Amplifying cell phone signals - have any of you tried any of these ways? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-15-2019, 05:25 AM
Hiker

Default Amplifying cell phone signals - have any of you tried any of these ways?

Advertise Here

https://www.ciena.com/insights/artic...tower-prx.html

https://thetravelinsider.info/phones/radiorepeaters.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Signal-Booste...n%3A4041781011

I have my heart set out in the boonies but I still want to continue teaching online using Skype. Is there any hope with any of these methods?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to pengyou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,152 Times in 3,252 Posts

I assume you don't have an Internet connection in that location. If you are in a dead spot for cell phone signals, your best bet might be to use a satellite connection for the Internet. It's expensive and not very reliable in bad weather.

The point is, you have to have a signal in order to boost a signal, so the methods you mentioned may work depending upon the strength of the cell phone signal where you plan to live.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 06:44 AM
VIP Member

We use WeBoost - Have NO signal in the house (live down in a valley), but step 1 was to find out IF we had signal anywhere... (iPhones have a way to switch them to a signal strength meter), found good signal 20 feet above the house (it was odd, 5' above the top of the upstairs we had 1 bar, 15' more us and we have 5 bars (and max'ed out the dB on the meter). Bought a used 3g WeBoost as a test (ebay, CHEAP !!!), with antenna 20' up, amp. upstairs, and the antenna in the middle of the house below the small upstairs, only had good signal in the house some places. Put in a splitter, moved the one antenna upstairs, and the other towards the end of the house we USE (earth sheltered), and have good signal all places except the far other end of the house (guest bedroom).
With more unhappiness with the satellite for internet, bought the 4g WeBoost and tried cell phone internet (just changed out the Amp. unit, no other changes). UNTIL we hit the 15gig cell phone limit and they slow us done (usually day 25 to 28 of the month), works FAR better than the satellite did, AND cost's less even factoring in a 3 years depreciation for the WeBoost 4g unit. I have seen single band Amps's a LOT cheaper, but even the major carriers here use 2 different bands.... but check, IF all devices use the same band, may save a lot of money.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,375 Posts

IF you can get a cell signal that you can boost - do it. Using a satellite for video is cost prohibitive. I have a business plan which Hugenet (you can buy better but you can't pay more) and I get 50GB/month for around $175. I can buy more bandwidth but I refuse to pay an EXTRA $150-300 per month to stream video. I would think cell would be similar or higher price, yet.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,827 Times in 7,103 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Signal-Booste...stboardscon-20

Could any of these cause jamming or interference with neighbors say less than 100 yards away?
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 11:21 PM

I have a "zBoost" and use a 20 foot pole with a direction antenna. I get 4 bars of signal inside the house and zero outside. I used satellite imagery to determine location of nearest cell phone tower and determined proper orientation for antenna. System cost was about $300 total.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mungo Rolfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,827 Times in 7,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Rolfe View Post
I have a "zBoost" and use a 20 foot pole with a direction antenna. I get 4 bars of signal inside the house and zero outside. I used satellite imagery to determine location of nearest cell phone tower and determined proper orientation for antenna. System cost was about $300 total.
Hats off great logic scientifically applied.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,004 Times in 19,698 Posts

I have a small repeater/amp I bought from Wilson around 8 years ago.
It is a pain to use, because of the feedback from antenna to reciever, but with a bit of repositioning, it works. (there are lights that tell you about the feedback)

In my dining room, I normally have zero phone reception. But with the repeater, I put the tiny antenna (magnet mount) stuck to the top of a can of peas, sitting on a shelf near the ceiling.

The receiver is down low, near the table. You have to keep the phone within about 5 feet of the receiver for it to work. (It was designed for use in a car). It does work.

Probably should get the one in the OP though, that looks like a much better deal since I paid a couple hundred dollars for mine.

make sure it will work with your carrier and support 4G LTE or whatever.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,003 Times in 2,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
IF you can get a cell signal that you can boost - do it. Using a satellite for video is cost prohibitive. I have a business plan which Hugenet (you can buy better but you can't pay more) and I get 50GB/month for around $175. I can buy more bandwidth but I refuse to pay an EXTRA $150-300 per month to stream video. I would think cell would be similar or higher price, yet.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
We had HughesNet for a month. Their advertised speeds are on EchoStar 19, and where we live, they could only put us on ES-17. Speed was as bad as dial up. Had to enlist the state DOJ to get out of the contract and cancellation fee.

We now have ViaSat. We have a plan for unlimited/60gb/mo for $110. When you reach your limit, they supposedly don't throttle you back like the cell providers. They only 'prioritize' your data and it supposedly only sets you back about a half second, at most.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,102 Times in 636 Posts

My suggestion-sine this is for work- skip the repeater and buy a WiFi router. Put pair of whip antennas up 10-20 feet, at least 8’ apart, and connect them to the router using as short a run of LMR-400 coax as you can. From the router go WiFi or Ethernet to your PC.

I can usually get 13-17 miles and run at T1 speeds 24/7. I’ve gotten 30+ miles in AK over water, but not T1 speeds.

Generally a 2’ tuned vertical will equal or surpass a directional (LOS)because it is cut for a specific freq.. there are apps for android phones that will identify freq- I’m not sure of names, I run once called NEMO Handy but it’s an industry one that costs $5k- there are suposidally free ones.

Total cost will be under 1k. You may find the router with the included blade antennas is good enough if mounted high enough- A digi router is about $300 I think.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,598 Times in 924 Posts

WE HAVE DISH for TV and Internet.

Our verison service, the ONLY provider that even gets any signal doesn't work inside the house. You have to go outside to get a signal...
but
Verison offers something called AT HOME or something like that. It is a goosed up base unit that draws signal. THEN I mounted a roof cell antenna and ran it into the AT HOME and it works quite well. Then I tied the AT HOME into the base phone system so we have wireless hand sets placed though out the house.

It works very well

Used to have ATT and copper lines, they refused to upgrade the system and 40 years later every time it rained we lost phone service. We live so remote no hard line phone system is anywhere around us anymore.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Prepared

My place is on the top of a Mountain in the middle of nowhere , I could get a text outside or send one may be if I was lucky .
I bought the unit from Amazon , the one at the top of the page for 89 bucks .
At first it did not work , once I figured I had to get the connections tight with a pair pliers it worked great .
The unit uses 10 watts of power
I plugged in the box , and thru the antenna out the door and I had 4 bars .
The thing works good , I can stream videos so I think you could Skype .
Out the door and I had 4 bars