Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deer hunting Missouri girl, 14, mistakenly harvests an Elk BurtGummer Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 87 12-01-2017 05:31 PM
Elk Hunting Stories Black Knight Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 5 11-06-2017 09:49 PM
DIY Public Land Elk hunting Guntoteninfadel Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 5 10-10-2017 11:37 AM
Long range hunting with 308 and bullet choices. fragout Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 34 10-08-2017 08:55 PM
Elk hunting round duckhunter76 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 42 08-14-2017 01:25 AM

Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,513 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by .25 View Post
I am an avid outdoorsman and shooter. I grew up hiking, camping, and shooting every kind of gun imaginable. I have hunted varmints and predators several times and pheasants once. I have never gone big game hunting. It has never really appealed to me, for no particular reason.

A close friend wants me to go elk hunting with him this year, should I do it?

Why do those of you who hunt big game do it? How can I make it fun? What advise would you give me?

I have all the gear I need and many firearms suitable for the task, this is mostly just a philosophic debate I am having with myself.
My advice, since you seem to have problems with the idea of big game hunting, is to stay home and buy your meat at a grocery store.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Neut Anderson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 17,502 Times in 4,680 Posts

A .30-06 is a great large game round for North America although I prefer the .308 which has almost the same ballistics out to 200-300 yds. (I have both calibers).

Just check your energy at different distances, you may want a heavier grain bullet. Anyway, My rule for deer is 800-1000 ft-lbs at impact, elk should be around 1500 ft-lbs at impact I would think. I regret I never had to opportunity to hunt elk. Good luck and enjoy
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,048 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
I am an avid outdoorsman and shooter. I grew up hiking, camping, and shooting every kind of gun imaginable. I have hunted varmints and predators several times and pheasants once. I have never gone big game hunting. It has never really appealed to me, for no particular reason.

Why do those of you who hunt big game do it? How can I make it fun? What advise would you give me?

I have all the gear I need and many firearms suitable for the task, this is mostly just a philosophic debate I am having with myself.
if you want to and can, go. you need to be in good condition unless you can get a 4runner up close cause packing those things over several trips up & down mountains is a killer.

Also, do it before its too late! i had hunted deer in the past but always wanted to go for an elk. my health went to hell pretty quick due to an unforeseen serious problem that required 3 surgeries and left me greatly diminished. i never did get to go elk hunting....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 11:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,084 Times in 18,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjohn View Post
if you want to and can, go. you need to be in good condition unless you can get a 4runner up close cause packing those things over several trips up & down mountains is a killer.

Also, do it before its too late! i had hunted deer in the past but always wanted to go for an elk. my health went to hell pretty quick due to an unforeseen serious problem that required 3 surgeries and left me greatly diminished. i never did get to go elk hunting....
Friend I grew up with and his dad and I were saposto go.
(Dad had gone before)

We both joined the Corps, by the time we could.... I couldn't, they went without me.

Just the kind of thing I used to love to do. (The wilderness, not the hunting. I'd go hunting with them just to be in the woods)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:

To your questions......

1. Of course you should hunt with your friend. An honest to god close friend should be reason enough.

2. I won't speak for others, but I grew up hunting, made some life long very close friendships over 20 plus years in the Infantry while serving in more than one sustained combat deployment...... and hunt with them ( several different states) as often as possible. ( Same goes for family here, and other states.)

Note: In my state, it's legal to hunt elk year round, as well as a few species of deer and feral hogs.

In other words, hunting all year long is normal practice.

Have several other reasons for hunting, such as.......physical fitness, staying " in tune" with nature, equipment/ weapon/ ammunition evaluations, etc...etc... too name a few more here.

Note: We have not had to buy meat in well over 20 years now either, but for full disclosure, we also raise our own livestock as well as catfish.

3. How can you make it fun? See #1 above. ( This ain't about ifns you like to eat elk or not. This should be about friendship.)

4. My advice = take whatever equipment/ weapons/ ammo you feel will work, and put it to the test for yourself via first hand. It's more than worth it simply for experience imo. ( Not sure how your hunt will be, but when I head out to Alaska, Colorado, Montana. ....... the actual hunt itself lasts well over a week)
One last thing here.......whoever calls hunting " work" is either not doin it right, doesn't have a real job to compare it to, or both.......lol....jk. ...)

Edit: I just read your other post in reference to rifle and ammo. I can say for a fact that a properly placed 168gr Barnes ( factory load) TTSX launched from a 308 case and sent through an 18.5 inch barrel M14 will dump anything in this hemisphere out to and over 300 yards..........and them big critters won't know the difference if I use a 3006 / 180gr TTSX either. In other words, you have more than enough gun for any big game hunting anywhere in North America.....provided that you do your part. ( Elk aren't bullet proof, but they can sometimes take a hit and still be able to run quite well. My advice here= Be prepared to follow up immediate like, and have the skill to place follow up shots in the vitals vs an elk in a flat out run. Know your elk anatomy.
If your rifle is zeroed at 100ft above sea level, and you head off to hunt elk at 9000ft above sea level.....I would think you know what Im getting at here?

Pics:
1. The ammo mentioned above.
2. Elk dumped at 167 yards. ( 308 165gr sgk, Iron sights, M14S 18.5 inch tube via pic 4.)
3. Another elk taken inside of 50 yards. ( Ammo used in pic 1, iron sights , LRB M14SA 22in tube as seen in pic.)
4. Example of equipment / weapons I take hunting with me year around. ( Also a reason I use Leupold optics instead of Vortex....as I have had a Vortex go TU in Montana once. The XD = truck gun, and I carry a different sidearm while hunting.)
5. One of my favorite all around optics
6. Both of these brutes taken inside of 50 feet. ( Rifle used in pic 4 above.)
7. Moose ( The best meat imo) taken at 226 yards . ( Rifle used is in pic 4 above, the optic as seen in pic 5, and ammo via pic 1.)

Be safe, have fun, and good luck.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171221_133108.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	282654   Click image for larger version

Name:	elk.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	282656   Click image for larger version

Name:	gubedapy.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	282658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	282664   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_175526.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	282666  
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Edit: I just read your other post in reference to rifle and ammo. I can say for a fact that a properly placed 168gr Barnes ( factory load) TTSX launched from a 308 case and sent through an 18.5 inch barrel M14 will dump anything in this hemisphere out to and over 300 yards..........and them big critters won't know the difference if I use a 3006 / 180gr TTSX either. In other words, you have more than enough gun for any big game hunting anywhere in North America.....provided that you do your part. ( Elk aren't bullet proof, but they can sometimes take a hit and still be able to run quite well. My advice here= Be prepared to follow up immediate like, and have the skill to place follow up shots in the vitals vs an elk in a flat out run. Know your elk anatomy.
If your rifle is zeroed at 100ft above sea level, and you head off to hunt elk at 9000ft above sea level.....I would think you know what Im getting at here?
I do. I shoot on an 800 meter range once a month, I zero most of my rifles for 200 yards. The range where I shoot is around 6000 feet, my hunting location will be around 7000-10000 feet so hopefully my POI in the field won't be too far from my zero. I don't want to shoot past 200 yards as this is my first time. I have heard nothing but good things about the TTSX rounds on big game.

My second choice for my hunting rifle is a 7mm-08. The reason why I would consider it is because it is much smaller, lighter, and more compact than my 30-06 so it would be easier to pack around the woods. I think I will stick with the 30-06 though just to give myself the extra margin of error...I don't know

I had pretty much already decided I was going to go on the hunt before I made this post, I just wanted to hear some extra ideas and opinions. I very seldom turn down opportunities to get outside.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Any Time, Any Place

Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
I have tried elk and deer a few times over the years and I can't say I am a big fan of the flavor. I am looking at the opportunity as a good excuse to go camping for a few days and also to expand my skillset. However there are lots of other ways I can get out camping for a few days.
You answered your question with the advise I would have given you. Main reason, IMO, should be to improve skills. My Dad was 11 in 1929, in a Family with 7 other kids. Grandpa Lost the Farm, they lived in a tent for a while and Hunted or there would be nothing to eat. My Dad was a Firm Believer in the Fact that a Man must know how to Hunt and Hunt Well. I hunt Elk. I like Elk Meat. I don't hunt the Rut, that's when they stink bad. I don't hunt Bulls either for the same reason. I usually take a 2-3 year old Cow. The Meat is better. Im a Meat Hunter, not a Rack Hunter. 300 Win Mag or .50 cal Muzzle Loader(Plastic sabot with a Hornady .429).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 07:23 AM

Just be sure when you are picking your elk rifle you are choosing the best tool for the job based on its effectiveness. It is generally believed it takes 1200 flbs of energy to effectively humanely bring down an elk. An elk can reach 800-900 lbs, they are not small animals and believe me after being on many elk hunts they are tough tough animals. In my opinion an 800 yard shot on an elk with most common hunting cartridges is not a 1 shot 1 kill situation. Ballistics charts are available for any cartridge and they will give you all the information you would need. Sure you may get lucky and put it between the ribs and through the heart but there simply isnít enough energy at that distance to be properly effective. Not to mention shooting 400 plus yards at a range on a bench is much different then in the field on uneven terrain with your adrenaline pumping. We find plenty of dead elk moose and even deer that are poorly shot then either lost or left behind. A sure sign in December after hunting season is a tree full of ravens. Our wildlife is a resource and if we do not use it responsibily it will not be there forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highsteelman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 03:18 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,673 Times in 4,813 Posts

If you don't want to go, could you pass along my info!?

I would love to go elk hunting. Especially if it was an archery hunt. As others have said, I would view it as a rigorous outdoor vacation with a chance to fill up your freezer. I'm saving for a few years and then going to make my way west.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 04:46 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,458 Times in 5,588 Posts

Haha yeah, you poor guys who don't get to live out in the woods like I do - I can see why you'd love it! My place is 20 acres off grid in a section surrounded by national forest. I can literally go outside and walk to where the elk hang out. They used to travel right through where I built my cabin until I showed up. My neighbor, who is a meat hunter, shoots them from his porch. He doesn't care too much about the "hunting" part of it, he just likes free elk meat.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,673 Times in 4,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Haha yeah, you poor guys who don't get to live out in the woods like I do - I can see why you'd love it! My place is 20 acres off grid in a section surrounded by national forest. I can literally go outside and walk to where the elk hang out. They used to travel right through where I built my cabin until I showed up. My neighbor, who is a meat hunter, shoots them from his porch. He doesn't care too much about the "hunting" part of it, he just likes free elk meat.

Best thing I have is about 21,000ac of WMA about 30 minutes away. Pretty small by western standards but similarly rugged. A lot of steep limestone bluffs.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 PM

Go elk hunting
Gauge the experience
Shoot whatever else is legal and the trip is a win win
Elk are somewhat overrated
The Following User Says Thank You to Hi My Name is Jefe For This Useful Post: