will be super clean. everyone must wear disposable booties in control room. so we need a room for the changing and storage of footwear." (Well, if you have seen their "bathrooms", that one is understandable.)

And the Electrical switchgear room. "Where are the desks and chairs??" Uh, the gear is automatic, no operators are needed In fact, we don't allow operators in there unless there is a darn good reason. Because , you know, they could die if the gear flashes.

Oh no, need 4 desks for "operators". They had so many people, they all needed jobs doing something, even if it was to sit and watch a couple circuit breakers.
There was an article I read many years ago about an American efficincy expert visiting a Chinese factory. In one part the floor was covered in a mass of manually operated drill presses with a worker at each one. They would drill a hole and then pass the item to the next who would drill a different hole, so on and so on.

When told there were machines that only required a single operator to perform all those tasks , the Chinese factory manager asked what would all the rest of the people do for work then.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 22,152 Times in 9,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
At 10 times the cost of an incandescent bulb.
I have a couple about to go into their 12th or 13th winter in a dog house. I put em in after our big Ďol hound dog broke a heat lamp and cut her nose up pretty bad. These last longer and are a lot harder to break than a light bulb.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,598 Posts

Quote:
I havenít done the math, but I would guess that if you heat with anything more efficient than old fashion resistance heaters, youíre probably still better off lighting with the most efficient light source available. Thatís especially true if you donít plan to switch out all your light bulbs in the summer.
There is also the fossil fuel vs nuclear issue. Putting the cost per kWh aside, if you are lighting with incandescent and you have a nuclear power station, you are heating with somewhat less natural gas.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
read more, post less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
All part of the greenie weenie initiative bill passed by the communists when dinglebarry was in the WH.
Not sure but assuming that you are referring to Obama? Hate to break it to you, but it was G.W. Bush that signed this law into effect. Killed me to find it out as well, but I like to check stuff out for myself instead of assuming. Now it didn't really start going into effect until Obama took over, but it was Bush.
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,314 Times in 1,402 Posts

When the new breed of lights hit the market and didn't measure up I bought a bunch of incandescent bulbs. Now I no longer need them because the new breed is better.