Competing offers on platforms like Craigslist and FB Marketplace? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 01-02-2020, 11:26 PM
Hunter

Default Competing offers on platforms like Craigslist and FB Marketplace?

Advertise Here

This involves money, so figured the Financial forum is the best place...

I'm selling an item (garage heater - for parts or repair) on Facebook Marketplace and I've never had this level of interest in an item. Out of all the interest and offers, I agreed to a price just under my asking price with a guy, set a time to meet at my house, then marked the item as "sale pending". That seemed to set everyone off in a fury of desperation as I'm now getting offers of my asking price and above!

How do others approach a situation like this? I feel like I'm pretty far along with Buyer A (we set a time, he has my address). I would like to think I'm an honorable person, so I'm compelled to honor our agreement, but Buyer B has offered almost double of Buyer A. We're talking $80 vs. $150 here.

The heater was given to me for free so I'm making a profit no matter what (giving some cash to the guy who gave it to me), and I will be happy to be rid of it (it was not going to work for me), but I never feel like I navigate offers/bidding wars very well and trying to do better.

I'm a pretty understanding person, and if I were the buyer, I don't think I would be too upset if a seller said, "hey just got this offer. Want to match it?" but I'm more easy going than most people. I don't want to be a push over, but also don't want to be a prick. Just hoping to get some insight!

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2020, 12:49 AM

You have agreed to sell to a buyer.

Personally I honour a deal. But you may be different
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 12:58 AM
Target Shooter

You've agreed to the $80, so honor and ethics say to stay with that deal.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldDesertrat For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,595 Times in 661 Posts

I would honor the deal BUT I wouldn’t hold the item. You should tell him you have other offers and make him pull the trigger fast. If he doesn’t I’d sell to the others.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 01:33 AM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,966 Times in 5,483 Posts

I sell a lot on offerup and ebay and have had the same thing happen numerous times. I think of it as good karma to keep the deal but let the following offers know what position they are in and what time you will move to the next seller before they move on.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 61,120 Times in 19,740 Posts

You agreed.

What's your honor worth?

If he trys to get it for.less.... He rejected your agreement and do as you like.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 11:36 AM

I would honor the agreement. I have found that sales online have a 50-50 chance of falling through so there is a chance he just won't show up. So if he changes the day or doesn't show up then go with the higher offer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to permaemt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
You agreed.

What's your honor worth?

If he trys to get it for.less.... He rejected your agreement and do as you like.
Exactly. You agreed upon a price and so did he. If he tries to nibble on the price I would tell him to take a hike and would sell it to a higher bidder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to advantagecp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,736 Times in 828 Posts

You gave an unknown your HOME ADDRESS? Load it up and meet them at the local FD or PD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 01:43 AM
SoJer

Thanked 2,953 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permaemt View Post
...honor the agreement...sales online have a 50-50 chance of falling through so there is a chance he just won't show up. ...
..Yep, and same can be said for 'Buyer B' for that matter.. Just remember the old saying: '$80. in hand is worth $150. in the bush'... If you diss Buyer A, you lose yer Honor - and - invariably 'Murphy' would invoke his law and ensure that Buyer B flakes on the $150. offer, so.. You lose twice.. Besides, maintaining one's Honor is Priceless..

..Now, if Buyer B was offering $150,000., well, uh... jk..

jd
Old 01-04-2020, 04:04 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,748 Posts

I find a lot of the buyers and sellers on Craigslist are flaky. I never give out my address unless they are actually on the way. The deal is first come, first serve.

I have had a number of people call and ask me to hold free stuff I am giving away on a curb alert. If you can't get in your car and come over now, there is no way I am hauling that junk back into my garage.

I sold a car cheaply on CL. It needed tires and was so was, undrivable. My ad clearly indicated it would need to be towed on a flatbed. I had one guy who seriously wanted me to bring the car to him.

Another guy seemed very interested in the car, commenting that he was driving his brothers , same model but older, and parts were interchangeable. Spent an hour looking at the car, which otherwise runs fine. But he was undecided. 2 hours later my wife says, hey there is a strange car up the block with the hood up. I go out and it is my undecided buyer. His brothers car, 3 years older is leaking antifreeze and clearly he is living out of it and it is a wreck. I say, why don't you just buy mine and swap the tires and wheels? No sale, he finally got towed away hours later with a flatbed. My neighbors were glad to see his wreck gone.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2020, 05:18 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,396 Times in 21,340 Posts

I guess Putting OBO (or best offer) in the ad at the end might have help avoid the problem. or some other wording that the first person to arrive with the money ready to accept delivery gets the deal.

If you agreed, you should follow through. But if they have any delay whatsoever, then you could honorably sell to someone else.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,072 Times in 430 Posts

Never do deals at your own home!

Buddy selling an outboard motor did this. Buyer came for the motor that was for sale. Inquired about another motor that was visible, if he could buy that one too. Buddy said no and sold the one motor listed. The other motor was stolen not long after that.

As for you sale and ethics. It's all up you... -K
The Following User Says Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post: