Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade Deal Dead: Trump Cranks Up Tariffs On China SurvivalOfTheFit General Discussion 24 05-10-2019 09:19 PM
Does Trump not know how tariff's work? lucky strike Political News and Discussion 52 01-19-2019 06:57 PM
China about to blink in the face of tariffs txprep Political News and Discussion 387 12-15-2018 04:14 PM
The EU Blinks - Offers U.S. Concessions to Avoid Trade War Batko10 Political News and Discussion 107 08-12-2018 09:16 AM

Old 08-25-2019, 04:55 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,556 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
If I buy a Ganzo knife, straight from China before the Tariffs for $26 dollars.
Then Trump puts a 25 percent Tariff on that same model.
So I lost my knife and buy another one.

This same model which has a 25 percent Tariff on it now costs me $26 dollars.

Why?

Because China devalued their currency so that I would not buy a Buck knife
instead.

I hope you can understand it now.

Good luck

So when I bought that second knife about $5 dollars went towards paying the Tariff. I didn't notice it because I paid the same amount that I paid for the first knife. Yet $5 went in a fund, which paid our farmers to make up for the money they lost on the low price of Grain and Pork.
1) China has been devaluing its currency for about 15 years. Our currency only remains strong due to the QE's and us printing money. Try to keep up.

2) We don't know where that knife was in the supply chain. Was the main importer holding a glut of them or did the vendor have many that you purchased. That is why, the longer this goes on, the longer we will pay. Their currency won't devalue as fast or as high as the tariff will.

3) You aren't going to touch an American made Buck knife for close to that price. About 20% of their products are from overseas, and I'm guessing the $25-35 range knives aren't made in Idaho.

Bust we aren't talking about or worried about a $25 knife. We are worried about refrigerators, TV, and furnaces that are NOT made in America.

We also will see price increases across the board. Why? Why increase just one product you sell, when you can increase them all to be close or match? If TV A is made in the USA and sells for $200 and TV B is made in China for $200 do you think on TV b gets the increase? No, they call that fair market value and both go up. This also helps to offset the increased prices the vendor and supplier get upfront.

Should I ask if you understand now and put a cool emoji icon to drive the point home further? I doubt either will really help...
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,054 Times in 3,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
1) China has been devaluing its currency for about 15 years. Our currency only remains strong due to the QE's and us printing money. Try to keep up.

2) We don't know where that knife was in the supply chain. Was the main importer holding a glut of them or did the vendor have many that you purchased. That is why, the longer this goes on, the longer we will pay. Their currency won't devalue as fast or as high as the tariff will.

3) You aren't going to touch an American made Buck knife for close to that price. About 20% of their products are from overseas, and I'm guessing the $25-35 range knives aren't made in Idaho.

Bust we aren't talking about or worried about a $25 knife. We are worried about refrigerators, TV, and furnaces that are NOT made in America.

We also will see price increases across the board. Why? Why increase just one product you sell, when you can increase them all to be close or match? If TV A is made in the USA and sells for $200 and TV B is made in China for $200 do you think on TV b gets the increase? No, they call that fair market value and both go up. This also helps to offset the increased prices the vendor and supplier get upfront.

Should I ask if you understand now and put a cool emoji icon to drive the point home further? I doubt either will really help...
https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-B...-goods&sr=1-33

Wrong on so so many counts. American made Buck knives are
competitively priced.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,946 Times in 959 Posts

Imagine IF every container ship has to be checked by Customs. Swipe test on every single container. What's your supply chain from China look like then? What happens if a container tests positive? Does the US send the entire container ship back unloaded?

Fourth, Hong Kong. No idea what happens to those China supply chains if that whole situation goes crazy.

How would you like to be a CEO with a large China supply chain presence having to confront those types of issues?[/QUOTE]

I sell some machinery thru a broker in Ca. Lately, every Container that is coming is has been X-Rayed and Close inspection that has to add almost three thousand dollars to the said container. What they are looking for is another guess but I am thinking that it's just more money that Ca. and the Fed. is looking to add to the goods coming in.. Well maybe not Ca. LOL Unless they are making money to put into the Ca. coffers
Old 08-25-2019, 05:52 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-B...-goods&sr=1-33

Wrong on so so many counts. American made Buck knives are
competitively priced.
OMG, you are so right, we should all run out and get Buck Knives now.

Why were you buying the Chinese crap anyway?

As for so many counts. Enjoy paying for the trade war.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:22 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,054 Times in 3,316 Posts

Quote:
OMG, you are so right, we should all run out and get Buck Knives now.

Why were you buying the Chinese crap anyway?

As for so many counts. Enjoy paying for the trade war.
I also buy a few Buck knives.
It doesn't matter if I enjoy paying for the Trade war.
What matter's is we finally have a President who is
willing to fight for what's right, and fight for America
rather than kick the can down the road, and leave the
mess for the next President, as America slowly becomes
a third world country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,264 Times in 5,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAde2 View Post
Imagine IF every container ship has to be checked by Customs. Swipe test on every single container. What's your supply chain from China look like then? What happens if a container tests positive? Does the US send the entire container ship back unloaded?
DHS would absolutely like to be able to do just that and there are programs in the industry working on solutions to the problem.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:39 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I also buy a few Buck knives.
It doesn't matter if I enjoy paying for the Trade war.
What matter's is we finally have a President who is
willing to fight for what's right, and fight for America
rather than kick the can down the road, and leave the
mess for the next President, as America slowly becomes
a third world country.

We have a president who is playing his base. We have a president that has terrible economic policies that will harm AMERICA in the long run.

We are not anywhere close to being a third world nation.

These statements make your entire argument look ridiculous.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,264 Times in 5,427 Posts

Quote:
We have a president who is playing his base. We have a president that has terrible economic policies that will harm AMERICA in the long run.
Any number of past presidents could fit this description. Not just the current one.

Quote:
We are not anywhere close to being a third world nation.
The remaining Democrat candidates will ensure that if given the chance.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,098 Times in 5,146 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I see this mornin Trumps slapped another 112 billion on Chicom imports.

I think we're going to find we don't need all that Chinese crap anyway but unfortunately China will fold because we're their biggest customer and the imports will continue probably at a somewhat more level playing field with our domestic goods.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Prepared

Lots of Trump's economic ideas are "less than good" but they're no worse than those of his predecessors. He'll get the blame for this oncoming recession, of course, even though the "garden of doom" was plowed and planted long before his election.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDesertrat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Capitalism Is Boss

Thanked 1,097 Times in 359 Posts

Had to buy a swap cooler water pump on Friday and the price almost doubled since last year. I had to pay $30.00 for the middle of the road pump. I remember buying one last year and i paid about $15.00.

So yeah the tariffs are working.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 PM

There's a lot of interesting things happening - maybe. Not much movement from either side yet.

01 NOTHING is going to happen until Hong Kong settles. Can't happen. Trump can't be in negotiations and then China goes & crushes Hong Kong. If that occurred, Trump would have to really land on China. Not militarily, but certainly economic. He'd rather avoid that scenario. He'll still have to take action, but no need to make the situation even worse.

02 China wants to move their 'financial center' from Hong Kong to right next door in Shenzhen. It's all about 'control'. It's pretty clear to everybody that it's not happening - certainly no time soon. There's just no appetite in the international financial community to relocate their operations to Shenzhen.

03 The latest China tariffs on USA goods are more of the "same olde same olde". China just increased tariffs on items they have already stopped buying from the USA anyway. So it's really kind of meaningless. It's sort of like China saying "We're going to buy less than NOTHING of these particular goods from you".

04 Food. Chinese leadership looks at food / access to food as being a very useful weapon. Do not discount access to food supplies being utilized as a very effective weapon against the Hong Kong demonstrators.

05 USD. Currently, China has approx. (Estimated) anywhere from $1.15 Trillion to $0.925 Trillion USD in hard currency reserve. All the China trolls are all talking big about all China's FX holdings, especially the dollar portion of their holdings.

But here's what they leave out. China has at least $2.0 Trillion in debt denominated in USD (repayment of both principal & interest in USD). So China's FX holdings are not really a weapon at all. And if China dumped their USD holdings, then the opportunities for the yuan to become a reserve currency are totally gone.

06 Offshoring - China version. The betting currently is that in 5 years, anywhere from 40% all the way up to 90% of the business exported from USA into China will be gone to more friendly environments. Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, South Korea, South and Central America, Mexico, all sorts of places. But leaving China. And they are not going to be 'pretend' moves.

Anyway, just a few things that are happening 'under the radar'.
The Following User Says Thank You to small.business.guy.1 For This Useful Post: