Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The feral dog hunter" Medieval Man General Discussion 18 08-16-2017 01:09 PM
Feeder pigs have arrived fhhunt Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 44 05-21-2017 09:18 PM
Wild Pigs On The March AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-06-2017 06:30 PM
I think I want pigs, but have no idea about them. raccoontrapper2016 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 02-04-2017 08:36 AM
Pasture prep for pigs fullofit Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 30 10-15-2016 12:44 PM

Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,195 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW_in_DC View Post
TX’s guide doesn’t agree hogs are dangerous here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...ce/feral_hogs/

This U. of FL piece suggests hogs *can* be dangerous: http://www.research.ufl.edu/publicat.../extract6.html

However, Huntercourse says they *ARE*:
https://www.huntercourse.com/blog/20...game-to-hunt/; #2 of animals found in CONUS.

YMMV.

[/Sarcasm On] Unanimity of opinion on the internet; who’d’ve guessed.....
That first one was pretty contradictory.

I know some guys around here that have hunted them, and there is a canned hunt not too far away as well, and according to everyone, you need to be prepared for them to come at you. Particularly if wounded.

I'm no feral hog expert, but they sound riskier to hunt than bear.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
I don't like semi auto cartridges when it comes to pigs

I prefer magnums in either 357 or 44

Number one reason is the type of bullet being used......hard cast (best medicine)

Number two reason is the velocity behind the heavy bullet.....more likely to penetrate the gristle plate and less likely to skip off their head

Don't use hollow points on pigs unless the bullet weighs in at 300grs or more and has some **** behind it

If he's coming at you, aim for the snout otherwise aim for the ears either just below or just behind

For big pigs, even a 223 is inadequate......in my books anyways

My preferred rifle is the 270......gets 'em every time

The object is to get at least one good hole in them so at least when they run off, they'll die!
You can run a hard cast with almost anything. Although it's not recommended with a Glock.

Maybe somewhat limited by some of the flat nose bullets with big meplats.

I like a heavy-ish revolver myself, but on the other hand, it's hard to argue with a load of full power 10 mm, or a .460 Rowland, and the speed you can get them off, and reloaded. Of course using heavy bullets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 06:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,222 Times in 6,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
That is why kevelar vests for dogs make sense around hogs.
Hog hunters use them on their dogs but they are specifically targeting hogs our dogs will not run them at least mine will not , just like deer they can be broke has puppies before one ever takes them hunting. This hog was targeting us just for walking by
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 10,454 Times in 3,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
Hog hunters use them on their dogs but they are specifically targeting hogs our dogs will not run them at least mine will not , just like deer they can be broke has puppies before one ever takes them hunting. This hog was targeting us just for walking by
I guess I have something to look forward too. If and when wild hogs spread to the eastern shore of Maryland, and are common in the rest of the state, maybe it won't be safe for Libtards to go for a walk in the woods without a gun? That
(in my opinion) would make Maryland a better place
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 36,405 Times in 9,066 Posts

Quote:
I texted Paul Kersey the pics he might be kind enough to post them for me , we keep talking about him walking me through it one day. My Cyber Security son is in Germany at the moment , he could do it without thinking about it I am sure
Sorry I took so long......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hog2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	281530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hog1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	281532  
Old 12-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,723 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKersey View Post
Sorry I took so long......
Now that is a good hog........

Because that is a dead hog.

11B
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,766 Times in 784 Posts

That set of cutters behind that big ole neck probably left a nasty wound for a dog. The thing is the dog probably stepped in between yall an the hog. I never have been charged by a wild hog. I've had them chompn at the bit to get at me when snared an held firmly. The size of a chunk of sod one that size can root an throw to the side is a sign of pure power.

Glad yall did not get it any worse an stopped the hog! The thing we all should learn was the head shot stopped the hog....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanks PK! I had to get the come-along to hoist him up! it sucks getting old I can just use the pulley on most deer with one hand , and I am still pretty dang stout for being almost 50! S/FI!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 9,406 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
I had something happen tonight I have only heard and or read about was Coon Hunting tonight dogs treed next to old abandoned homestead with a collapsed barn , was tying dogs up Judge was acting weird , Elijah and Patches my young dogs were treeing real hard saw the Coon in the tree was getting ready to load the 22 when I saw why Judge was acting weird 25 feet away stood a ****ed off Boar popping his teeth I dropped the 22 and yelled HOG and drew my 45 out of my chest rig , my hunting buddy who is LEO drew his 9 mm , just has the Hog hit his dog Broadside , my buddy hit him 3 times and he kept Coming , I dropped him at 10 feet with 1 head shot , we gathered up my Buddies dog got him home and stitched up and a shot of LA 200. We went back and got the HOG he weighed 250 dressed. I hope that never happens again in my Lifetime.
Great work on that hairy bacon train. Great bullet placement on a moving and intimidating target.

It takes a genuine cold eyed killer to stand and shoot a charging and dangerous animal rather than run or just freeze.

Your posts read like the genuine article - your shooting under pressure proves you are.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Survivor

We found my Buddys 9mm rounds 2 in the neck area by the shoulder never penetrated the muscle he made one head shot above mine that was flattened on his skull but did not penetrate used a splitting mall to crack his head to find mine in his brain housing group the 45 ACP in 230 grn FMJ is has lethal today has it was over 100 years ago when used accurately. S/FI! Still not something I hope I ever have to EXPERIENCE or duplicate again ! S/FI!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Great work on that hairy bacon train. Great bullet placement on a moving and intimidating target.

It takes a genuine cold eyed killer to stand and shoot a charging and dangerous animal rather than run or just freeze.

Your posts read like the genuine article - your shooting under pressure proves you are.
HC we have lots of COLD HARD MEN and Women on here I believe Folks to ride the river with for sure or ZOMBIE LAND LOL. We have a few FUDDS and LIBTARDS as well but for the most part DIE HARD TRUE CONSTITUTIONAL CONSERVATIVES! Bible and Sword! S/FI!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post

Thanks Brother there ain't no need in running one will just died tired and out of breath. Always hold the line! No matter the odds stacked against you! S/FI!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 08:21 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,445 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Brother there ain't no need in running one will just died tired and out of breath. Always hold the line! No matter the odds stacked against you! S/FI!
Ain't it the truth! That was some great shooting under pressure. Good on ya!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,092 Times in 382 Posts

Dang Grizz ...
If I was in a situation like that I don't know what would be emptied first
the magazine or my bowels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoka-hey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Prepared

Lightbulb Multi-State Working Group: 2015 Summary Report

From the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, their page on feral hogs: https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/feral-hogs/
“Hunting and shooting feral pigs has been implemented for the last few decades. It can chase feral hogs away from crops or food plots temporarily, but they soon return or become a problem for a neighboring landowner. Studies show at least 66 percent of a hog population must be removed each year just to prevent it from growing. Hunting has shown to reduce hog populations by only 8 to 50 percent.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission recognizes large-scale trapping as the most efficient and economical means currently available to reduce feral hog populations.

Sport hunting of feral hogs has been more hindrance to hog removal than benefit. Illegal relocation of hogs for hunting purposes has spread the problem to new areas. The shooting of individual hogs also thwarts large-scale trapping efforts by agencies because increased disturbance makes it nearly impossible to catch the whole sounder, or family group, at once. “
Has a link to the 2015 (where’s the later editions?) Summary Report; what I found useful about the report was the summary, by state (VA included, but not MD), of what’s legal:
https://agfc-media.s3.amazonaws.com/...76HHQTGIGQXWPA

Page also has a link for “Landowner Guide for Wild Pig Management” created by MS & AL extension services:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:
From the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, their page on feral hogs: https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/feral-hogs/
“Hunting and shooting feral pigs has been implemented for the last few decades. It can chase feral hogs away from crops or food plots temporarily, but they soon return or become a problem for a neighboring landowner. Studies show at least 66 percent of a hog population must be removed each year just to prevent it from growing. Hunting has shown to reduce hog populations by only 8 to 50 percent.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission recognizes large-scale trapping as the most efficient and economical means currently available to reduce feral hog populations.

Sport hunting of feral hogs has been more hindrance to hog removal than benefit. Illegal relocation of hogs for hunting purposes has spread the problem to new areas. The shooting of individual hogs also thwarts large-scale trapping efforts by agencies because increased disturbance makes it nearly impossible to catch the whole sounder, or family group, at once. “
Has a link to the 2015 (where’s the later editions?) Summary Report; what I found useful about the report was the summary, by state (VA included, but not MD), of what’s legal:

Page also has a link for “Landowner Guide for Wild Pig Management” created by MS & AL extension services:
I call BS in NC the DUPONT family and others brought in European Boars to hunt on their estates in the late 1800 early 1900's many escaped and the population increased Dogs that are trained to hunt bear will also hunt hogs the NC,VA,TN, and WV Bear hunters hunted them after Bear season putting their dogs on Pig tracks were they crossed the road and have done a dang good job of keeping them in check , even in some cases wiping them out almost completely like during the Great Depression and for those in the know about such things a good bear/hog dog does not always make a good Coon/Cat hound and vice/versa. it is about the law of averages the more you allow people that go to the woods for any legal activity they should be allowed to shoot feral pigs on sight and leave them for the Buzzards , I treat coyotes the same way. S/FI!

My same theory applies with these high fence areas , they brought European/Russian Boars in bred them to domestic high production sows in order to have more hogs to hunt faster for their clients then do to weak fencing or storms a few escaped here and there and the rest is history! S/FI The rise of high fence hunting areas and feral hog population explosion go hand in hand! FUDD hunters! and FUDD gun owners! Along with FUDD Wildlife BIOLOGIST! Experts in the disease masquerading has the cure!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Survivor

They are even catching them in town one of my uncles told me yesterday they are seeing them and catching them in traps in Downtown WICHITA FALLS , TX!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 06:59 PM
Prepared

Wink Professionals Preferred

Quote:
“The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission recognizes large-scale trapping as the most efficient and economical means currently available to reduce feral hog populations.“
Notice the ‘We’re the professionals, amateurs need not attempt’ Attitude.

Given the frequency with which government entities take over X, only to later lapse in follow-thru, I’d rather an amateur today, than maybe a professional at some later time ….
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 06:06 AM
Wind

Thanked 1,766 Times in 784 Posts

When the USDA an state associations started poisoning the wild hog sounders the combination was completed. It looks like this will be common place from here on out when farms are attached by large sounders that hunting and trapping has failed to work the numbers down. Many folks will scream an pout about the practice but the fact is it works.

The damage to the water systems from the hogs concerns me the most. Springs I grew up drinking out of without thought are now contaminated from the wild hogs. One sip of that water would likely shave ten pound off your fightn weight in the following days. The other problem is the the rooting in pastures an crop fields. It looks like a drunk plow boy and a drunk mule went on a lil trip. Now multiply that by a sounder with varying size animals an if you have not seen it first hand get the idea of what it looks like.

Time will tell....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Prepared

Question Poison Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtrapper View Post
When the USDA an state associations started poisoning the wild hog sounders the combination was completed. It looks like this will be common place from here on out when farms are attached by large sounders that hunting and trapping has failed to work the numbers down. Many folks will scream an pout about the practice but the fact is it works. […]

Time will tell....
The questions that occur when poisoning is posited is:

POISON CONTROL:
[*] how efficient at cleanup are the poisoners?
(so they’re not inadvertently poisoning pet pigs, other animals, etc.)
[*] what is done with the carcasses?
(how are the poisoners ensuring they’ve collected all of the dead and dying?)
POISON EFFECTS
[*] what are the MSDS of the poisons used?

POISON PROFESSIONALISM
[*] how much training do the “professionals” have?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post: