Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,920 Times in 759 Posts
Default E-bikes: Tell me your tales, what's the best

Advertise Here

I've decided to get back into bicycling, but I think I need a little extra help to play around on the terrain I'd like to (and to keep up with my wife).

I've been looking at the e-bike offerings out there, and I think I want to go with a fat-tire version, but I am also a man of significant stature and larger carriage, so I would need to know about the "XL" offerings (or XXL, if that even exists in the MTB realm).

I have seen what Trek, Giant, and Specialized have to offer, and I've heard of Rambo and Quiet Kat (haven't seen those in person yet). I'm looking for info from anyone who's dinked around with these machines.

thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2019, 02:28 PM

Also check out Surly bikes. I've owned several Surlys over the last 20 years, and we currently have three in the garage, one of which is a fat-tired cargo bike. Surly only makes high-quality, high-strength (durable) Cro-Moly frames, the strength of which sounds like it would be great for a gentleman of your stature (I'm no lightweight at 230 lbs.). The reason I mention Surly is three-fold.
  1. Excellent frame strength
  2. Surly's mantra since they started the company is "Fatties Fit Fine". They build bikes that can typically fit fatter tires than much of the market.
  3. Surly now offers an e-cargo bike, which could also be an excellent tool/vehicle for an SHTF situation. EDIT: DANG, that's a gigantic photo from the Surly website. Surly Big Easy cargo bike

Here's my (non-electric) Surly Big Fat Dummy cargo bike thread. I can haul a couple hundred pounds of gear, another person, etc., but it also handles singletrack trails well.

FYI...Surly is owned by QBP, which is the distributor that pretty much every bicycle shop in the U.S. uses. Salsa bikes are also under the same ownership umbrella.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SurlyBFD_Stream.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	294894  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1x1_Speed_Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,764 Times in 718 Posts

I’m interested too. They seam fun and would make a great bugout vehicle in some cases.