Academy Sports Policy - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winners Chosen - Next Drawing is August 1st for Konus Sports Optics gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 07-05-2018 12:54 PM
Winners Chosen - Next Drawing is January 3rd for Athlon Sports Optics gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 12-06-2017 11:38 AM
Can someone explain Liberalism? P-Dub Political News and Discussion 302 11-24-2017 12:21 PM
AIM Sports Hungarian AK Quad Rail Handguard (MK006Q) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-25-2017 02:43 PM
Academy Sports Registering Ammo Purchases? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-11-2017 12:30 PM

Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Default Academy Sports Policy

Advertise Here

If this topic is running in another thread, I apologize for not finding it. According to Fox News an Academy Sports Store manager was fired because he violated store policy by stopping a shoplifter who was attempting to steal firearm(s):
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/11...wyer-says.html

Being that Academy's policy is to not detain individuals involved with shoplifting, would Academy Sports be liable and responsible for the shooting death of an individual by the thief had the manager not stopped the thief from leaving the store with the firearm(s)?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PowderDreams For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 55,890 Times in 12,658 Posts

I put this in another thread but it deserves its own. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
http://amp.actionnewsjax.com/www.act...mpression=true

We can add Academy Sports to the ever growing list of douchebag businesses.

https://www.academy.com/shop/en/stor...nity-relations

888-922-2336
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,038 Times in 6,738 Posts

The policy is in place because Academy Sports can't be held liable for the criminal use of a stolen item (any more than a private citizen could be held liable), but they can be held liable for damages to the thief, a bystander, or their employee if something goes wrong with a citizens arrest.

Personally, I'd like the litigation to get scaled back and the manager or employees be given much more leeway in confronting and stopping theft. The robber could have easily and justifiably been shot for taking a gun and ammunition.

But lawsuits are the driving force. Had the manager been shot by the suspect, the manager would probably sue the store for damages even though he was "being a hero". So we end up with these sorts of corporate policies.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,298 Times in 2,526 Posts

We dont have Academys here but I see no need for a boycott over this issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,120 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post

I agree. Why boycott? The store manager chose to break store policy and they fired him end of story. You might not agree with the store's policy but their store their policy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravoLimaDelta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,421 Times in 2,868 Posts

Academy is advertising free guns, just walk in, select your free firearm, and walk out. Nobody will stop you.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,038 Times in 6,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
Academy is advertising free guns, just walk in, select your free firearm, and walk out. Nobody will stop you.
If you bring your own ammo or magazines, most other places that let you handle them would have free guns too. The thief's problem was he stole the ammunition separately.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Retired kafir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post

Boycott? Call it what you like, but I vote with my pocket book. If they lose business because people don't agree with their "policy", too bad.

They could have reprimanded the manager in other ways. Like giving him a medal.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 43,913 Times in 10,221 Posts

It was store policy before the theft and they have insurance against the theft.

A civil suit is quite costly in comparison

If they suddenly change policy for this one manager, then potentially other previous employees could come back to sue

It's best to fire him, then rehire him at a later date if they so choose!

You guys quit using your emotions in these matters, you act like liberals.....
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Retired kafir

There's right, there's wrong and there's "policy".

Who's the liberal again?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,359 Times in 1,695 Posts

They also have a no questions asked return policy as long as you have a receipt. I returned fishing rods with broken tips that were obviously my fault. I returned a marine radio and speakers that I bought 2 years ago that I was going to install in a Jeep that I sold off. You can't get that kind of service anywhere any more. I will keep shopping there.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,823 Times in 3,295 Posts

My wife is a lawyer who counsels clients on exactly this kind of situation from time to time. As implied above, it's almost all about avoiding liability from civil lawsuits. Sometimes the perp gets hurt, and so the sue the store. Sometimes it's not a theft and so the store gets sued. Sometimes the perp is just sitting around at home or in prison with nothing to do, and so sues the store to hit the lottery.

Just another way our warped society has all these costs built in because the citizenry is neither principled nor moral.

We have a lot of work to do.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Trump+Kanye=Dragon Energy

Thanked 9,217 Times in 2,668 Posts

I just picked up some kydex at academy and some guys were standing around talking about it with the gun salesman.

Apparently the guy has gotten a lot of job offers already.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamp frog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Their business, their policies. He broke a rule, regardless of how right or wrong it may be... he got fired. He was a store manager. He's intelligent enough to know the outcome of doing this. He did it of his own free will and I commend him. I couldn't in good conscience let someone walk out either knowing full well it would be used in another bad deed.

Academy has liability issues to worry about, so you can't blame them. Blame the system that prevents them from doing the right thing. Luckily, one man did the right thing, even though there was a negative consequence.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 60,032 Times in 20,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
There's right, there's wrong and there's "policy".
What both manager and company did were the the right thing to do. Without underwriting insurance the company fails. Academy isn't going to throw many thousands out of work and close a 75 year old 300 store company so they can defend their manager. The manager wasn't going to let a gun wander out into the general public without vetting. I'm sure both parties understood this.

I'm pretty sure that Academy HR made some calls for him too. Academy is a well grounded company that has withstood the various monster sport store attacks on its territory and survived while the others consolidate and go under.

The fault doesn't lie with Academy. It lies with the litigious system. It lies with underwriting companies having complete veto power over corporate decisions. If someone robs your home and you shoot them, the family of the deceased may sue. Unless you are willing to take the entirety of risk of any judgment and legal fees on yourself then your homeowner insurance may settle with the plaintiff against your wishes and then jack up your rates as a result. You aren't given a choice in the matter. Try telling an insurance company what to do. Try telling the bank that owns your note you won't accept the insurance rules. The bank and the insurance company will tell you to go pound sand or surrender your home as a default.

Academy is one of the best companies there is. Good customer policies and good products. Workers like working there. They have good Southern values and conservative creeds about doing business. If you have one in town you'll ignore those mall sized super sports stores.

But they were as trapped here as the manager was. Of course he'll get a new job. Academy will help him get one. He'll be a senior manager at Target or Home Depot by Christmas. Don't let the press and internet sensationalize your opinions on this.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.

Last edited by IamZeke; 07-14-2018 at 03:22 AM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 34,733 Times in 8,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
It was store policy before the theft and they have insurance against the theft.

A civil suit is quite costly in comparison

If they suddenly change policy for this one manager, then potentially other previous employees could come back to sue

It's best to fire him, then rehire him at a later date if they so choose!

You guys quit using your emotions in these matters, you act like liberals.....
They have a right to do it and a superficial financial incentive. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them or shop there. I like to shop with people who show strong shared principles. So do most people in Academy's market. If they were smart they'd give the guy a medal and brag about him. It would bring in additional revenue to offset any hypothetical lawsuit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Prepared

They didn't HAVE to fire him for breaking a store policy. They could have punished him with a week off (with pay of course), and told him not to do it again. How many people did he stop that thief from killing by stopping him? That is an unanswerable question, I know.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OkSixpack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 77,113 Times in 22,606 Posts

I think Academy is a great store, but they should have found a way to overlook this.
Give the manager 2 weeks off in Hawaii while investigating, then make him watch a video extolling the virtues of being a doormat for criminals and then return him to work.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Trump+Kanye=Dragon Energy

Thanked 9,217 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I think Academy is a great store, but they should have found a way to overlook this.
Give the manager 2 weeks off in Hawaii while investigating, then make him watch a video extolling the virtues of being a doormat for criminals and then return him to work.
I agree but when it hits the news it's kbye for any internal reprimand even though it should be applauded.

The Academy gun salesman I talked to today agreed with what the guy did.

He will find a sweet job after this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamp frog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 60,032 Times in 20,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
It would bring in additional revenue to offset any hypothetical lawsuit.
You can't wait for it to play out. The underwriters called the moment they found out and said ditch the guy. If they threaten to pull the insurance the company rating on Dun and Bradstreet plummets, credit dries up, the bank demands a ton more interest for the payroll cash flow, HR is told to stop new hires, etc, etc.

Unless the company of 300 stores immediately shifts to an all cash policy within a day then their business goes into a tailspin.

Underwriters can tell you to do anything legal and you have no choice but comply.

It was the manager or the company. It's that simple. What do you think the board did? They chose to not shoot the company in the head.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: