Survivalist Forum banner

I lucked into a Mauser yesterday/last week.

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ajole 
#1 ·
Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new Top Guns store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens hes been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range yesterday to shoot, and after one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it." I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the cleaning rod pulled out. I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

The good news is there's no rust or pitting, and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.

See less See more
#5 ·
Everyone single one I ever bought had pitting under the wood. So I just pass them up at shows and stores now. And many sellers wont let you look or take it apart to check. I bought one that was so bad I couldn't shoot it after seeing the pits.
But thats just me, I know they are good guns and wish I had one without that kind of damage.
I also just saw that Brazil still has some in use for home guard and police.

#8 ·
Congrats on the addition to your family, it's cool to have the info about how it got here and how you got it.
r I have a Mauser 93 that I enjoy shooting out to 200 yards and nailing the steel target next to a guy with a modern rifle/scope, 7X57 Mauser is also a good round to reload within reason with lots of bullet choices. If your thinking about building a rifle based on the action, keeping it as a 7x57 with a new barrel would make a good hunting round or a .257 Roberts barrel for targets and hunting. I'd keep it as is, the Mauser has lots of character.

IIRC: they were produced until WW1 began, DWM had good quality control and built good rifles.

#9 ·
Congrats on the addition to your family, it's cool to have the info about how it got here and how you got it.
r I have a Mauser 93 that I enjoy shooting out to 200 yards and nailing the steel target next to a guy with a modern rifle/scope, 7X57 Mauser is also a good round to reload within reason with lots of bullet choices. If your thinking about building a rifle based on the action, keeping it as a 7x57 with a new barrel would make a good hunting round or a .257 Roberts barrel for targets and hunting. I'd keep it as is, the Mauser has lots of character.

IIRC: they were produced until WW1 began, DWM had good quality control and built good rifles.
That's what I'm finding out. I never thought much on the caliber, but after shooting it, I can say it's pretty smooth. Way less kick that my .308 Axis I traded off to my boy over the winter. I don't reload, but there is ammo out there. Maybe not the best ammo, unless you pay dearly for it, but there is some out there. I'll keep it 7mm for sure. Need more range time with it to determine if I'll sink money into it or not. For sure I want better sights. My eyes suck... Gonna put some hi-viz stuff on the front sight post for the next time, see if that helps.

#10 ·
I like the 7mm Mauser, got a Chilean and a Spanish.

They aren't making them, but the Lee Loader used to be made for the 7mm Mauser, that would let you reload pretty easily. But at the prices I see for used 7mm Mauser Loaders, you could buy the basic press and dies, and be ahead of things.

They are simple to reload, so don't be afraid to start a new hobby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.