You get to pick next US military sidearm! What would you pick and why? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
They pick me up, how will YOU know HaroldWayneHamlin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 43 01-23-2017 01:46 PM
If you had to pick one gun stocknup Firearms General Discussion 62 08-04-2016 05:22 PM
Help pick out my next CC Pawpaw120 Pistol and Revolver Forum 12 09-29-2014 07:00 PM
Help me pick a 10/22 Eagle Scout Dan Firearms General Discussion 16 05-13-2014 10:42 PM
Which one would you pick? spmc1977 Knives, Swords & Axes 30 08-09-2013 11:58 PM
Take Your Pick Mr2ndAmendment Military Weapons Forum 21 11-13-2012 01:18 PM
Help me pick a gun outside the box Shotgun Forum 19 09-05-2012 04:34 PM
Pick one... SirThrivalist Knives, Swords & Axes 35 04-20-2012 03:27 PM
If you had to pick two... manriki Manmade and Natural Disasters 103 01-11-2011 06:44 PM

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Advertise Here

Walther PPQ mod 1, 9mm
Quick reply to this message

Default Best handgun for the military

There are two guns that I would choose from. the first is the FNh fiveSeven with 3x20rnd magazines and AP ammo which will defeat body armor and the second pistol would be the FNh FNX 45 Tactical. It holds 15 rounds of .45ACP which offers great knock down power and comes with 3 magazines as well. I own and use both of these firearms and they both would be great for the U.S.Military.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mssportsllc For This Useful Post:
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmerkley View Post
Colt 1911 45 acp or 400 core bond. Next 45 acp torus when your down to pistol range you need a big slug moving just fast enough to deliver the full shock. I have seen a 45 acp round actually roll a body over where a 44 magnum they didn't flinch both head shots.
You must not be all that good at physics are you haha. The laws of physics dictates that, (while it may be a good story) It is completely false!!! Atleast the bullet was not a huge factor in the actual turning of the body. A 45acp has a little more energy then your average sized school text book falling from a 2-3 foot height.

I believe the G20SF would make a great next service pistol. 15+1 of 10mm of good ammo should do the job fairly well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSshane69 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,348 Times in 11,462 Posts

Colt, 1911 A1, 45 CAL ACP. It worked before, its still a proven platform now. dont fix it if it aint broke.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Oaks View Post
I am not convinced the Firearms Blog got it right I think they are spinning.

It was not meant to be an eval piece for the MHS the Army is speaking of. Rather the M9A3 was meant to be an evolution of the M9 series and if approved would be an issue gun on the existing contract as a NO COST modification.

As a former Army PM (Program Manager) I chose to be my own Contracting Officer rather than hand it off to contracting. The only reason was technical. I was buying HW/SW, support and development services. My view was if I was going to spend all my time over at Contracting talking to a contracting officer who was not tech savvy, then why not speed up the process and just run it myself.

That said what Beretta says makes total sense. Lets say I contract for a piece of hardware using x86 chip set and included in the specs is a CD read drive. Its an IDIQ contract with a life of 5 years. I get a call from Dell Computer telling me they will replace the x86 chip set with an x86++ and put in a CD drive that reads and writes. Its a not cost upgrade. Well I have to mod the contract to this, the Army lawyers have to approve and I have to staff this thing from here to the moon and back. This is COMMON in IT and other tech contracts or on any long contract that stretches over several years. If Colt comes out with a BCG that is made out of UnObtainium and solves every known issue and its a no cost, they will need to mod the contract...

I think you see the SOCOM community as a group of war fighters wining wars as they travel our lands. If only that were so. That simply is not there mission! I like to think of them as Surgeons, extremely well trained and skilled at what they do. They are the best there is and the $$$$ it took to get there will never lend them to being a mob wandering the battlefields looking for a fight...which is NOT to say their expertise is not of value in this case. In fact it is and they should be a part of any investigation into the success and application of gear used in the machines of war.

Where you want to look is at those whose mission is: "to close with and engage the enemy". In simple terms it means to hunt them down and kill them, the mission of the Infantry. Those are the guys who wander (patrol) the killing fields looking for a fight in the bloody arena...ask them because they are where the rubber meets the road.
I suspect your post was way too cerebral for such forums.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSshane69 View Post
You must not be all that good at physics are you haha. The laws of physics dictates that, (while it may be a good story) It is completely false!!! Atleast the bullet was not a huge factor in the actual turning of the body. A 45acp has a little more energy then your average sized school text book falling from a 2-3 foot height.
Yeah well, according to you! Shows what you know. The M1911A1 .45Acp can shoot down a Japanese Zero! And shoot through the engine block of a German Tiger Tank! And a shot to the chest picks bad guys up 2 feet off the ground and hurls them backward 5 feet and slams them into the wall so hard it makes their eyeballs pop out of the sockets!

My daddy's brother-in-law's sister's ex-husband seen all of that happen back in Vietnam -twice- when he was a Special Forces Navy Ranger and he oughta know because he had over a hunerd hand-to-hand confirmed kills of Viet Kong gorilla fighters! He was so deadly that even though he graduated top of his class at West Point and became a Hooyie Attack Helicopter pilot, President Kennedy personally ordered him to go back to the Special Forces right after the Tet Offense because the Viet Kong feared him so much that if they found out he was in a base, the whole battalion would surrender or even commit hari-kiri. He's the guy the Rambo movie was about but he didn't want his name mentioned in the credits as the tecnical adviser because he was sworn to secrecy not to talk about his missions.

Did I mention he carried a .45? He actually carried three so that he could always have two one in each hand actively shooting while he reloaded the third so that he was not ever unarmed.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM

COlt 1911. Cant go wrong with it. Troops have carried it into battle many times. Springfield xd 45acp is another good one.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Glock 17/19 with Trijicon HDs or XS Big Dots and a Surefire X400V IRc weaponlight, or a S&W M&P VTAC Warrior with the Surefire. 9mm all the way.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,129 Times in 934 Posts

Seems that some of the selection criteria should include the type of armor, if any, that the average foe will be wearing over the next 25 years. Most of the comments I've read seem like they are looking backwards (well, it worked in WWII) versus forward.
I suspect that low cost, low weight body armor will be available to all but the most backward opponents in the next decade or so. If that is correct, and as much as I am a 9x19 fan, the 'NATO' cartridge wouldn't be my round of choice. It may be that the appropriate round hasn't been invented yet. But if left to what's out there today, perhaps the 5.7 is the right choice, or maybe the .357 Sig. If not one of those two (the military 'experts' will likely see them as too weird) then the choice becomes one of simple statistics. That is, expect the average GI to have a low hit rate and so 9x19 with more rounds in the mag becomes the right choice (obviously the 5.7 would be even better)? Or are our military men and women suddenly going to be pistol marksmen and so the .45 ACP with fewer rounds becomes the right choice?
Either way and even though I'm a 'Buy American' fanboy, except for the 5.7 I'd just go with a mid-size Glock. Add a frame safety if the contract requires it.
B
Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 PM

I've really learned a lot by reading the criterion one should apply when choosing the next sidearm for the U.S. Military. As many posters have shown, the next weapon should not be restricted to a weapon not currently in use or not even invented yet but in fact can be a weapon that was once used. With that in mind, I nominate:

A spear.

Troops have carried it into battle many, many, many, many, many, many, many times.
Millions of enemies have been killed by spears.
It's a proven platform.
You can't go wrong with it.

Everyone instantly understands how to use a spear. It can be used as a single shot or as a repeater with unlimited shots and it doesn't need reloading. It can be used with a one-handed hold or a two-handed hold. It doesn't need a suppressor: it's already sub-sonic. The average weight is about 5 lbs...one of the heaviest projectile weights out there so it has impressive ballistics/projection of force on the target.

In fact, MILLIONS OF SOLDIERS in THOUSANDS OF ARMIES over THOUSANDS OF YEARS have carried spears.....so why fix what isn't broke?

It's old, very old; in fact, it's probably the second oldest weapon after the club very tried, very true. No spear ever ran out of ammo, had a stovepipe or a failure to feed and they don't "accidently go off while cleaning" them.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,900 Times in 19,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targe View Post
Yeah well, according to you! Shows what you know. The M1911A1 .45Acp can shoot down a Japanese Zero! And shoot through the engine block of a German Tiger Tank! And a shot to the chest picks bad guys up 2 feet off the ground and hurls them backward 5 feet and slams them into the wall so hard it makes their eyeballs pop out of the sockets!

My daddy's brother-in-law's sister's ex-husband seen all of that happen back in Vietnam -twice- when he was a Special Forces Navy Ranger and he oughta know because he had over a hunerd hand-to-hand confirmed kills of Viet Kong gorilla fighters! He was so deadly that even though he graduated top of his class at West Point and became a Hooyie Attack Helicopter pilot, President Kennedy personally ordered him to go back to the Special Forces right after the Tet Offense because the Viet Kong feared him so much that if they found out he was in a base, the whole battalion would surrender or even commit hari-kiri. He's the guy the Rambo movie was about but he didn't want his name mentioned in the credits as the tecnical adviser because he was sworn to secrecy not to talk about his missions.

Did I mention he carried a .45? He actually carried three so that he could always have two one in each hand actively shooting while he reloaded the third so that he was not ever unarmed.
Actually:
http://www.guns.com/2011/09/07/how-a...-zero-fighter/
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Yep, that's what I said: it can shoot down Japanese Zeros! It probably shot down a lot more than just that one. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it shot down Russian MiG fighters, too!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM

I like the Star Trek Phaser.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,005 Times in 699 Posts

The 5.7 is interesting. When did it come out? Why hasn't it taken off? Armor piercing. Is it just a short 5.5 or 223? Seems like it would be very accurate at a longer range with the higher speed than a bigger heavy bullet.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,292 Times in 26,242 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
Glock 17 and/or 19. And provide competent, repetitive training so that idiots don't fondle the trigger.
I couldn't agree more. Especially after I went to Armor School. They are GI simple and inexpensive to repair. Finger off the trigger is key. I would also add that the US needs to extend a middle finger to the world and go with hollow point ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 121,596 Times in 24,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagion View Post
You get to decide on next US military sidearm. What would you pick and why? Don't have to stay with NATO standard ammunition. Does have to be a current commercial production sidearm.
Make
Model
Caliber
Capacity
How would you spec it out?
Sig Sauer P226. The same one they developed for the M9 trials in the 80's. You know, when they chose the wrong gun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 PM

Default Let's get waaaaay outside the box on this one

The reason we know that is a tough call is because THEY havent even figured it out yet.
Im always outside the box, I know that. Depends on the mission. A couple of things outside the box that come to mind are the AR in .223, the pistol. Nice piece of equipment. If you never shot one you are missing something. The ideal is with a combo scope and laser.
Next, WAY outside the box is a Mare's Leg. Several Calibers available. You can load .45 Long Colt to outperform a .44 Mag.
Yeah, Im having fun. How about you?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Those were the days....

Thanked 11,969 Times in 3,324 Posts

Personally, I`d like to see a Browning Hi Power in .40 issued. But I think the SIG M11 would also be a good choice. And its already in the inventory.

S&W M&P in .40 or .45 would prob be a fine weapon, but theres just something about our troops getting a plastic framed pistol that doesnt seem right too me. I know...I know...
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0331 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude View Post
The 5.7 is interesting. When did it come out? Why hasn't it taken off? Armor piercing. Is it just a short 5.5 or 223? Seems like it would be very accurate at a longer range with the higher speed than a bigger heavy bullet.
Personally, I like 5.7x28 and the slightly weaker .22 TCM. Expanding ~40 gr ammo gets about 13" penetration in calibrated ballistic gel and will expand up to .35" with .22 TCM. That said, it's not a great performer by any means. The M1 carbine, not considered tremendously effective, pushes a projectile 3x the weight of most 5.7 to the same velocities for 3x the momentum and energy. The M1 carbine is a rifle so it's not exactly apples to apples, but .30 carbine is what I consider a magnum pistol round.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Forget the sidearm.

Give me a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range for the win!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TucsonPrepper For This Useful Post: