I'm looking for my first "does everything well", all-purpose knife, what to get? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 53,367 Times in 18,529 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
What is the model of the one in the middle?
That's the Bravo 1. Bark River used to sell direct but now you have to get it through dealers. Here they are on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bark+rive...l_17qz0mvoi7_b
Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,061 Times in 1,766 Posts

Good article on the Morakniv Champion and the new Morakniv Garberg full tang.
Author states that a full tang in a Mora isn't that big of a deal, he recommends the Champion at $15 as opposed to the $100 Garberg.

https://www.outsideonline.com/206607...ssic-companion
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,501 Times in 4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post
Good article on the Morakniv Champion and the new Morakniv Garberg full tang.
Author states that a full tang in a Mora isn't that big of a deal, he recommends the Champion at $15 as opposed to the $100 Garberg.

https://www.outsideonline.com/206607...ssic-companion
Good article. I struggle with this. A full-tang fixed blade is inherently stronger than a partial or rat-tail tang fixed blade; but is a full tang necessary? The downsides to a full tang blade right of the bat is weight: they weigh more. As someone who delves into lightweight backpacking, that's a disadvantage.

However, having used knives in a combat environment for various tasks, you often don't always have the right tool available for the job or time is a critical factor; all my combat blades had some type of full tang. I've used them to dismantle pallets, used the handle as a hammer, dug up commo-wire buried in compact/hard sand, pried open doors and windows, busted steel cargo bands, hacked through cables, etc. As much as I love my light, little Mora 510, it would have been hard pressed to survive that kind of abuse.

Now, if I'm planning to have a variety of tools, I have zero issues with a traditional, rat/partial tang Mora type knife. I think you also have to figure out your environment. If you're mostly in a rural/wooded environment, there are a plethora of skills to work around a smaller or non-full-tang bladed knife. If your environment is less predictable and likely urban/suburban, I would defer to a slightly more stout blade that is full tang. Regardless, there are techniques to use your fixed blade effectively that avoid abuse but still perform to do accomplish tougher tasks. While the unrealistic simple answer is "use the right tool for the job", it's often better to know the limitations and capabilities of what you're more likely to have on your person when a tool is needed. You just can't pack for every contingency or task, but you can practice with your tools to maximize their capabilities to cover a wider spectrum of tasks and needs...it truly does come down to the skill of the user over the limitations of the tool.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,056 Times in 19,711 Posts

I had some old farberware kitchen knives that were not full tang. They worked great until they hit a certain age, then every one snapped in half when I was cutting a block of Muenster cheese (at different times over about a year time period). The blade simply ripped out of the handle. But that was after 10 years or so.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,896 Times in 1,542 Posts

For a do everything I'd like a bit more blade, 7" or so.
UNder 4" you have the ESEE 3, also great little knife and tough as hell is the Hultafors Heavy Duty. Very tough for its size and pretty light weight. Cheap knife too.