Is the SKS a viable option anymore? - Page 16 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living In Your Car: Viable Survival Option. Some Important Tips. MARC780 Urban Survival 62 08-09-2014 11:32 PM
Country Hams- Viable Prep Food Option? hanzy4200 Food and water 5 03-16-2014 09:09 AM
Is a bolt action rifle still a viable option? pops1085 Firearms General Discussion 171 10-12-2013 02:25 PM
Solar Power not a viable option? Skeptical Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 01-02-2013 09:43 PM
Taurus Judge- A viable option? YoungPrepper77 Pistol and Revolver Forum 31 10-29-2012 12:02 PM
Viable MBR option question Afterthefall Military Weapons Forum 32 12-22-2011 11:09 AM
Viable one piece suit option? cocobitzz Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 10-02-2011 08:15 PM
BOL - is this even a viable option for me? Dilnad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 03-25-2011 04:45 PM
Ethanol as a viable option? suvvee1 Vehicles & Transportation 5 04-22-2009 12:21 PM

Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Advertise Here

unfortunately being in the Democratic People's Republic of New York we're limited to the types of rifles to purchase. I always thought of the SKS with the fixed mag as a powerful enought rifle with enought features without being considered an "assault weapon" by the People's Party here. i have my bolt rifles for a more powerful long distance weapon. i'm looking to buy a strong semi-auto with relatively low cost ammo and figured an SKS would fit the bill.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jeruhme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,180 Times in 2,401 Posts

I bought a couple of Russian SKS when they first came in Country from SOG.
Paid $119.00 for each of them...

For me they are good guns and although I have lots of other rifles, I have never sold them, as they and my Aks use the same ammo....

Also, having been shot with one, I can attest to their realiablily and accuracy.

Jungle Work
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle Work For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 05:32 PM

$300?

Ask yourself this:

If Remington, Browning, or Winchester came out with a piston driven, 30cal semi-automatic rifle with a 10 round magazine, how much would it cost? $700? $1,000? $1,200? How much are those Reminton ARs in their proprietary 30cal cartridge selling for these days?

Yea, SKS was a steal in the 90's. We used to get them for $75 in the cosmoline. It was stupid of us not to have purchased a crate... But the fact of the mater is the rifle is still a dead-nuts reliable semi automatic rifle in a potent and common cartridge, for $300. If you cant think of a use for that, I don't know what to tell you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.trooper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,950 Times in 2,417 Posts

I felt really bad because I paid 200.00 for my unfired Cherry Yugo. Now, not so much. It is much more accurate than my WASR. I nailed a 450lb pig at 75 yards. Dropped like a ton of bricks. I know it is nice to have. Will be going to the grandson in a couple of years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Prepared

myself i bought 3 SKS u-fix-ems for $160 each from century arms. i love mine chinese Type 56. also bought 3 mosin nagant T53 carbines @$60 each. i fixed any problems and they shoot excellant. having carried a M16A1 or A2 for 18 years i wanted something better, that was not so paranoid about, is it clean enough right now?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Who is #1?

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill may View Post
myself i bought 3 SKS u-fix-ems for $160 each from century arms. i love mine chinese Type 56. also bought 3 mosin nagant T53 carbines @$60 each. i fixed any problems and they shoot excellant. having carried a M16A1 or A2 for 18 years i wanted something better, that was not so paranoid about, is it clean enough right now?
What is your question again please?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,801 Times in 2,292 Posts

My nephew has pimped his sks out so much, it doesn't look like an sks any more. It's a little front heavy but looks pretty bad ass.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,862 Times in 973 Posts

I feel the SKS is most definitely still a option. Name another magazine fed semi-auto centerfire you can buy for less than $500. My Norinko was altered to allow the use of detachable mags, and cost me $350. It's not my first choice, but it serves as a great training gun, backup, or hand out to a family member.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Trapper

SKS is still fine and doing what it was made for. Where I used to live a guy named Aaron Bassler used an SKS to kill 2 BLM officials encroaching onto his marijuana/poppy field. He then went on the run for months in the woods but was finally ambushed by a group of swat snipers. Not trying to glorify this raider thug but it worked well for him for a while.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...CLES/120819788

Here's a summary article of his events that unfolded from the first few shootouts to his death.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plagued707 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Hiker

With the artificial gun price-inflation still in full effect - paying $350 for an ugly, rugged, too-long, too-heavy, accurate, semi-auto rifle as a back-up/SHTF rifle - still not something that any should feel poorly about!

...NOT having a rifle if/when a SHTF event unfolds? ...now THAT would be unforgivable! I feel much safer and was able to buy many more prepps because the semi-auto "rifle issue" was settled.

I admit, I still want an AR-15 - but if you think about it - the legal semi-auto configuration of both rifles renders the rate of fire - equal.

So, of you still need a rifle, you can feel confident in buying a SKS.

All things considered - you can't screw up getting one.

Once you cover your shelter, water, storage-food goals, THEN start doing what I'm doing - save up for an AR-15...if you still want one!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Trapper

When I go out riding on my quad the SKS is what I strap to the front. It's rugged enough to take a beating and not effect it in the least. A reason I prefer taking it over say an AK, M1A or Mosin Nagant is because of the internal magazine not sticking way out and its semi-auto over to the Mosin.

If it ever did break due to say a roll over or something bazaar I wouldn't feel to bad about its loss.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM

I purchased a Colt Government Model AR-15 NIB in 1992 for around $900 and tried to feel as comfortable with it as I did my Chinese Military issue SKS that I had purchased in the 80's for $69.00 with 200 rounds of ammo on stripper clips. The little Colt was accurate, easily carried, and useful at times but after 40 years of carrying a sporterised 1917 Winchester made Enfield, the Colt felt like it should have said Mattel on the side. It was quicker to get a second shot from but I also found I needed that second shot more often on Coyotes and other varmints at long range. My SKS, on the other hand felt like I was toting a real gun, it had about the same knockdown power as the Winchester 94 .30-30 I carried in my saddle sheath when I was horseback. Kept the Colt several years and finally gave it to my stepson. He loves it, partly it seems because his buddies tell him how cool it is and how cool he looks with it. I'm happy for him but I'm in my 60's and lost my need for cool a long time ago. Wish I could say I still had that SKS but somebody came along and offered me too much of a profit so I sold it. I've bought and sold several since then. I found them all to be good handling, reliable guns that never failed me when I needed them. I now have a 54 Tula made Russian model that I have left just as it was from the factory. I just don't need any additional bells and whistles on my SHTF gun and who knows someday I may even find a use for that blade bayonet- I like it much better than the knitting needle on my Chinese model.
Some people are AK guys, some are AR people, that's fine, the difference in opinions is what life is all about. I prefer a rifle that feels like a rifle, hits where I point it, and doesn't make me crazy every time it gets a dent or ding or knocked in the dirt or water. If that's the type of gun you like then get you an SKS at a price you feel comfortable with and enjoy, even if nobody ever tells you how cool it is. Time will come when a bunch of folks will wish they'd gone that route.
The Following User Says Thank You to okiemax51 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Resurrecting this thread because it's a good one. Lots of valid different points to view to consider.

My thinking at the moment is that the SKS is definitely a viable SHTF rifle, even at $300 (I recently paid exactly that for a Chinese SKS with the old Chinese fiberglass stock). Good for at least 100 yards and in hunting of medium-size game. On my own in a SHTF scenario, the SKS would be my rifle of choice: versatile, easy to run, durable, inexpensive ammo easy to carry and reload, decent fire rate (I've practiced quite a bit with stripper clips...you can really run them through quickly once you get the hang of it). Can't find another semi-auto that provides so much value at such a low price point...even at $300.

Is the SKS my "dream rifle"? No. Will it get the job done at a low cost. Absolutely!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fteter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Prepared

IMHO, they're a great place to get started for a without breaking the bank. Especially if one is trying to budget for other survival supplies. Even at $300, it brings enough to the table to justify its purchase. I'm an AR guy, but I still wouldn't mind having one as a backup or to arm a friend/family member.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Tire Biter

Like I said earlier in the thread, for several years, a Russian SKS was my only firearm. I felt well armed, and since it was all I had. I became very proficient with it