Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preppers: Stockpile Lures For Perch AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-02-2017 03:00 PM
Eagle Claw Snelled Baitholder Hooks Size 10 (6 Pack) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-16-2017 11:38 AM
Luring Santa Clause With Fishing Lures AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-30-2016 05:30 PM
VMC, Rapala Develop New Single Hooks For Plug Fishing AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-28-2016 12:30 PM
Watch: Hook Line and Threader Threads Hooks Through Live or Artificial Bait AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-29-2016 07:30 PM

Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Awesome

Thanked 24,289 Times in 8,001 Posts
Default why do all lures come with treble hooks?

Advertise Here

just wondering.. every single lure i buy comes with treble hooks.. i hate treble hooks, whats the purpose of them?.. ive never failed to catch a fish because i DIDNT have a treble hook.. i have failed BECAUSE of some treble hooks as the other two can obstruct the one from getting a good set, theyre a real pain in the ass to get out especially if more than one are in the lip, or worse in the gills.. and lastly, they ALWAYS snag, ive lost more lures snagged on treble hooks than anything else

first thing i do now when i buy lures is remove them and put on conventional hooks or those with weed guards that let me use them near grass without worrying

anyone else hate treble hooks?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Staying Frosty

Cause they are 3x as likely to catch a fisherman that way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Norshore For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 28,440 Times in 6,786 Posts

They come with them because they work.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,621 Times in 7,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
ive never failed to catch a fish because i DIDNT have a treble hook..
As far as you know...

But you are right about them being a pain. They are for use in snag free waters, for certain. And you definitely want a hemostat or pliers on hand...I swear, the last walleye I got had all six points buried somewhere. And if you use a non-rubber net...it's never letting loose.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 04:59 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,747 Times in 2,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norshore View Post
Cause they are 3x as likely to catch a fisherman that way.
And grass, tree limbs, other fishing lines, the pole,...

I actually never thought about the treble hook problem before but you're right. Treble hooks suck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,866 Times in 633 Posts

I tend to use treble hooks on my jug lines, its going to be awhile before I check and the treble gives me peace of mind. When im on rod and reel I stick with mainly conventional because of just what your talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BytheRivers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,621 Times in 7,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytheRivers View Post
I tend to use treble hooks on my jug lines, its going to be awhile before I check and the treble gives me peace of mind. When im on rod and reel I stick with mainly conventional because of just what your talking about.
I've clipped more than a few trebles into double hooks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,068 Times in 1,938 Posts

Never seen a jig or worm with a treble hook,I assume your talking crankbaits mainly.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,762 Times in 3,731 Posts

illegal in the Chesapeake.

darn fish union I guess.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,340 Times in 756 Posts

So you'll feel the bass.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Never seen a jig or worm with a treble hook,I assume your talking crankbaits mainly.
i use many types of lures, since i catch a lot of pike and musky i use a lot of spoons as well which come with treble hooks.. it also means i spend a lot of time fishing near grass and weeds where i typically find them

after snagging frequent and often, some times bad enough to where i couldnt even get a 50lb test braided line to snap, i replaced them with these hooks and havent had a problem since.. this has also inspired me to set up my fishing line with a lighter strength fluorocarbon leader, something that i can break when i want it to without having to cut a line, i use 50lb braided for the diameter, not the breaking strength

when i fish bass i use texas rigged worms and since the tip of the hook gets buried in that setup theyve posed no problems

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,220 Times in 498 Posts

I would often replace them with double hooks http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/double-fish-hooks/ with the two points folding up along the body of the lure in front. I would put small weedless hooks on the back end. That way they are less likely to snag but still will hook fish. Sometimes I would put a piece of a curly tail on the end when biting was slow for a change up.

Remember changing hooks changes the weight and balance of the lure. That will change the action, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freebirde For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,270 Times in 3,731 Posts

I don't have that problem since, for the most part, I'm a live bait guy and don't use lures.

If I use a lure it's usually a Jitterbug or Crazy Crawler surface lure for bass. So, getting snagged is not a problem unless I accidentally cast into a low hanging tree near the shoreline!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,796 Posts

I gonna say....If you don't like them don't use them?
Not a big deal.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Awesome

curious as to what your primary fishing setups are?.. i use an abu garcia 5600 C4 reel with a 6'6 MH rod.. problem with the reel is monofilament line birds nests like a bitch since it retains its coiled shape so i switched to braided.. braided too thin though causes birds nest problems so ive settled on 50lb (same diameter as 12lb mono) and its flawless
Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the rice field

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
curious as to what your primary fishing setups are?.. i use an abu garcia 5600 C4 reel with a 6'6 MH rod.. problem with the reel is monofilament line birds nests like a bitch since it retains its coiled shape so i switched to braided.. braided too thin though causes birds nest problems so ive settled on 50lb (same diameter as 12lb mono) and its flawless
Stretch your line. If you just wind it on the reel and go... then yes it will turn into spaghetti.

Spinning... I use a Pflueger President 6920, a 5.5ft 3pc ugly stick pack rod, 4lb mono-filament. Mainly with 1/16 or 1/8 ounce rooster tails. Mostly fishing rivers for trout, but occasionally lakes for bass and perch.

As for the OP, I'm a big fan of treble hooks. The browns fight hard in these parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 36,390 Times in 10,134 Posts

[QUOTE=justin22885;15469769]just wondering.. every single lure i buy comes with treble hooks.. i hate treble hooks, whats the purpose of them?.. ive never failed to catch a fish because i DIDNT have a treble hook.. i have failed BECAUSE of some treble hooks as the other two can obstruct the one from getting a good set, theyre a real pain in the ass to get out especially if more than one are in the lip, or worse in the gills.. and lastly, they ALWAYS snag, ive lost more lures snagged on treble hooks than anything else

first thing i do now when i buy lures is remove them and put on conventional hooks or those with weed guards that let me use them near grass without worrying

anyone else hate treble hooks?[/QUOTE]
No, not really.

I found that correctly sized treble hooks which I keep sharp perform very well. They are particularly effective on spoons and banana shaped plugs I use for walleye and trout. These lures are most often used for top water, and clear water conditions.

Perhaps you should rethink your lure selection for weedy and obstructed water. I use spinner bait or worms and grubs with embedded hooks, which are better suited for those conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,038 Times in 6,285 Posts

Treble hooks are very effective. I have caught myself many times.

I use them with bait for big trout and catfish and as you said, they come with most lures. You can easily change to a single hook or even remove the barbs if you want.
Like the busy doctor said, suture yourself.

Here's something ALL fisherman should be familiar with... it WILL happen no matter what kind of hook you use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsgoM22ecok
The Following User Says Thank You to Fillzee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,484 Times in 3,091 Posts

spoons? jigs? ever hear of them?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillzee View Post
Treble hooks are very effective. I have caught myself many times.

I use them with bait for big trout and catfish and as you said, they come with most lures. You can easily change to a single hook or even remove the barbs if you want.
Like the busy doctor said, suture yourself.

Here's something ALL fisherman should be familiar with... it WILL happen no matter what kind of hook you use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsgoM22ecok
ive never actually gotten a hook deep enough in the finger for the barb to go under the skin, im not even sure ive hooked myself enough to even bleed from it as im fairly careful with that.. i just fish around too many weeds for them to be all that useful with my most common lure being spoons for pike and musky, ive found spoons still work just as well with single hooks, and generally i use the single hooks with weed guards as well

i have had treble hooks though hook into fish with all 3, or even 2 barbs and it can be a real pain in the ass to remove, and id rather not permanently mutilate something if im going to end up throwing it back