Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,404 Times in 1,906 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine1 View Post
Forget about NATO. If you want to start out on the cheap, go with a .30-30 lever action rifle.

Any three percenter with a handle like Rawhide 76 should have one anyway, gol dang it.
I'm not a lever fan but I do like 30-30. I have two bolt action 30-30s. They shoot just fine, I can shoot pointed projectiles and ammo is readily available. I reload and cast projectiles so I'm covered. It is good for 200 yards which is beyond most shots in my area. I have killed deer, bear and varmints with the rifles. A savage 24v with 30-30 over 20 ga is a fun gun. But I'm not sure it fits the OP's criteria.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,535 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
308 Winchester is the most popular big game cartridge in North America, and for several good reasons. This also leads it to be one of the most common hunting cartridges out there, and in addition to 7.62x51mm mil surp. Also very common in match loads too boot.
I will grant you that .308/7.62x51 is one of the most common hunting cartridges out there, but I don't think I can agree that it's THE most popular. If I were to guess, I'd say that the .30/06 is still probably #1 with the .270 and .30/30 close behind. Late in the last century, however, the .308 is probably creeped much closer. I would also say that it's a pretty tight group with those four, and you could probably throw in .300 Mag and 7mm Mag and have the top 6 real easy.

Don't get me wrong, I think .308 is a good round, and I'd love an AR-10, I just don't think it's the most popular.

Of course, google "most popular hunting cartridge" and you get everything from 6.5 Creedmoor to .375 H&H and everything in between.

Here's an article that doesn't play favorites, with everything from a .204 Ruger to .300 Ultra-Mag (please, don't use anything less than a .223 for deer) https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsessi...r-deer-hunting

Another article with the '06, three magnums, and the .30/30: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ng-cartridges/

Here's one that wants you to drop some serious coin on a rifle with the .28 Nosler, the 6.5-284 Norma, and .280 Ackley Improved (of which I've hardly seen any boxes of those three on the shelf of local ammo selection) https://www.petersenshunting.com/edi...tridges/272339

Needless to say, I think there are a lot of good choices out there, and in the 200 yard range, I'd go with the .30/06 or .308 and not look back. Honestly, I don't think there's a "bad" hunting round available now, if you do your research and use the proper load for the game you're after.
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 9,649 Times in 3,958 Posts

For hunting deer in my neck of the woods? 30-30.

Easy to find and effective at 100 yards, which is about as much opening I have in the oak forests of PA.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,047 Times in 3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
I will grant you that .308/7.62x51 is one of the most common hunting cartridges out there, but I don't think I can agree that it's THE most popular. If I were to guess, I'd say that the .30/06 is still probably #1 with the .270 and .30/30 close behind. Late in the last century, however, the .308 is probably creeped much closer. I would also say that it's a pretty tight group with those four, and you could probably throw in .300 Mag and 7mm Mag and have the top 6 real easy.

Don't get me wrong, I think .308 is a good round, and I'd love an AR-10, I just don't think it's the most popular.

Of course, google "most popular hunting cartridge" and you get everything from 6.5 Creedmoor to .375 H&H and everything in between.

Here's an article that doesn't play favorites, with everything from a .204 Ruger to .300 Ultra-Mag (please, don't use anything less than a .223 for deer) https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsessi...r-deer-hunting

Another article with the '06, three magnums, and the .30/30: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ng-cartridges/

Here's one that wants you to drop some serious coin on a rifle with the .28 Nosler, the 6.5-284 Norma, and .280 Ackley Improved (of which I've hardly seen any boxes of those three on the shelf of local ammo selection) https://www.petersenshunting.com/edi...tridges/272339

Needless to say, I think there are a lot of good choices out there, and in the 200 yard range, I'd go with the .30/06 or .308 and not look back. Honestly, I don't think there's a "bad" hunting round available now, if you do your research and use the proper load for the game you're after.
I do agree that the 3006 is an excellent cartridge to choose for all around hunting....as is other cartridges such as 270win and 7mm08.

With that said.......

The 3006 has been dethroned for a few years now as 308 has outsold it by a decent margin since. In addition, one has much more rifles to choose from that are chambered in 308. ( Not simply semiautomatics, but bolt actions as well as lever guns.)
Both are solid indicators as to most popular......thus more common....... and 7.62x51mm is a current production Military cartridge worldwide, so it meets the requirement set forth by the initial post here.
......And the 308 Winchester can be had in much more flavors in terms of factory loads / bullets...etc.
Everything from Win PDX, Hornady Critical defense, to 7.62x51mm plastic " training" ammo. ( IE.. ....308 = a wider selection via factory loads.)

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,219 Times in 2,428 Posts

Unless your a hand loader...the 30-06 really only gives you an advantage over the 308 by about 100 fps more speed and doing a better job of handling bullets over 180 grs when compared to the 308.

The 308/7.62x51 is a very efficient and capable game getter, very common, and pretty economical to reload if you get into that sorta thing. So much so I have about 4 or so guns in that caliber even though the 6.5 creedmore is so much more sexy of a cartridge. I have had the best luck hunting and target shooting with bullets in the 165-169 gr weights.
The Following User Says Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Unless your a hand loader...the 30-06 really only gives you an advantage over the 308 by about 100 fps more speed and doing a better job of handling bullets over 180 grs when compared to the 308.
I doubt I will ever get rid of my '06. I carried it for years and I killed my best elk with it. Plus, it's a classic with a tremendous military and hunting history. But the reality is that it offers little over the .308 in performance and the .308 can be had in a handier rifle. Given the parameters the OP laid out the .308 is the answer he is looking for and it will serve him well.

The .270 now.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1611 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,391 Posts

One advantage of a 30-06, back in the ammo drought it could always be found. 30/30 was scarce for some reason, 308 was always missing too like .22 LR.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:54 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 7,938 Times in 2,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
One advantage of a 30-06, back in the ammo drought it could always be found. 30/30 was scarce for some reason, 308 was always missing too like .22 LR.
`

Most of the typical hunting calibers like 30-06, .270, .243, 30-30 were all usually in stock here. 22LR, 223/5.56, 308/7.62, 9mm, 40, 45acp, 38spc & even 357mag were all either usually gone or available only in limited selection & amounts. 12ga & .410 defense type ammo was also usually very scarce, but the birdshot was quite plentiful.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,911 Times in 9,545 Posts

I currently hunt with several rounds, and I have used several others over the years.
There is a reason the old standby calibers like 270, 308, and 3006 remain popular.
They work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 AM

Most common round depends on where you live.
When I was in VA, I'd say 12 gauge was the answer.
When I lived in the south, it was 30-30.
Where I live now, it's a close competition between 30-06 and 270 as hunting here is done at much longer ranges than the South or East. I personally use 270 and like it. I've stockpiled lots of cheap (that's a relative term) ammo from PPU which I can shoot with confidence under 300 yards. For hunting, I have several hundred rounds of 140-grain Nosler Accubond ($29/box at local store) which I'm comfortable with out to 600 yds.

308 is more than serviceable but I wouldn't say there's a ton of surplus 308 in my neck of the woods. Another thing to consider is that 308 and 7.62X51 NATO aren't same with the biggest difference being cartridge pressure (308 has higher pressure, so no worries there) & headspace (1.630-1.634" vs 1.6355-1.6405"). A precise hunting rifle chambered in 308 may or may not be safe for shooting 7.62 and many 308 rifle manufactures will say to not to shoot 7.62 out of their rifles. With that being said, lots of people shoot 7.62 ammo in a 308 rifle with no problems, so YMMV.

Seeing as you're currently in N. CA and want to relocate inland to the Rockies you're going to need something that's capable of longer ranges which eliminates some of the calibers others have advised. Like others have stated, 308, 270, & 30-06 are all solid choices regarding capability and availability.

I've seen people both here and Colorado hunting elk with Copper bullets and they do get the job done. I'd buy enough copper rounds to get you through hunting in CA but get comfortable with & stockpile something else. If SHTF while you're still in CA, no one's going to be checking your ammo to ensure it's copper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Not PC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 01:18 PM

If sticking with NATO rounds, 308 is the obvious choice. I've taken deer and hogs with a 5.56, but your shot placement is key. Overall, I'd caution against it unless you have the experience and practice to land a gearbox shot. 270 is a good round, and 30-06 will drop just about anything you run into here in NA. If small game is an option for you, a 220 Swift is a fun little cartridge to shoot. Typically a varmint caliber, but I've taken a deer with it too. Again, not recommended, but possible.

Another very fun round that's gained significant steam lately is the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not as common as many other rounds like 308, but its ballistics are similar to a 308, but with better energy delivery in many cases. Depends on the specific bullet. Downside to it is, in my research, you tend to get fewer shots per barrel with 6.5 Creedmoor than a 308. Otherwise, it's great for precision shooting and new hunting loads are appearing all the time for it.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhran777 View Post
Another very fun round that's gained significant steam lately is the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not as common as many other rounds like 308, but its ballistics are similar to a 308, but with better energy delivery in many cases. Depends on the specific bullet. Downside to it is, in my research, you tend to get fewer shots per barrel with 6.5 Creedmoor than a 308. Otherwise, it's great for precision shooting and new hunting loads are appearing all the time for it.
6.5 Creedmoor's popularity is exploding out here. Just about every other new rifle sold out here is a Tikka T3x chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Not too many people elk hunting with it yet, but I'm starting to see a few. It does exceed the magic formula of "greater than 1000 ft/lbs at 500 yards", so it is a viable elk caliber.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,047 Times in 3,154 Posts

A few reasons why YMMV concerning g 7.62x51mm and 308 Winchester.....

1. They are not measured the same in the first place.

If you measure them the same, the difference is right at 3000 to 4000 PSI, which is not enough to matter at all whatsoever vs any modern bolt action hunter or semiautomatic " MSR ". Why? Because either is rated to handle much more than what those specifications call for in the first place.
Also note that 7.62 NATO brass is a bit thicker than commercial 308 in general. ( Weigh both and you will see the difference...for example)

2. Headspace gages are also different, and everyone here should know what thier rifle Headspace at and with thier specific gage.

3. 7.62 NATO has not been held to those out dated specs since at least the 1970s. In addition, I have evaluated every milsurp 7.62x51mk load since the 70s Indian ( Terrible ammo due to puss poor QC btw) .......and the vast majority holds to SAMI specs much more consistent as compared to commercial 308 win.

In short, 1.6320 to 1.6330 is the absolute sweet spot for the M14 and Ruger GSR via commercial 308 Winchester......which is also the same for 7.62x51mm.

Note: This includes dirty chambers and long term use if Headspace grows over time......but there are more important things to be concerned with if one is truly serious about choosing a rifle for a long term generation to generation thing to begin with.

In short here.....I would avoid using commercial 308 thru an Ishapore 2a rifle for several reasons. Long Headspace is a slight factor but not the most important with this type of rifle. The " other" would entail an M240b machine gun. Even thou every one I have measured did in fact have long Headspace, the more pressing isdur has little to do with why I would not utilize commercial 308 thru it.

As to hunting with 308 at distances out to 600 yards. ......the Barnes TTSX is more than capable. ....provided that a specific rifle shoots them well. Accubonds are also excellent bullets.
My point here is that there may not be a legitimate reason to switch from copper to lead once you move from CA to Colorado ( example) if you rifle shoots those copper bullets better than lead in the first place.)

A few examples of Rocky MTN/ Alaska hunts using various bullets launched from 308/ 7.62 cases in pics below.....
Note: All critters below were taken with an 18.5 inch barrel M14S rifle.....

Pic 1. Colorado elk taken at about 35 yards , one shot, 168gr TTSX, quartering away in a hurry as she knew we were stalking her. ( Note: My buddy took pic and leaned his LRB M14SA with 22in bbl up again that elk.) Results: She went down at impact.

Pic2. Colorado Pronghorn taken at 673 yards , 168gr TTSX, broadside impact, one shot, ( Note: Pic shows exit wound) Results: A full run all of 40 feet into a nose plant...the end. Also note that the copper bullet expanded and penetrated better than experts claim it would at that distance.

Pic3: Rocky MTN bull elk taken at 166 yards, slightly quartering away/ closer to broadside , 165gr Sierra Game King HPBT, one shot. Results: Made it roughly 10 ft and dump.

Pic4: A very large deer taken with 168gr OTM at 425 meters , broadside impact exit wound shown, pulverized boiler room, down he went inside of 40 yards or so.

Pic5:Both bear taken inside of 35 yards, one shot vs 1 and 2 for the other as it was movin, 165gr SGK HPBT all around. Results: First bear down instantly, 2nd bear went down with 1st shot, got up again, and 2nd pill planted it.

Pic6: Bull moose taken at 226 yards , 1 shot, broadside impact, 168gr TTSX, Results: Moose stood there for a few seconds, took a few steps, then located the dirt in abrupt fashion.

Pic7: Colorado mule deer inside of 10 inches. Result: Deer survived as I wasnt interested in thumpin critter with a rock that day.

Note: Whatever you decide.....the most important factor in hunting living critters = consistent shot placement thru the correct vital area of a given critter. A close number 2 = Always be prepared to follow up with additional well aimed shots if required and regardless of cartridge chosen.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gubedapy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	291734   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed goat.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	291738   Click image for larger version

Name:	elk.jpg