Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple Question: What Kind of Grass is this? AuburnPrepper Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 12-18-2016 10:05 PM
Denver Fined For Limiting Sheriff's Deputy Jobs to Citizens HomeDefense General Discussion 62 12-05-2016 10:48 AM
Soy Bean field to yard grass wedweb Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 10-20-2016 01:42 AM

Old 12-27-2016, 06:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,682 Posts

Advertise Here

My neighbor is a college. They bought the houses on both sides of mine. Then, they petitioned the city for a zoning change enabling them to pack in ten students per house. I managed to embarrass them enough in a city council meeting that they withdrew the request.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Old Noob

Thanked 9,431 Times in 3,864 Posts

If the truth be told, I don't believe any of that nonsense I posted earlier in this thread.

I was initially responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimET View Post
This is another reason I would not buy property that I don't have total control over it. I don't think anyone should be able to tell you what you can do or what you can't do with your land, especially if it is paid for.

I was trying to find where the limit was, if any, from those who talk about THEIR property rights and freedoms. I wanted to see where people started to draw lines and laws to protect themselves from other's unrestricted actions.

Good. We have established that individual rights do not trump the rights of the group.
And that some property restrictions MUST be in place and enforced if we are to live in a society.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,854 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
If the truth be told, I don't believe any of that nonsense I posted earlier in this thread.

I was trying to find where the limit was, if any, from those who talk about THEIR property rights and freedoms. I wanted to see where people started to draw lines and laws to protect themselves from other's unrestricted actions.
Wow. Well, you had me going. I couldn't believe somebody would be that dense. The thought that you might be doing something like that did cross my mind actually. Usually somebody with a post count like yours on a forum like this isn't that big of a jack ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
Good. We have established that individual rights do not trump the rights of the group.
And that some property restrictions MUST be in place and enforced if we are to live in a society.
I actually think that individual rights generally do trump the perceived "rights" of the group. This is brought to the forefront with things like eminent domain. The thing is that others also have those same individual rights, which is why we shouldn't be able to poison each others water, shoot at each others houses etc. I know this one is not as popular amongst the survivalist crowd, but I think hunting seasons and bag limits fall in this category as well. Each individual having the same rights actually ends up benefiting the whole of society. Some of this, like in most discussions of this nature, really just comes down to semantics.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
The extremes is exactly what we're talking about. There's nothing "authoritarian" about believing that people should not have the right to poison each others water. Algorythyms literally said that he believes he should have the right to do that. I mentioned extreme examples because he made an extreme statement. "No rules" is what he said. I have a very hard time thinking people are really dense enough to think that's a good idea so I presented some extreme examples to see if that's really what he believes. Do you agree with the "no rules, at all" policy then? You're ok with your neighbor literally doing anything he wants on his property, regardless of how it affects you or your property? You don't think there should be any laws regarding that? If that were the case there would be no legal recourse for you, no "taking care of yourself", not unless he came onto your property, and even then, in the contaminated well example, it's too late. That's not authoritarian, that's respecting the equal rights of others.
Except your first jumps was right to Anarchy as an opposition argument, this kind of shows your agenda. Good try, but if you stay away from the rhetoric and talking points we might be able to have a discussion.

Try again? Probably not, as you'll just go the "IT'LL BE ANARCHY!!!!" route again.