Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Range Rifle Scope suggestions under $2,000.00 6.8SPC Rifle Forum 33 04-03-2018 01:32 PM
Extremes of Long Range Shooting ? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-10-2018 08:00 PM
Savage Markets New Long Range Rifle AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-24-2017 06:30 PM
Long Range Precision Shooting Discoveries/Myths Red*Lion Rifle Forum 6 01-23-2017 03:33 PM
Whats your $1000.00 Long Range Rifle Build? lildrestl3 Rifle Forum 47 11-14-2016 01:10 PM

Old 04-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,030 Posts
Default Long range hunting article

Advertise Here

I was looking around and found this on long range hunting.

http://quietsurvivalist.com/long-ran...and-arguments/

Some good points there about lack of knowledge on bulet performance at below expansion velocity
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,925 Posts

I definitely agree about the growing lack of woodland and tracking/stalking skills.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 07:53 AM

Great article, thank you for sharing! I am a beginner and would like to start in long range hunting. As far as I understand first of all you need some good optics. I've bought a scope already and now I am searching for a binocular like those that are mentioned in this review(https://opticzoo.com/nikon-monarch-5-12x42-review/). Do you know where I can purchase such used binocular?
The Following User Says Thank You to Doulabar For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulabar View Post
great article, thank you for sharing! I am a beginner and would like to start in long range hunting. As far as i understand first of all you need some good optics. I've bought a scope already and now i am searching for a binocular like those that are mentioned in this review(https://opticzoo.com/nikon-monarch-5-12x42-review/). Do you know where i can purchase such used binocular?

this is a bot. ^^^^^^^^^^^ bot bot bot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,714 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulabar View Post
Great article, thank you for sharing! I am a beginner and would like to start in long range hunting. As far as I understand first of all you need some good optics. I've bought a scope already and now I am searching for a binocular like those that are mentioned in this review(https://opticzoo.com/nikon-monarch-5-12x42-review/). Do you know where I can purchase such used binocular?
If your serious in regards to long range hunting, then it is going to take quite a bit more than a pair of field glasses, a scope, and a rifle. This method of hunting takes more time to get it right than any other method....to include stalk hunting and despite what anyone else thinks. ( Especially folks that cannot do it, and preach to others that they can't achieve it at all.)

.The article's author for example. He makes a few good points towards what it takes to begin into this method, and spends way too much typing on disputing as to why it should not be achievable. ( His definition of a Texas heart shot is not only incorrect, but ridiculous nonsense too boot)

Long range hunting is also a rather expensive proposition ....especially concerning ammunition....which is best if Taylor loaded for a specific rifle to achieve the best results possible. Data over previous engagements ( DOPE) should be precise, and needs to cover every possibility. ( Im not going to get into detail here as your research has just begun.) The point of all that data is to limit as many variables as possible for consistent hits at whatever your data tells you is your maximum effective range via cold bore shot at a living animal. Most important.......Learn when it comes time NOT to make the shot.

Be advised that I am not here to discourage your effort. Simply a few suggestions as to where this yellow brick road is gonna take you to.

Also be advised that the various methods of hunting always seem to have an ego attached to them. ( Ignore the egos as it is nothing more than a kindergarten pi$$ing contest). The more methods you excel at, the more versatile you become as a hunter. Plain and simple.....no ego baloney required.

With that said.....

One other suggestion in regards to hunting. I say that a better place to start is actual tracking, ambush hunting, stalk hunting prior to the long distance endeavor. Once you have your own experience developed , and are confident that you can utilize these other methods ( preferably using any suitable firearm and better yet archery as well)....... then go after your long game......so to speak.

FWIW......I will share 2 hunting experiences with you.

The first was a pronghorn antelope hunt. 658 yards exact using a rifle that has seen in excess of 75k while in my mitts since it was built to my very exact specifications. ( The first one built did not make the long range cut btw. ....)

The second story involves stalking right up and inside of 10 inches of that Rocky mtn mule deer in second pic armed only with a camera to show it can be done.

The point here has nothing to do with which method is the best, more " he man", or any such nonsense. It has more to do with 2 methods being better than one or the other.
Tools for the tool box.

Good luck and be safe.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed goat.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	295460  
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 7,901 Times in 2,007 Posts

I AM probably one of those guilty folks who if you asked the average hunter, take shots too far out.

That said, for every shot I have taken out past 500yds I have probably spent 100+ hours shooting the exact same equipment I hunt with at 1000yds.

Caribou hunting covers the gamut of possibilities.
If the timing and herd movement is right, you could hunt them with a big knife, or most certainly a spear. I have been in a clump of bush and had them walking by me on both sides within touching distance... 50, 70, maybe a hundred of them. The numbers boggle the mind.
Conversely,
if they are moving at the wrong time, you can't intercept them and you can't catch them unless you are on a snowmobile. And, they can be a long way off.
My last hunt the closest caribou I saw was 600yds and it was a calf. They just weren't cooperating that year. My farthest shot and kill I ranged at just a hair over 800yds. THANK YOU Shepherd scope.

I am one of the few fortunates that has access to 1000yd range within 6 miles of my home. So, I get to shoot distance a LOT with little effort.
I used the same .340Weatherby with a McArthur brake and a Shepherd scope on top. Loads are tailored to the scope's ballistic design and the rifle will regularly shoot 6-7" groups at 1000. I have the wind drift table taped to the butt stock so I can immediately figure any windage required. The Shepherd figures the distance and elevation needed and I just have to work out the wind drift.. and the .340 is fairly forgiving on that.

I started caribou hunting with a group of guys through another friend who thought 2-300yds was long range shooting. When you have spent hours practicing shooting on an 18" target at 1000yds... do you have any idea how BIG a caribou at 500 yds looks through the same equipment?

Long range shooting only works if you PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 PM

Close up picture of a deer head proves nothing about stalking..could have been a pet deer. Doesn't mean it's not real and he didn't stalk up in it..I'm just saying...
I think it's two different discussions...apples and oranges situation. Both methods take real skill and knowledge...just different things going on..... In my opinion....not here to fuss or start an argument........
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozarkfarmer57 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 06:42 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 43,860 Times in 10,216 Posts

"Long Range Hunting"

What is it to you? Everyone has a different idea as to what long range is....

I use to live in the Panhandle of Texas, long range could be in excess of 1000yds (or even miles )

Where I live now, here in Texas, long range could be 100yds.

Just saying "long range" without any kind of parameter really doesn't tell anyone much, same as accuracy.......what is it to you? Bullseye? Group size? What range? MOA?

I like shooting critters (that I intend to keep) somewhat close. Easier to track and easier to retrieve.

I shot an aoudad one time at 850yds, it took me the rest of the day to get that animal, it was only for a mount as aoudad aren't really worth eating. It was on the other side of a huge canyon.

Coyotes, I love to shoot at very long range......because I don't have to retrieve them, same as pigs!

I've lost a few game animals, some trophy class, because frankly I shot them too far away. I didn't get good placement and the animal had too much time to get away before I could get there.

The farther that shot is, the less knock down power your gun has

It's nice to think about and even great to slap yourself on the back and brag to others for the "one" shot you got lucky on. You also need to humiliate yourself on those you don't get, you lose or you just flat cannot get to.

I'm not trying to flame anyone but for discussion purposes, give us some parameters!

One other thing......

Think before you pull the trigger!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:44 PM
Born 120 years too late.

WHAT is the more difficult shot to pull off?
and
which is more ethical?

A large game animal standing still under favorable conditions at 800yds

or
the shot at the same animal at 400yds in a high wind while the animal is on the move heading into about a 30-40mph wind and the wind would be an almost 90 degree crossing wind to you?
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 06:30 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
and
which is more ethical?

or
the shot at the same animal at 400yds in a high wind while the animal is on the move heading into about a 30-40mph wind and the wind would be an almost 90 degree crossing wind to you?
You're second shot would be more difficult IMO!

Neither shot is ethical with most hunting cartridges used by most hunters with the second scenario being just difficult due to weather conditions

This comment isn't directed at you but....

How could anyone call themselves a "hunter" if they can't get a better shot than either of those scenarios?

I prefer to put the odds in my favor for greater success, I use a capable round and I'm disciplined enough to take only the shots I'm capable of taking

I guess experience does that to you! I don't like to track, and I don't like to hump an animal any further than necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:44 AM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post

I guess experience does that to you! I don't like to track, and I don't like to hump an animal any further than necessary.
The tracking and the stalking is the "hunt". It is the best part IMHO. Humping the animal back is significantly less fun though
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,425 Posts

Believe long range is defined as 600+ yards...then you get the Extreme long range arena. Mid-range being between 300-600 yards and anything below that is close range.

Article mentioned makes some good points but missing a lot of other important factors.

For animals I want to eat, I keep within close-range...stalking is so much fun (weather permitting), to know you can close the gap and then pull the trigger. When I hunt Antelope in Wyoming, its pretty much Spot-n-Stalk with GREAT binos and a decent rifle scope. I will often see them way out there (1000+ yards) and then I start studying the terrain for approach...can easily take me hours to get there, sometimes sooner if they are already headed my way, unsuspecting.

Something to consider....If you are hell-bent on LONG Range, get yourself the best glass you can afford...whether its for binos or scope. Cause you will be looking through them all day long when hunting. Best Glass doesn't always mean the most expensive (although sometimes they are).

For rifle Optics, I use to think I needed to get the most powerful riflescope I could buy... could not be further from the truth. A decent 12x (fixed or variable) Multi-Coated scope is more than enough when going out to 1000-yards and is MUCH more preferable to me than going with a 25x scope. With the 12x I can keep the target in my scope's sight-picture AND watch the bullet trace to see where it impacted should I need to make adjustments for another shot. You go with 25x, then the rifle will jump and you WILL lose that sight-picture AND miss the bullet trace to POI in case you miss cause it will take you much longer to get that sight-picture back.

Don't make the mistake I made and had to buy twice...Once thinking with young eyes and smaller budget and later with older eyes and bigger budget...if I had to do it all over again, I would have waited a little longer to buy a LIFETIME set of glass (particularly with Binos). Eye strain is real, even at younger age but more pronounced as you get older.

If you are beginning, the here are some tips:

1. Get yourself a good pair of ROOF PRISM Multi-Coated binoculars (HD if you can afford it). For most occasions 8x42 is plenty to start with. Gets you a wider FOV and handles 'bounce' better. I will use those more often than my 10x42, whether in the woods or affield.

2. For a Scope, if you are on a tight budget, a GOOD fixed 6x (30mm) is plenty for anything within 300 yards. Beyond that I would look at a 10x or 12x. If your rifle is also going to be used for hunting in the woods, then look at a variable scope. I prefer First Focal Plane but to each their own.

Keep in mind that 95% of the time, you are glassing the terrain with Binos...the other 5%, or less, is when you are setting up or ready to pull the trigger.

Last edited by JLW1974; 01-24-2020 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: content
Old 01-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,687 Times in 7,696 Posts

Quote:
and
which is more ethical?

or
For most people, both are equally difficult, both are "long range", and neither is "ethical".

I wouldn't pull the trigger on either, unless I had no other options at all. And I cannot imagine how that situation would occur...it's ALWAYS an option to simply not shoot, when hunting game.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:10 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
You're second shot would be more difficult IMO!

Neither shot is ethical with most hunting cartridges used by most hunters with the second scenario being just difficult due to weather conditions

This comment isn't directed at you but....

How could anyone call themselves a "hunter" if they can't get a better shot than either of those scenarios?

I prefer to put the odds in my favor for greater success, I use a capable round and I'm disciplined enough to take only the shots I'm capable of taking

EVER winter hunted caribou????

90% of the time they are on the move, and not just a slow amble.
Where you hunt/find them can be thick scrub pine areas where a long shot would be 50yds, but most of the time it is out in the open. So, you literally have miles of tundra in front of you and there may be a couple thousand animals in view, but they are a mile away and are not waiting for you to close with them, further, snow... deep as in areas with 3+ feet of snow in the valleys and basins between you and them.

You have to take them where you find them. My last caribou hunt even though there were thousands of animals around, you couldn't get to them. 3 of my hunting partners would have gone home empty after spending thousands of $$$ on their hunts because they wouldn't take shots they knew they probably would't hit. Pretty much anything over 300yds was outside of their comfort zone. And yes I helped them fill their tags. Everything I killed on that hunt was over 600yds. And it wasn't because they were not skilled woodsmen, we all were, just that the caribou gods were not smiling on them and there was way too much snow to deal with. When one came within range you had to take advantage of the situation.

I was really into stalk hunting in my younger days and I still prowl the woods and sneak up on critters, but in hunts like the above you are on a schedule and you have paid the bucks so you should be able to take your chances.
A couple of caribou give you a fair amount of winter meat and they are sooooooo tasty.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:36 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
The tracking and the stalking is the "hunt". It is the best part IMHO. Humping the animal back is significantly less fun though
Quote:
EVER winter hunted caribou????

I was really into stalk hunting in my younger days and I still prowl the woods and sneak up on critters, but in hunts like the above you are on a schedule and you have paid the bucks so you should be able to take your chances.
A couple of caribou give you a fair amount of winter meat and they are sooooooo tasty.
I guess I should have clarified my statement a bit:

I don't like tracking wounded animals! I've had a few experiences with customers and their kids and even friends where they didn't get a good shot and I had to go to extreme measures to retrieve the animal. If it had been flatter land, maybe I'd have a different outlook

I've never hunted Caribou, I'd love to though........is this an invite?

I've been looking for a reason to buy a 30-378 Roy

I've hunted muleys and whitetails along with several types of exotics here in Texas. I've hunted elk in New Mexico, Colorado and Idaho

Poor shot placement and poor bullet choice seem to be the biggest issues with what I've seen. Taking shots that shouldn't have been taken have accounted for some too

I've sold my properties and no longer lease the amount of land that I used to so I no longer take customers afield.

I like it when it's just me and/or my son now days. I don't have to worry about others
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkfarmer57 View Post
Close up picture of a deer head proves nothing about stalking..could have been a pet deer. Doesn't mean it's not real and he didn't stalk up in it..I'm just saying...
I think it's two different discussions...apples and oranges situation. Both methods take real skill and knowledge...just different things going on..... In my opinion....not here to fuss or start an argument........
Why hell kid.
It could have been a stuffed deer for all your bubba butt knows.....lol. On the flip side, them long range hunters claiming 700 yards and then some have me beat. ( My version of long range hunting is a bit different) The author of the article stated his version of long range hunting = anything over 800 yards.

Not my point however.

The point: Both skills are better to have than one or the other. Both can also be applied towards applications in addition to hunting as well. ( Useful in my line of work for example) Neither method is impossible to utilize to success.

On a side note: Colorado mulies are quite a bit different in nature ...vs.... Ozark Mtn white tails when it comes to stalking. Knowing intimate details about critters you intend to hunt would be fairly important to folks who actually hunt imo...lol
FWIW. ....... White tail deer along the MO/ AR state line is much more challenging to stalk in my experience compared to Rocky mtn mule deer. Head east towards KS, and it is a whole other ballgame. ( Same with pronghorn antelope)

Only been caribou hunting twice. ( 1 at around 400 yards and the other at around 40 yards.) On a side note, having snow mobiles out on that tundra proved invaluable. ....which is how most everyone up there hunts when the snow gets deep.....including native Alaskans.

The vast majority of my year around long range hunting involves the feral pig population in my home state , and in open country. ( Just dumped 4 as of this morning).
Could I get closer? Yup. I chose not to however.

Speaking of "pets", we prefer to use our horses when hunting remote places. ( Pic below shows one of our pack horses all bundled up for a trip into the mountains above 8000 feet.)
Invaluable once elk are down and the real work begins. ( pic2 at about 30-40 yards)
Pic 3 shows a rifle all set up to stalk sounders with intent to dump as many pigs as possible...lol. ( This one has seen a few hunts since pic was taken. I recently bought it from my huntin buddy.
( Note that the magazine in photo = CMI stainless steel 20rd M14 mag. )

11B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pack set 4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	296558   Click image for larger version

Name:	gubedapy.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	296560   Click image for larger version

Name:	aimpoint comp.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	296562  
Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I guess I should have clarified my statement a bit:

I don't like tracking wounded animals! I've had a few experiences with customers and their kids and even friends where they didn't get a good shot and I had to go to extreme measures to retrieve the animal. If it had been flatter land, maybe I'd have a different outlook

I've never hunted Caribou, I'd love to though........is this an invite?

I've been looking for a reason to buy a 30-378 Roy

I've hunted muleys and whitetails along with several types of exotics here in Texas. I've hunted elk in New Mexico, Colorado and Idaho

Poor shot placement and poor bullet choice seem to be the biggest issues with what I've seen. Taking shots that shouldn't have been taken have accounted for some too

I've sold my properties and no longer lease the amount of land that I used to so I no longer take customers afield.

I like it when it's just me and/or my son now days. I don't have to worry about others
Agreed. In addition, poor shot placement at 30feet suffers the same poor results as a shot at longer distances would. A perfect example of this is what the author mentioned concerning a broadside hit that went thru both hind quarters. While this is not a " Texas heart shot" as he incorrectly called it......pi$$ poor results were what he ended up with.

As for hunting at longer distances, the bigger issue I have seen = failure to read wind correctly, under/ over estimating range to target, angle shooting , and poor choice in equipment for task at hand. ( Not enough gun/ counting on equipment that can't handle the environment being hunted, etc.....)

By far, the #1 issue has been lack of skill / experience with chosen rifle/ cartridge too begin with.
In other words.......folks that own the latest/ greatest, yet do not put in enough time to truly become acquainted with thier chosen equipment. ( Lack of any real practice)

I would say that bullet selection was not much of an issue in and of itself. ( No excuse for failure to pick a suitable bullet via intended species being hunted in today's world.)

One example: A buddy of mine came out to my place for some hog hunting. He is the kind of guy who has a dedicated hunting rifle for everything possible under the sun. ( At least 60 different boom sticks with long distance, brush hunting, mountain rifle, " thumpers ", etc.....in mind ) Expensive optics as well as ammunition specifically designed for the various critters he planned to hunt.

Problem is, he never took the time to get really good with any 1 of those rifles.Long story short, he didn't put any pigs in the dirt that weekend. The 1 pig he did manage to connect with was not what one would call a " DRT " by any means either.

Would be fine hunting the vast majority of North America with the 2 rifles in pic below.

Regardless of hunting method ( stalking, longer distance, ambush,) the hunter should be able to utilize his hunting stick in the first place.

2nd pic shows 3 different loads of factory ammunition designed with hunting in mind, and all are same cartridge. The point here has nothing to do with " which one is better for this critter or that critter", as the 2 Winchester loads have pictures of the animals them loads are designed for...so folks who struggle with reading English could figure it out.....lol.
The point I make here is that I know exactly what one particular rifle of mine is capable of using any of those loads via consistent basis.

I personally don't put much stock in the " arsenal/ battery approach to hunting rifles. A few selected rifles that the end user takes time to master make much more sense for hunting, and especially hunting longer distances. Both in below pic see quite a bit of time on mytarget range as well.

As for hunting in general. .....those folks you mentioned are paying you to do the actual hunting since you are leading them to the game.

11B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191208_121141.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	296568   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180130_132539.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	296570