Is there a secure ankle holster for pistol mags? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 02-12-2020, 01:41 PM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 8,560 Times in 1,734 Posts
Default Is there a secure ankle holster for pistol mags?

Advertise Here

I always make it a point to carry my gun (unloaded) and extra ammo when I practice karate and run and things like that, because it is not uncommon for a gunfight to be preceded by some kind of hand to hand fight, or running. If your gun falls out in a situation like that it could end up in the hands of your assailant, which means that all the time you were faithfully carrying your gun you were carrying it for your enemy to use against you. And that means that not only do you die, but you die as a fool.

I've had a few carry methods fail the test and now have holsters that do not fail. But every so often one of the extra magazines I carry in a nylon ankle holster secured with velcro falls out (even when I don't practice kicks). Mine is DeSantis, which should be a good brand. It fails very rarely, but it has, and considering Murphy's Law, even that rare a failure is not acceptable.

What seems to be the cause is that the nylon strips that hold the magazines in are not very wide and the top of the magazines are slanted; this is a bad combination.

A magazine falling out is not nearly as bad as a gun falling out, but it's bad enough I would rather avoid it.

So does anyone know of an ankle holster that holds the magazines more securely?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:47 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,495 Times in 9,774 Posts

Fix the one you have - attach a second velcro strap - you could sew it on by hand in a few minutes even if you can't sew.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Proud American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Fix the one you have - attach a second velcro strap - you could sew it on by hand in a few minutes even if you can't sew.
I thought about that and I might. A second velcro strap would be impractical given how it's made but there are things I could do. If I can find one manufactured that I don't have to alter though I would prefer that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,300 Times in 2,526 Posts

Why on earth do you carry your gun unloaded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 5,878 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
Why on earth do you carry your gun unloaded?

During his fighting practice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,369 Posts

Why on earth would someone (non-LEO) DECIDE to go hands on with an assailant?

I’ve heard some pretty stupid things before, but this one takes the cake. All of the stupid cake. One big pile of stupid cake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 12:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,825 Times in 8,471 Posts

It ain't always a matter of choice, Camelfilter. Circumstances can dictate having to go hands-on to (a.) get another person out of the altercation, (b.) clear the perpetrator away from an innocent behind him, or (c.) give yourself a better angle to shoot him from. If he bounces hard enough, you may wind up not needing to shoot him at all.

As to the strap problem, a piece of neoprene sewed to the inside surface of the strap ought to keep the mag from slipping out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 08:58 PM
Proud American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post

I’ve heard some pretty stupid things before, but this one takes the cake. All of the stupid cake. One big pile of stupid cake.
You can't possibly be that stupid. Did they fail to teach you reading comprehension in the indoctrination center you went to?

Where did you get the idea that I said I would DECIDE to "go hands on with an assailant?" Did it not occur to you that you don't always get to decide those things nitwit? Do you know anything about this subject? The defender does not get to choose the time and place of an assault; sometimes they happen suddenly at very close range, and criminals do not walk around wearing a sign saying they are criminals. Optimist gave a couple of other examples.

Your comment has to be about the dumbest thing I've seen on this site for a long time, and that even includes the ones that come from liberal cattle. I usually like to be more respectful (except when arguing with a liberal, since they are not worthy of respect), but this comment is worthy only of disrespect. You're an idiot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Survivor

Nah, DS. Idiocy is incurable. Ignorance can be fixed. Camelfilter's failings fall into the latter category, I'd figger. You gonna try the neoprene pad trick? If you do, use some of the 5mm stuff. it will hold better than the 3mm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,628 Times in 5,904 Posts

I believe that the shoulder holster is the optimum means of securing your weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Survivor

Arleigh, did you read the original post? Might want to take another look through it.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Proud American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Nah, DS. Idiocy is incurable. Ignorance can be fixed. Camelfilter's failings fall into the latter category, I'd figger. You gonna try the neoprene pad trick? If you do, use some of the 5mm stuff. it will hold better than the 3mm.
Well I would prefer to just find one that I don't have to alter. But if I can't (and I'm not having any luck so far), I'll consider widening the straps, and neoprene might be the best way to go.

I believe I still have a short strip of some fairly stiff 1 1/2" nylon strap left over from some I bought to make rifle slings, so I might look into using it. But the existing straps are 1" so laying a 1 1/2" strap over them might not do much good, so if that doesn't seem practical I'll look into something like neoprene. It should be better anyway because it's stickier than the nylon straps. I don't know where to get it though.

You might be right about the Camel guy (at least I hope you are). But being called stupid by someone immediately after he defined himself as a fool got me a little angry, and I responded to him accordingly. But I'm over it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I believe that the shoulder holster is the optimum means of securing your weapon.
As Optimist said, you might want to read the question I posed. No matter what carry method I use, an ankle carrier for magazines allows me to carry two (or four) more than I could carry without one. Even if I had a magic shoulder holster that carried a million extra magazines, an ankle holster would allow me to carry a million and two, and a time might come when I want to carry those two extras. (This is obviously hyperbole, but hopefully you get the point.)

In keeping with the subject of this thread though, one of the holsters I was referring to when I said I've had holsters fail during karate practice was a shoulder holster. It was called the Miami classic if I remember right, being the type carried by Sonny Crockett on Miami Vice. Nice holster, well made, good quality leather and good workmanship, nothing wrong with the snap button that held the gun in place, and it held two extra magazines on the opposite side; even had straps that tied it down to the belt on both sides.

This was many years ago but if I remember right it failed a couple of times when I was doing a down block, and maybe at other times too; it's been so long ago my memory is a little fuzzy. It didn't fail very often, and I was kind of a fanatic back then and I practiced karate a lot. But a few times was a few too many for me to think I could depend on it.

So I would suggest that any holster you carry should be tested, by practicing whatever hand to hand fighting methods you might have learned, and the practice should be done at maximum intensity and it should be done enough to be sure the holster will not fail. I would practice short sprints too, and various other things that might precede a gunfight.

Just because my shoulder holster failed doesn't mean yours will too. But any carry method that has not been tested might fail. And if your holster does fail, it is infinitely better for it to fail during practice than during a real encounter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,300 Times in 2,526 Posts
Default Is there a secure ankle holster for pistol mags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post

Iíve heard some pretty stupid things before, but this one takes the cake. All of the stupid cake. One big pile of stupid cake.

A lot of self defense shootings start out as a physical attack where your only recourse is hands on until youíre able to create some distance and get to your gun. Go spend some time watching Active Self Protection videos on YouTube. I donít always agree with his analysis but at least you get to visually see the attack as well as a play by play narrative. Youíll be surprised how fast and how close most encounters happens

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 04:05 PM
Survivor

Neoprene can be found at any of the dive shops, or the folks on the 'net who supply repair gear for diving equipment. My bad, I should have said that in the initial post.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:08 AM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,093 Times in 859 Posts

Could you post a pic of or link to your ankle magazine holster? I'm not getting the visual.
My cheap ankle holster has space for the firearm and a couple mags. I use this sometimes for my little P32. I have had a spare mag slip out before because there is no restraining strap on it. I just pocketed the mag at the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:48 PM
Proud American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
Could you post a pic of or link to your ankle magazine holster? I'm not getting the visual.
Thanks for asking; I should have done that from the beginning. You can see how the straps are not quite adequate, and the angled top of the magazines (technically the bottom, but the top when they are carried in the magazine) makes the inadequacy worse.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,909 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprogramming services View Post
Thanks for asking; I should have done that from the beginning. You can see how the straps are not quite adequate, and the angled top of the magazines (technically the bottom, but the top when they are carried in the magazine) makes the inadequacy worse.

Glue some Neoprene on the magazines to keep the straps from sliding off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,722 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprogramming services View Post

You could widen the top portion where " end caps "would positively retain magazines. ...and the only way they could get loose on you is if the velcro fails.
( Easy fix using a buckle)

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 12:16 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,093 Times in 859 Posts

The pic shows your problem clearly.
Quick cheap fix, cut a foam cap to go over the angled mag bottoms to "square" them off. They will just drop off or be knocked off when the magazine is needed.
Are there finger extensions available for those magazines? The pinkie extension would hook the Velcro strap on.
The Following User Says Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 5,878 Times in 1,382 Posts

You could cut a slit in the strap then stick the point of the mag into the slit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post: