To return or not return. That is the question- MSR Miniworks - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Return of the 3% down payment Bluetick Coonhound General Discussion 2 01-27-2015 08:22 AM
Return to work Flying Hawk Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 09-11-2014 07:54 AM
How far away before you don't return? shwnd Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 06-10-2014 12:58 AM
My Tax Return was Returned The Saint Jokes, Humor & Music 6 05-16-2012 11:12 PM
Need some advise about what to do with tax return. KFF General Discussion 15 01-11-2010 06:21 PM
The Return of a Legend JedLMF Firearms General Discussion 0 11-21-2009 03:47 PM
After you BO, do you plan to ever return? armedpilgrim Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 04-29-2009 01:07 PM

Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Default To return or not return. That is the question- MSR Miniworks

Advertise Here

Ok, so I bought the MSR Miniworks Ex but after I received it I decided I'm going to go with the Sawyer 4L Complete instead. I can return it but it will cost $7.95 shipping. So, after I would return that, I would be refunded $68.51

For basically $68 should I keep the MSR or should I return it and invest in another water filter? Is there any other filters out there that are the same price or less that would be better? I just worry about filters, breaking and I did NOT buy the field maintenance kit.

This would be for at home or if we had to flee but remember, this would be in ADDITION to the Sawyer 4L so I'm not saying returning this and not getting something else.

Thoughts because I just keep going back and forth thinking maybe I should be another somethink like the sawyer that doesn't have so many moving parts, rings, pumps, etc...

Thanks for the advice!
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Prepared

The problem with a Miniworks is??????
Help me out here.
The Following User Says Thank You to hypervel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 04:58 PM

I'm just not sure about having so many parts, being fragile, replacing filters, etc...

I hear how great they are and then I hear people say they were stranded without their maintenance kit. I don't backpack so it's hard for me to know which way to believe.

So, I still have the option to return it but only have a period of time and I lose out on $8 and I wasn't planning on spending $20 for the maintenance kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Contents Under Pressure

Two is one and one is none.

Keep it for a backup. Everything is prone to failure. Water is not something you want to be wrong about.

Just my 2 cents,

Pro-Pain
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pro-Pain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
To secure peace is to...

Thanked 6,537 Times in 2,164 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have a MSR MW and think it's pretty good. The main draw back is that the filter is ceramic (drop and done) and that it is very prone to freezing and can be a biyatch to get working if any of the lines get frozen. Backpacking with it in the winter time can be tough.
The Following User Says Thank You to TacomaJPP For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,093 Posts

But the problem with freezing also applies to the Sawyer perhaps even more so
The Following User Says Thank You to TANSTAF1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAF1 View Post
But the problem with freezing also applies to the Sawyer perhaps even more so
If freezing is a potential problem just put it in a pants or inside jacket pocket. It's not much bigger then a fist.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
To secure peace is to...

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
If freezing is a potential problem just put it in a pants or inside jacket pocket. It's not much bigger then a fist.
That's not really the issue. I know the tricks of the trade.

The problem is when you are filtering water in the evening, often times the temperature is in the low 20's or even teens and it only takes minutes (seconds sometimes) to freeze and then it is a struggle to even filter the water at all. I can easily keep the filter from freezing overnight (bottom of my sleeping bag). In the Smoky Mountains, in winter, it can get bitterly cold and trying to thaw the filter by fire to keep it filtering becomes dangerous and difficult. Trying not to melt the plastic, o-rings or thermal-cycling the ceramic.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM

I understand a backup is ideal but is THIS one the best backup? On other one I can think of in the price range of under $70 is the sawyer bucket filter???
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,666 Times in 8,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
That's not really the issue. I know the tricks of the trade.

The problem is when you are filtering water in the evening, often times the temperature is in the low 20's or even teens and it only takes minutes (seconds sometimes) to freeze and then it is a struggle to even filter the water at all. I can easily keep the filter from freezing overnight (bottom of my sleeping bag). In the Smoky Mountains, in winter, it can get bitterly cold and trying to thaw the filter by fire to keep it filtering becomes dangerous and difficult. Trying not to melt the plastic, o-rings or thermal-cycling the ceramic.
Could you filter earlier when it's warmer, and simply save the filtered water to drink later?

Are you not carrying any water at all, and depending completely on a filter?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM

I have had and used my MSR miniworks ex for 5 years now, and the only thing I have ever had to do to it is replace the oring on the pump cup. The filter is still within specs (the filter gauge does not fit over it yet) so it has lasted wuite awhile. It is important to fully dry the filer before use as it will mold. Boiling in water for a few mins is suffcient to clean it. (per MSR)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
To secure peace is to...

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Could you filter earlier when it's warmer, and simply save the filtered water to drink later?

Are you not carrying any water at all, and depending completely on a filter?
As it turns out, most of the time campsites are close to water. That being said, most often times, it is close to dark when we get to camp and we don't have a choice. When we can filter earlier, we do...sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.