Survivalist Forum banner

Boar Hunt Options

844 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rtbanger 
#1 ·
My son turns 10 this November and is wanting to go hunting with me for boar. I am in Ohio, have found a hog in the eastern part of the state by West Virginia, but am wanting to go hunting in an area that has more options. I was looking around and Texas and Alabama seemed to be good options on price (non-resident license) and volume so far.

I am leaning more towards Alabama just from a distance to drive view, but was wondering if there was anyone that was familiar with those areas I could get some tips from. Also, Texas seems to just make business out of it and am not looking to go through an outfitter. Looking at next Spring - so plenty of planning time...

Open to other states out East / South as well - ultimately I am just wanting to have a successful hunt with my son.

#2 ·
They're all over Florida and south Georgia.

In Florida you can bring anything and go hunting. I like a 12 gauge with slugs but I've seen people use anything from a .357 to a AK-47.

I had the time of my life boar hunting at Cabin Bluff in Woodbine, GA a few years ago.

#3 ·
In SC you can hunt the army corp lakes (first 100yds) on the GA border. You would just have to pay for yalls license if you had a boat and liked to camp it would be very inexpensive. Hogs work hard in cold weather here an it aint cold weather like you are use to LOL. Lakes Russell and Thurmond are loaded with hog. There are also outfitters in the Low country Charleston and south West toward GA line. Most of the "Big" boar are on the move hard going from one sounder to the other hunting sows in heat. They swim the lakes all day an night to cross long coves, creeks and rivers. The even swim back an forth between our states. It's all in what you want. Let me know if I can answer any questions for ya.

#4 ·
Not looking for trophy kills, just something worth BBQ'ing. I am certainly an old school type in the woods with packing light & freezing at night - so no concerns there! What would be a good way for me to scout in advance? I have used Google Earth to find spots here in OH for deer and what not, I am new to hunting but not new enough to think that the prep time isn't important...

#5 ·
Just look on a SC or Ga map for our border. SCDNR has maps on PDF. I use google also an it is an easy tool to use. There are many camp ground on these lakes with bath houses. I'm not sure about how they are maintained in the winter. Our deer season goes out Jan 1st. Our night hunting season opens Feb 1st but you would have to be registered to hunt a registered track of land then. When that time rolls around shoot me a message. I hope to be back in the game this season on the hogs. You can fill up a truck ifin you get in the right spots and get a lil luck. I hunt the moon pattern and have found the wild hogs are just as hung up on the moon as white tailed deer are.

Good luck!

#8 ·
One last thing Jayman.

To my knowledge the only restriction on the night hunting is you must be 10 ft off the ground. There are no restrictions on firearms that I am aware of. Our(SCDNR) new rules & regulations are due in Mid August an you can read them as I will have to for any changes or updates to the hog hunts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.