SKS Bolt mod for easy insertion of aftermarket mag when bolt is closed. (Pictures) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
223 Bolt gun cwlongshot Firearms General Discussion 51 09-09-2015 02:08 PM
.223/5.56 bolt gun. CRFly Rifle Forum 45 09-05-2015 07:45 AM
Review: Sharps Balanced Bolt Carrier Group with Relia-Bolt AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-27-2014 11:30 AM
PTAC 5.56 Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Group w/ Carpenter 158 Bolt - $74.99 apps47inc For Sale 0 02-09-2014 01:09 PM
sks bolt jam big john Military Weapons Forum 28 03-24-2013 07:51 PM
SKS mods- tapco mags to accept stripper clips, and closed bolt magazine attach cab5392 Military Weapons Forum 22 02-10-2013 02:48 PM
SKS wood stock modification to accept removeable aftermarket magazines. (Pictures) Rockyriver Military Weapons Forum 11 02-07-2013 01:10 AM
Help please? best bolt. ATR7895 Rifle Forum 32 01-27-2013 11:13 AM
30-06 bolt to 308 ??? weaselrunner Firearms General Discussion 23 07-18-2011 11:49 PM
m2 bolt mod? marduk185 Shotgun Forum 1 05-05-2011 11:13 PM

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Ham Extra Class

Thanked 5,521 Times in 1,811 Posts
Default SKS Bolt mod for easy insertion of aftermarket mag when bolt is closed. (Pictures)

Advertise Here

I know this has been done here before and on other forums, however most of the photos are blurry and some even deleted. So I thought I would do this mod today on a couple of bolts and document it to help others maybe wishing to do the same mod. I took the photos in high def, I hope they come thru that way.

If you are a SKS owner and you have an aftermarket removable magazine you know how frustrating it can be to have to lock the bolt open to remove or insert the magazine. This simple mod makes it where the bolt can be closed to remove or insert a magazine. This mod can be done with a grinder or a dremmel, however I have a vertical mill machine so I am using that.
This is hardened steel so it will have to be grounded, it cannot be machined with a die (At least not any type I own).
I pulled the firing pin and extractor out (Its very easy to do) to make it easier to clamp down.
Also when finished clean the bolt very and I mean very good to remove all grit and reassemble.
This is a great mod to do for convenience and I suggest it to all SKS owners that do not care if their gun is not stock.
To me the SKS is just a cheap fall back rifle if I need a gun that fires 7.62X39 and I could care less about keeping a $250 to $300 gun in its stock configuration.

ETA: Be sure to follow the 922r compliance on 10 or less imported parts.

ETA: If the original wooden stock is used with the Tapco 20rd mags
please see this mod also in the link below.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=247720

Here is the bottom of the bolt and I marked the area I am grinding down with a sharpie.

The bottom ledge that I am pointing too needs to be grounded flat on both sides (left and right) of the bolt by you, so as there is no ledge.
See the last pictures in this post of the bolt finished, if you need further clarity in what to grind down.

The same here on this side of the bottom edge of the bolt you must grind the ledge flat.
See the last pictures in this post of the bolt finished, if you need further clarity in what to grind down.

You are looking at the bottom of the bolt here.

Another view of the bottom of the bolt.

This side is almost finished. I have a little spot near the rear of the grind to smooth out.

This side is now finished and smooth.

This is the other side that needs to be grounded down next, so as to remove that ledge.
The bolt is mounted in the vise upside down here, just like all the other pictures of it in the vise in this post.

The finished bolt on this side. See the bottom there is no ledge now.

The finished bolt on the other side. See the bottom there is no ledge now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,392 Times in 667 Posts

What is the purpose of the ledge that you grind off? I usually retract the bold carrier about 2/3's of the way and then insert the mag. This way, no round chambers, but the mag locks into place. I'll have to try the modification. It's always been a pain to have to lock a mag the way I've been doing it.
Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM

The ledges slide under the lips of the mag and lock it in place. Unfortunatly it also prevents you from removing or inserting a mag without having the bolt back. Removing the ledges makes the bolt narrow enough to fit between the lips of the magazine.

This is a common mod among SKS owners with no known draw backs that I have found.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,316 Posts

I did my own years back with a dremel, didn't take off nearly as much material, only enough to get the mags to insert and remove easily. I didn't want to remove more mass from the bolt than needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boredom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,812 Times in 836 Posts

I am pretty sure Tapco were making bolts like that couple years ago
Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Ham Extra Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokarev 40 View Post
What is the purpose of the ledge that you grind off? I usually retract the bold carrier about 2/3's of the way and then insert the mag. This way, no round chambers, but the mag locks into place. I'll have to try the modification. It's always been a pain to have to lock a mag the way I've been doing it.
Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtim View Post
The ledges slide under the lips of the mag and lock it in place. Unfortunatly it also prevents you from removing or inserting a mag without having the bolt back. Removing the ledges makes the bolt narrow enough to fit between the lips of the magazine.

This is a common mod among SKS owners with no known draw backs that I have found.

As tkdtim pointed out the ledge slides under the lips of the magazine.
The SKS originally came with a *fixed magazine that was not removeable, so haveing the lips did not matter and also having the lips insured the *non removeable magazine would not fall out if the soldier did a field strip of the gun and then installed the non removeable magazine incorrectly.
If a removeable magazine is wanted to be used the lips need to be removed, just like the latter model SKS's that used removeable magazines.

* Note: I call the original magazine non removable, however it can be removed for cleaning of the gun by its user.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,800 Times in 3,998 Posts

Back to the top. Might mod my SKS bolt while on vacation next week.
Eye's got me a dremmel. Question is can I get a straight cut out of the dremmel?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Ham Extra Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Eye's got me a dremmel. Question is can I get a straight cut out of the dremmel?
I have used a regular bench grinder and done a very neat job with it.
The dremmel stones seem to be very cheap and soft and tend to wear out
Very quick. A dremmel will work, but IMHO a bench grinder works better.
just take your time and remember you can always take more off more if need be, however you can't put it back on if you take off
to much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,673 Times in 1,944 Posts

Quote:
Dremmeled mine a couple years back in about 20 minutes. I assure you it will get it smooth and straight enough. No problem still using the "fixed" magazine either. Win, win.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Copes has Tapco 20's in stock.
http://www.copesdistributing.com/ima...site%20mag.jpg
Just snagged 6 of them. Now if I can only find one of them SKS Intrafuze stocks.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 PM

The Tapco SKS mags have anti-tilt followers.

Don't they lock back the bolt on the last round anyways? Is this mod just for the initial feeding of the first magazine??
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 PM
With all due respect....

Thanked 5,060 Times in 1,298 Posts

I'll be damned before I grind down the bolt on my SKS's
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Proud "Neo-Confederate"

Thanked 3,000 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnman1 View Post
The Tapco SKS mags have anti-tilt followers.

Don't they lock back the bolt on the last round anyways? Is this mod just for the initial feeding of the first magazine??
It is so that you can remove or insert a Magazine without the bolt being open. I find it handy because I usually keep the SKS in the safe with a loaded Mag chamber empty.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM

I keep mine with the bolt locked back and a loaded mag in the well with the safety off. When it's time to go, charge the handle and you're ready to rock and roll. I appreciate the tutorial, but I will just push up on the little tang with my finger before I remove any material from my bolt lol
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Ham Extra Class

You guys do realize that by doing this mod it makes the bolt look just like a SKS D or M model bolt, it does not weaken it or have any negative effect.
If the makers of the SKS makes the bolts like this for the D and M models, I feel they knew there was no ill effects to have the bolt this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Survivor

This mod allows you to make 1 handed mag changes. Unlike the 3 handed mag changes the SKS requires unmodded.

1 hand to hold the bolt back, 1 hand to hold rifle up, 1 hand to insert the detachable mag.

Grinding the bolt allows you to change mags with the bolt closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Survivor

Found a Tapco Intrafuze stock from the most hated online gun parts seller out there (CTD) for normal non-inflated price - $75. The stock shipped.

I'd like to find a gas tube that is already set up for the Tapco upper handguard. That way I can keep my SKS stock unmodified.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Ham Extra Class

Question

Quote:
Found a Tapco Intrafuze stock from the most hated online gun parts seller out there (CTD) for normal non-inflated price - $75. The stock shipped.

I'd like to find a gas tube that is already set up for the Tapco upper handguard. That way I can keep my SKS stock unmodified.
Those are rare to find . eBay my be the best source in this panic environment.
Even all the once plentiful parts bins at the local gun shows are stripped clean of all SKS parts. It's getting slim Pickens on SKS used parts and certain new parts.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
Those are rare to find . eBay my be the best source in this panic environment.
Even all the once plentiful parts bins at the local gun shows are stripped clean of all SKS parts. It's getting slim Pickens on SKS used parts and certain new parts.
I seem to recall that the Chinese and Yugo SKS use a different length gas tube.

I found a source of US made SKS op rods and pistons. Seems Tapco has discontinued those (probably for lack of sales). However, the source - Mark Kubes Surplus (called something else these days) is running way behind in shipping orders.

I'll probably mod my bolt, test fire it, and then store it with the fixed mag till I can get all the required US parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,392 Times in 667 Posts

I'm thinking of going ahead with the modification. I'll probably use a pneumatic die grinder or maybe a 4 inch angle grinder to do the job. I like the die grinder because the compressed air will blow the dust and grit out of the way as I grind. I'll lock the bolt carrier into a vise to keep it straight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokarev 40 For This Useful Post: