1187P Remington 12 Gauge - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,154 Times in 936 Posts

Advertise Here

WOW!!!

Did I go down a rabbit hole! I searched "1187 police problems" and spent quite a bit of time reading last night. I wouldn't have one of the damn things! (unless the price is right )

I'm glad I didn't know all that 25 years ago, I wouldn't have bought mine!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,314 Times in 3,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog68 View Post
[SIZE="5"]Stolen from another forum as originally written by AIPPI when the 1187P was under discussion!

Glocktalk 2014

Thread here https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/wh...olice.1522270/ for those interested.

He did not like anybody challenging his vast knowledge, quickly resorting to snarkyness. One of the members posted a video of his personal 11-87P shooting low base field loads. JD immediately accused him of going out and finding some random one off video of a probably doctored 11-87P. Even after the owner repeated it was his personal unmodified example in the video JD still did everything but calling him a liar and stormed off in a huff.

My reply to him "JD your snarkyness aside, Remington adopted that as official company dogma long ago. Part of the reason was agencies were buying 11-87Ps then going cheap for training ammo, buying the lowest price loss leader/promo field and game load crap, such as the Winchester silver head loads we all know are problematic, they could find. When that didn't function in the guns agencies started complaining and sending the guns in for warranty work. The repair center was flooded with guns which were perfectly fine other than the poor quality ammo being used in them. It was easier and more cost effective to tell the agencies in question the guns were not designed to shoot low power shells and do not use them than it was to waste the repair centers time fixing guns that were not broken to start with. Like any other "lie" tell is often enough and it becomes "truth". " probably didn't help his mood.

His response was "My last post on this topic as there are several people here who are more qualified by their gun forum experience to answer questions on this model then the I am or the people in Ilion that build this model. There are only two ways to get this weapon to fire target loads reliably. One is to double up the barrel seal and that is not recommend. Or modify the gas orifices and that is not recommend. The barrel is the issue people. All 11-87 barrels are pressure compensated, except for 11-87 Police barrels. This is why the 11-87P will not reliably cycle light loads. Take any 11-87 and put an 11-87 Police barrel on it and it is the same issue. Take any 11-87P and put a sporting barrel on it and you can now shoot light loads. I give correct answers for those who want the correct information so this answer is for them. "

For what it is worth, and while I'm sure JD's credentials are solid, he is not the only only who had contacts at Remington LE nor attended factory armorer's classes. Everyone that attends those courses also knows that the BS is often piled high and deep in the side discussions.

No, the 11-87P is not a Benelli. It is also not the steaming POS many try to make it out to be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 03:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,593 Times in 3,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Excellent. If the price is fair (sub $400-500 for excellent examples), buy as many as you/he can afford. I surely would.

They are an improved 1100, which is known to be one of the best semi-auto shotgun designs with few faults, namely just ensuring to replace a cheap 0 rings from time to time.

Of course, like anything, inspect for general function and wear or damage. Like any police gun, they have been used but have had the service of a regular armory for routine cleaning and maintenance. They're probably in good or better condition. They are probably from an era when Remington made excellent shotguns, unlike today.

I would LOVE to score some old good condition 1187s. I organized a big group buy of corrections turn in 870 Wingmaster riot guns and I scored 5 of them for under $200 each. They were in good condition with character, and are excellent riot shotguns.

Seriously, if there's a possibility of buying one of these at a reasonable price, PM me please.

If the price is fair, which they are generally very generous, seriously buy as many as you can afford assuming they pass inspection.
I just heard from the kid that the range officer told him the price is going to be $300 each. I don't know how many he will be able to buy, but I want one and I know he wants two.

The trick is to get down there early and pick out the shotguns that were in the RMPs. I understand that they take those out of the car once a year, check them out, put a dozen round through them to make sure they are operational, clean them, and then put them back until the following year.

The ones that they use for range qualification have a zillion rounds through them. His department makes them qualify with all their weapons every quarter, so those are not the ones that you want.

Also, I understand that the 1187P only shoots heavy loads. At least the ones in my son's department.

ANYWAY, THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT! I APPRECIATE IT!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 03:19 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 33,231 Times in 8,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
I just heard from the kid that the range officer told him the price is going to be $300 each. I don't know how many he will be able to buy, but I want one and I know he wants two.

The trick is to get down there early and pick out the shotguns that were in the RMPs. I understand stand that they take those out of the car once a year, check them out, put a dozen round through them to make sure they are operational, clean them, and then put them back until the following year.

The ones that they use for range qualification have a zillion rounds through them. His department makes them qualify with all their weapons every quarter, so those are not the ones that you want.

Also, I understand that the 1187P only shoots heavy loads. At least the ones in my son's department.

ANYWAY, THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT! I APPRECIATE IT!!
If they are 85% or better condition, no rust, no pitting, no cracked wood, no abuse, etc. I'd buy as many as I could at $300 each. Might need a $1 O-ring, a $10 spring, and a good cleaning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post: