How many battle rifles are enough? - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 02-12-2020, 11:44 PM

Advertise Here

Unless you have to pick between paying for rifle or food, you donít have enough. And if you like in dry climate region, just buy as much as you can and keep in stashed away and your grandkids will thank you.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,146 Times in 3,938 Posts

I think we in the US (most of us anyway) are pretty lucky when it comes to firearms selection. When you can get several different types of rifle in a single caliber, you know you've got it good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 PM

To the original question: as many rifles as you think you will need until you are killed in a shootout.
The Following User Says Thank You to 556308dawg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,517 Times in 641 Posts

I'd invest in one solid rifle, good glass, a wear parts kit, small parts kit, cleaning kit and a ton of ammo, mags and training. Pair with a solid secondary pistol and you'll be golden. Now if it's a modular platform like an AR 10, having a few uppers setup for day, night, long range may make sense. But having multiple rifles is really only good to arm a group, but terrible to try and hump around.

If you are bugging in then a second or more rifles may make sense but I suggest sticking to one or two nato or bloc calibers. If oscar mike, then one is plenty with the aforementioned extras.

Now my own personal choice will depend on the scenario....but I will likely grab a bolt gun in .308 and a 9mm SMG as my backup gun. I have a lot of great battle and assault rifles but if my goal is to stay hidden and OM, a good remington 700 with a Leupy scope and a compact machine pistol will do all I need.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,179 Times in 2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
I'd invest in one solid rifle, good glass, a wear parts kit, small parts kit, cleaning kit and a ton of ammo, mags and training. Pair with a solid secondary pistol and you'll be golden. Now if it's a modular platform like an AR 10, having a few uppers setup for day, night, long range may make sense. But having multiple rifles is really only good to arm a group, but terrible to try and hump around.

If you are bugging in then a second or more rifles may make sense but I suggest sticking to one or two nato or bloc calibers. If oscar mike, then one is plenty with the aforementioned extras.

Now my own personal choice will depend on the scenario....but I will likely grab a bolt gun in .308 and a 9mm SMG as my backup gun. I have a lot of great battle and assault rifles but if my goal is to stay hidden and OM, a good remington 700 with a Leupy scope and a compact machine pistol will do all I need.

What 9mm SMG do you own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoat View Post

I agree with the humping around and scenario planning part...but if you are serious about planning: 1 is None and 2 is One...so if you are gonna plan to arm a small fire-team, keep that in mind...also its fun to have multiple calibers to shoot, given different circumstances, etc.

Bolt Gun against Semi-Auto...take a weekend intro carbine class or even try out a couple of 2-gun matches...you will learn real quick that semi-auto is a force multiplier that cannot be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,586 Times in 8,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How many AR-15s, AK47s, FALs... are enough?

The title of the thread is battle rifles. Lets skip the semantics and splitting hairs and group all semi-automatic medium and large rifle calibers together. If it was designed for a military role since the 1940s, how many are enough?

The issue is, how many semi-automatic rifles are enough as compared to hunting rifles?

I would like to have another 308 rifle in bolt action. Then again, I would like to have another AR-15. we come to a point when we have to ask how many are enough?

Personally, I am leaning towards at 4 - 5 AR-15s. That is a nice sized number without being overly burdensome. If someone has been prepping for 10, 15, 20+ years, it would not be out of the question to collect several AR-15 rifles.

Maybe I have answered my own question with 4 - 5 AR rifles, then move onto something else?

However, perhaps someone may want to go with the FAL, PTR-91, AK-47, AK-74... or something besides the AR? Rather than an AR and 223 / 5.56mm, maybe go with a FAL or PTR-91 that is well suited for defense and hunting medium sized game.

Enough of the ranting. Someone post their thoughts on the idea?
How many for personal use? Several.
For arming others in the neighborhood? Several more.
For trade goods. Double the previous numbers, to as many as I can store.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,394 Times in 7,651 Posts

Once again.....any rifle can become a battle rifle. History has confirmed this time and time again since the invention of firearms. All that has happened since then is they have gotten more sophisticated. But the same basic principles that applied in 1820 apply today in 2020.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 12:26 AM

Depends on your environment and if you're stationary or traveling etc... traveling you're carry one gun and a sidearm. I went a little nutz accumulating guns in the past decade and have since scaled back and TRIED to consolidate... kept collectables to a minimum and made profits on some of my collector revolvers and ak's for example.

I say for a minimum everyone should have a good ar in 556, an ar10 in 308, and a 9mm semi pistol. I like shotguns for 50 yards and in... a good semi will be a force multiplier. Longer range cartridges like 6.5cm add range and ease of dope etc. I have my 10mm long slide "zombie guns" too but can't imagine lugging that thing too far as its a sidearm.

Keep wear items like springs and bolts etc on hand. If any type of long term conflict arises and you're wearing out guns... then a blackmarket trading system will arise. toilet paper may get you laid.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,909 Times in 851 Posts

More than one. Rifles are mechanical devices that can fail.