Silica Gel in open #10 cans to prolong open can shelf life - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Provident Pantry #10 Cans Shelf Life chillin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 12-28-2018 03:37 PM
Should I open all spam cans? McAngus Firearms General Discussion 24 10-01-2014 03:55 PM
Shelf life of gasoline in Jerry cans? Eagle Scout Dan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 62 04-06-2014 04:42 PM
shelf life life of home canned foods perduepro Food and water 57 05-28-2013 06:41 PM
#10 Cans High On A Shelf prankster Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 05-14-2013 08:31 PM
Freeze Dried Food # 10 Cans Once You Open What can you extend life too? Hershon2000 Food and water 10 05-11-2013 08:31 AM
0bama says president's life "an open book" deep woods Political News and Discussion 24 08-22-2012 12:32 AM
Oct. 16-19: 25% Off MH Cans, Free Shipping, 25-yr shelf life JC Refuge Safecastle 8 10-19-2011 05:20 PM
Open Carry Bill passed in CA senate, misdemeanor if you open carry Jida Firearms General Discussion 45 09-13-2011 06:17 PM
Open Day at our life boat. the hog General Discussion 9 09-13-2009 05:00 PM

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Prepared

Default Silica Gel in open #10 cans to prolong open can shelf life

Advertise Here

We have stored multiple Mountain House #10 cans. When I read reviews of these people say after the cans are opened they usually go "bad" because of absorbing moisture.

I was wondering if you can use the silica gel in these post-opening to keep them longer - especially when the house gets humid without air conditioning (no electricity).

I purchased a 5 pound box of Silica gel (Flowering Dying Art) from Michaels' with a 50% off coupon for less than 8.00.

In searching the forum I see that people have used this in coffee filters or tied up in nylons to keep ammunition dry I also saw that people buy the silica gel packets to put in food storage.

I can make up a bunch of packets with this 5 pound box. This gel has the blue crystals that turn pink when they have absorbed moisture. They can be recharged by drying out over a fire (or oven with electricity).

Also I found, when doing the search, that people are using the crystal kitty litter. Has anyone used the kitty litters in opened #10 cans. Thanks for any ideas
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to darlenea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,962 Posts
Default Crystal Cat Litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenea View Post
We have stored multiple Mountain House #10 cans. When I read reviews of these people say after the cans are opened they usually go "bad" because of absorbing moisture.

I was wondering if you can use the silica gel in these post-opening to keep them longer - especially when the house gets humid without air conditioning (no electricity).

I purchased a 5 pound box of Silica gel (Flowering Dying Art) from Michaels' with a 50% off coupon for less than 8.00.

In searching the forum I see that people have used this in coffee filters or tied up in nylons to keep ammunition dry I also saw that people buy the silica gel packets to put in food storage.

I can make up a bunch of packets with this 5 pound box. This gel has the blue crystals that turn pink when they have absorbed moisture. They can be recharged by drying out over a fire (or oven with electricity).

Also I found, when doing the search, that people are using the crystal kitty litter. Has anyone used the kitty litters in opened #10 cans. Thanks for any ideas

the crystal cat litter is also 100% silica gel .... same as your flower drying compond ..... only alot cheaper ..... crystal cat litter sells for around $13 for a 10 lb sack ....

for DIYers .... silica gel can be re-cycled by a slow low heat dry in the oven .... crack open the oven door to allow the moisture out ..... the silica cannot be dryed in the DIY packs like coffee filters or nylon mesh .... it must be spread over a pan(s) .... check final product by sealing in zip lock bag and checking for moisture build up in the bag ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 153,049 Times in 44,570 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I can tell you from experience that in a dry climate, the opened cans last for months. But from the number of replies I've seen from folks who can't get more than a week or two out of theirs, humidity has to be the culprit.

Freeze dried foods are especially bad at absorbing humidity. More so than most dehydrated foods. Just another of their many downsides.

A dessicant would keep it dry. But every time you open it, the dessicant would have to start over again. So it would be saturated regularly and need dried out regularly too.

I've heard about the crystal cat litter too. But I'm a little unconvinced at this point. My reason is that I've worked with silica gel dessicant since I was a kid. It absorbs humidity well, but not liquid water. The cat litter is designed for liquid water, and I just don't know how well it would do for humidity. If it absorbed humidity as well as regular silica gel, it would be saturated by the time you bought it. Or even if it was packed in an airtight bag, it would be saturated shortly after opening it. I think experimentation is called for, before trusting the crystal cat litter as a humidity absorbing dessicant.

If it turns into a sort of jelly like those "cool collars" and such, it's not the same thing as the silica gel used for humidity. That's a completely different compound and it won't absorb humidity. I have a bunch of those crystals here too.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,962 Posts
Default Silica Gel is Silca Gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I can tell you from experience that in a dry climate, the opened cans last for months. But from the number of replies I've seen from folks who can't get more than a week or two out of theirs, humidity has to be the culprit.

Freeze dried foods are especially bad at absorbing humidity. More so than most dehydrated foods. Just another of their many downsides.

A dessicant would keep it dry. But every time you open it, the dessicant would have to start over again. So it would be saturated regularly and need dried out regularly too.

I've heard about the crystal cat litter too. But I'm a little unconvinced at this point. My reason is that I've worked with silica gel dessicant since I was a kid. It absorbs humidity well, but not liquid water. The cat litter is designed for liquid water, and I just don't know how well it would do for humidity. If it absorbed humidity as well as regular silica gel, it would be saturated by the time you bought it. Or even if it was packed in an airtight bag, it would be saturated shortly after opening it. I think experimentation is called for, before trusting the crystal cat litter as a humidity absorbing dessicant.

If it turns into a sort of jelly like those "cool collars" and such, it's not the same thing as the silica gel used for humidity. That's a completely different compound and it won't absorb humidity. I have a bunch of those crystals here too.

Quit buying desiccant packs years ago when silica gel became retail available ..... desiccant can become a complicated subject depending on what you are protecting against moisture .... silica gel is good for almost all prepping type usage .... the electronic and radio geeks have their own thing going sometimes when it comes to desiccant ....

read to your hearts content ..... www.sorbentsystems.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Prepared

Thanks for all of your responses. We now store mainly items that are basic ingredients to cook with from scratch - but when we first got into prepping we bought the freeze dried food - bought in a state of "beginner's prepper panic". I think what I will do is keep multiple jars that seal well and when we open up the #10 cans put them into the size servings we need in the individual jars - that way I can put in a desiccant and not open it until we are going to use the whole amount at once. Otherwise we will have to open one can eat and it for several days - and I would rather have some variety. I have given both my son and his family and daughter and her family the same #10 cans so I better get them set up with the same jars and desiccant. Then I need to write up a handout for them on what to do. Hopefully we will never need them by being out of electricity - but I like prepping for all the possibilities. Any ideas for what jars to keep for this? I have lots of canning jars and different lids but I plan to, in the fall, have them all filled with garden treasures.
The Following User Says Thank You to darlenea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 153,049 Times in 44,570 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Regular pickle jars and such would work just fine for that. They seal airtight. Good way to recycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Prepared

About how much silica gel is required for a 5 gal bucket with sliced open soup mix, misc. packets opened to keep moisture down? I am talking about things that 02 absorbers are not needed for.