Survivalist Forum banner

LDS Cannery

4K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Sharkbait 
#1 ·
Have any of you purchased survival rations from the LDS Cannery? If so, what did you purchase, and what was your experience?

#5 ·
They have great prices and good quality. I built up a year's basics of their food. The powdered milk, like most powdered milk is not good, but I have it. I use it in cooking, so the nasty taste is lost. I do prefer boxed UHT milk for $1 for a quart from Dollar Tree, but it doesn't have near the shelf life.

Read through the many threads in this forum. You could busy for years. Or you could do a search to find the topics you are interested in.

#6 ·
I had bought several items from the cannery, when I was married to a LDS member. She wasn't in to it but went along the one time we went to a canning night for our(her) ward. The food is good, just need to remember you have to re-hydrate it before cooking with it, meaning the soup or stew or chili needs to simmer on the stove long enought to soften up the dehydrated bits.
The price is right, the quality is good. I am not a member of the LDS church but it is a good resource.

Reactions: georgeg
#11 ·
We have. As others mention good folks and good values.

Do your own due diligence research wise, as always, better pricing / value may be available elsewhere. ie buying in bulk yourself and storing in buckets bagged in mylar w/oxygen absorbers.

However, overall, they are an excellent place to get started! Buy a case or 2 different cases once a month. In a short while you will be off to a decent start, with a great base. Then you can figure out the best ways to fill the holes in your plan on your own.

Others have posted links to online, so see if there is a Bishops Storehouse nearby, and what there public open day(s) time(s) are. Our local is open one day a week to the public, currently.

Reminds me to get some powdered milk from them.

Reactions: Sharkbait
#12 ·
Sorry to resurrect a dying (dead) thread, but I was looking into the LDS Home Storage center near my area. As a first-time non-member, do I need to be wary? Did anyone who went feel like they were overly nice, trying to bring you into their fold? I have family members who warn me against them, telling me to be on my guard if I interact or have business with LDS members. I would like to take advantage of these food storage deals, but I don't want missionaries paying a visit to my house.
Is any of this true?

CS

edit: I mean no disrespect, please peg my question simply to ignorance.

#13 ·
You shouldn't have any problems the people will be nice whether you are a member or not. It's the same in our FamilySearch centers we help anyone who want's help with their genealogy but don't proselytize their. We are told not to bring up religion their unless asked by a patron why we do genealogy. You may meet some who don't know the rules but that is not likely. In any case you can just say no thank-you even if it's our missionaries at your door and they will move on. We would only refer you to the missionaries if you asked us to, their time is better spent teaching those who want to hear the message. We do send missionaries out door to door who are called to teach they knock a huge number of doors before they find someone to teach most that join are self referrals who wanted to know more before they met the missionaries.

If you want to know about any religion you should ask that church about it as almost all churches have a lot of false things said about then by those from other churches.

#14 ·
The Mormon advice to be prepared is not exactly religious to them. They advise everyone everywhere to be prepared for disaster.

Buying from them doesn't get you on some kind of visit list.

LDS frequently offers community seminars for weather disaster preparedness. Once they stay state their name and affiliation the rest of the seminar could be mistaken for a FEMA or Civil Defense seminar.

#16 ·
As a first-time non-member, do I need to be wary? Did anyone who went feel like they were overly nice, trying to bring you into their fold?
Nope. Nothing to worry about.

The canneries are just a specific kind of store. They don't hand out books of Mormon with your number 10 cans or anything or make you sign up for house visits. You just pick up your stuff and pay your money. If they are friendly its because your buying stuff from them and its good customer service and they are happy to see someone else stocking up.

#18 ·
Not the absolute best, but very competitive. If you are already buying there then any change to a new buyer would only save pocket change.

But if you want to compare pricing then check the list of bigger reputable sellers that I made:
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=398177

Reactions: MBI and drobs
#20 ·
I've been many times, and even when we've talked about preparedness with them at the Home Storage Centers, they've never talked about it in a religious way.

Even talking about specifics, they've never mentioned a religious reason that they do so, nor have they said anything about a 2nd coming or a coming apocolypse or anything like that.

If anything, we might get them into a discussion about EMP or the current political climate, but even that's rare.

We've been nothing but welcomed and happy with their stores, and we are as far from being LDS as you can get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.