Survivalist Forum banner

MAG

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Nomad 2nd 
#1 ·
Well, it just got a lot less theoretical.

Buddy of mine (Who has NO idea) has broached economic collapse or Balkinization scinarios, and brought up "mutual assistance"
His cousin and he gave already been talking about it. (As well as consolidating from 2 farms to one.) in a "years" vs "decades" timeline.

Thus far it's all been on me, with people either invited but making no investment, or not knowing they are invited (including both the individuals discussed above.)

Ones an army combat vet, the other a Motor T Marine with no combat deployment, but that's a good base. early to mid 30's.

Farms will be changing (more goats, less cows etc) to be more diversified and more efficient. (Less use of off farm resources.)

My buddy brought up getting gear (he has an AR, but not all the kit.)
We agree the more we can feed the less we have to shoot. 2 of us are on the Vol FD. (I intend on "bringing in" several members in time.)

This will be an interesting dynamic change and I wonder how it will go. (I will be keeping a large degree of OPSEC and acting as if I am starting from now in both knowledge and resources. Less because I am concerned about security, and more because I don't want them to be content with the progress thusfar.)

One thing, is more liquid fuel tanks. (Ability to grow crops for longer.)
Also perhaps duplicate tractors (parts) vs different tractors. (Wasn't a concern yesterday)

Open to all constructive thoughts:

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a bit hard to read what your talking about but from what I gather your plan B is coming together? Some times listening to these people can gain you alot of info and inserting your two cents at the right time can really bring things together.

Same machines can be really handy. Even if they have the same engine can help. I have a 1990 kubota mini ex and a 1989 kubota 4x4 tractor. They both have the same engine and use the same air and oil filters. I have yet to need to rob from one to get the other going but parts are plentiful.

#4 ·
MAG stands for Mutual Assistance Group.

Basically 2 people, one with a high degree of trust, and the other his cousin with a fair degree of trust whom were already in but didn't know it approached ME about setting one up going forward due to the way things have gone this year.

Both are farmers with land and livestock as well as military experence.

So: what I'll be able to accomplish has increased (don't have to do it all myself) but I'll also be dealing with other people's opinions more.

#11 ·
and that is the issue I am facing. now that I have the opportunity and funds, my kids will be leaving, i am older and simply wouldn't have the bodies to make a modest homestead successful let alone one in the 160-320 range like i have anticipated and planned for.

#7 ·
I envy anyone who can put together a group of like-minded individuals. I have people who I trust, but are too far away (from me and from each other) to be beneficial. It has turned into more of an idea-sharing network, which is better than nothing for planning purposes but not of any particular value when (not if) TSHTF.

Make the most of it.

#8 ·
Good deal OP.

Hopefully they don't loose interest and/or start in fighting and tear apart everyone's plans.

I have three brothers. Two of whom I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire and the other, while a bit concerned, is simply not going to up end his family's VERY upper middle class life for anything except an actual shooting war. So it's just me and the wife out here. Though we do have neighbors we can count on in general terms as well.

Reactions: SoJ_51
#9 ·
This nation has already become tribal. Given that, find a machine shop now to fabricate the farm equipment you see you will need. Lay in welding supplies as you can, especially welding gases. Fuel is a problem, but diesel stores well. Buy more water purification equipment & supplies and ammo (can't have enough of either). Good wishes working out these problems. You do have a head start on most folks. :thumb:

#12 ·
My issue is that I am surrounded by mostly people who think nothing is ever gonna change or will be looking to mooch off others. The ones that at least have knowledge and skills are at the upper end of the age bracket and are not physically able to do what they used to. The couple times I have probed by making leading statements, I have got looks like I came from outer space. This is from veterans, hunters, and farmers in my normal life. People you think would be on board at least a bit. One neighbor actually mentioned in front of me that someone she knows a street over has a basement full of home canned goods and if the apocalypse comes she is going there. Not that she is invited there mind you.

There is one guy I used to work with that I had some conversations with. On one side he is so gungho talking about it, but then most of it is just talk. His gear and supplies are not even enough for him short term. When we discussed it, he constantly has some not so realistic idea of how he will make do. I think most of his knowledge and ideas come from movies. We all know how well thought out those are.

So my dilemma is that I have been in this mindset and studied on it long enough to know that I cannot carry the family (none of which are on board) and even if all 4 of us were of like mind, that that is not enough for any type of long term sustainability.

Unfortunately, I can't just take out an ad saying "Looking for like minded individuals to organize a MAG".

#14 ·
Look outside of the "usual" people such as former soldiers, and look at the county extension people. The ones who teach canning, gardening and sewing. Might find them at your church also.

Doctors are always thought of but veterinarians are used to dealing with patients who can't tell them whats wrong. And unlike GP's, generally have large quantities of meds on hand.

Look for people who have different experience and knowledge.
***** in his writing has mentioned having a number of people outside your group, to network and trade with.

Look around.

#15 ·
Not looking.

If I haven't known you for years..... Not invited.

I can, (recently put together a group buy for people who are in and know it, and people who are in and do not know it of tattler lids.) I now have 4,000+ tattler lids.

Buddy mentioned in the OP and I are both combat arms, combat vets, and we have both participated in the master Gardner program. (Which was a disappointment.)

My focus (concerning this thread) is more on strategy and logistics as my background is more tactics and direct action in nature.

...we now have/are in developing stages of solar systems for 4 priorities and I have greatly expanded my solar capabilities. Owners of all properties garden, and have livestock.

...country life.

I need to develop some TO&E.

#20 ·
Hey Nomad, Devil's Advocate Time. The 2 that are getting you optimistic about this, not the others, why now? Is it a logical progression or is it JIC, bordering on Panic Mode?
With all your Social Skills, were these guys on your radar?

If I haven't said so before, I envy much of what you share here. It's not just **** luck, it takes intelligent planning and dedication. I suspect many here don't have a chance at something like a MAG. My neighbors are at best, buffoons, one planning to walk to Canada, each of the family members carrying a 50 can full of ammunition. Another plans on bulldozing 3 of 6 access roads to my town. "Let somebody else do the other 3". That's a literal quote by the way, spoken in my presence. My sister and BIL who I do trust, live 900 miles away.

#21 ·
Hey Nomad, Devil's Advocate Time. The 2 that are getting you optimistic about this, not the others, why now? Is it a logical progression or is it JIC, bordering on Panic Mode?
With all your Social Skills, were these guys on your radar?

If I haven't said so before, I envy much of what you share here. It's not just **** luck, it takes intelligent planning and dedication. I suspect many here don't have a chance at something like a MAG. My neighbors are at best, buffoons, one planning to walk to Canada, each of the family members carrying a 50 can full of ammunition. Another plans on bulldozing 3 of 6 access roads to my town. "Let somebody else do the other 3". That's a literal quote by the way, spoken in my presence. My sister and BIL who I do trust, live 900 miles away.
There is actually more than 2:

" J. " has claimed to be a "prepper" (has non-existent OPSEC) FOR years.
At the beginning of Corona I pretended to "wake up to the threat" (more on this later) and talked about/ "bought supplies" (I topped off, but pretended it was my first trip)
I found out "J" had perhaps a month worth of food.
(I bought him 3 months on the condition he maintain it. (actually did that for several pepple.) He is very proud that he is now "adding to it")
I told them to pay me back the money in 2 years. Perhaps some will.

Other than a .22 he had a XD 45 he had fired a couple times and had a partial box of ammo for, and a mini 14 and exactly zero rounds of 556.
OTOH he is an excellent gardner and is very honest. (I have fixed his Armerment issues.)

He has been predicting the economic collapse of the US for years.

" B. " (mentioned in the OP) is a Army Afganistan vet and full time farmer. (Actually livestock of several types, but finally put in a veggie garden this year.)
Always broke, but is a scrounger like me, we have gone in together on many deals. Grew up very poor/large Ozark family etc. (2 of which are nurses) I "traded" him. an M4gery for some "work" a couple years ago.

B and I have in years past made fun of J for his "doom and gloom"
After a few years I "came out" as a prepper to J, but he is the only one who knows.... And not everything.

"N&A" are the only ones with less land than me, but are older and have a large variety of useful skillsets. Also self styles preppers, when I "got worried about covid" and used to as an opportunity to talk about "all this stuff I was just learning" it turns out that they only had 3 months worth of food! (So disapointing.) They are "comfortable" and have been greatly adding to this lately, but have no defensive value. Also superb gardeners.

In addition there is "B&D" who are "not preppers" but have livestock, garden, and WELL over 3 months worth of food, decent with weapons, Jack of many trades etc. They aren't "in" like the others now are, but they are in regardless.

Then there's others like my preacher who carries either a kimber 45 or a Glock 10mm on the pulpet, garden, can, have cows, etc.
I actually found out what calibers his kids deer hunt with so I could put back ~200 rounds for each of them.
He is not "in", but will be.

There's others who are less in, but due to trust or proximity will be included and I have been preparing for for years.

I picked this area very well. Over 50% have at least small gardens, wood stoves are common etc.

Now for your question:

Quite obviously; it's the state of the world.
Which is why I am maintaining a large degree of opsec.
I Neither want them getting complacent because of my preperations, nor if they change their mind later to know "what I've got"

But is "working together to all get solar" (more in my case)
That's fine, and expands the capabilities of the community without it all falling to me. (I do not have enough money to do that.)

"B" now believes that "while he thought that the US might collapse when he was an old man" (he is mid 30's) it now many in 5-15 years.

I "allow myself" to reluctantly agree that while it is not likely, that it may be possible (agreeing that "one day") me and him joke about "J" being right all along. (On one occasion I had to call J on the drive over to his house to "pick his brain" to tell him what he needed to know to answer "our" questions.):D:

ALL of these people were "in the circle of trust"
Thing was, I was limited to just my resources.

Now I have multiple people looking to spend money on things like solar, tanks of fuel, increased livestock pools, etc.I
JUST coordination for things like livestock diversity (both types and bloodlines) is huge.

I am working hard to prevent a "post Y2k" style abandonment by building it organically, but everyone listed is interested in the lifestyle, not just out of fear.
Fear is just prompting more active preperations.

(There are others not listed, another vet buddy is looking at 10 acres near me and wants a Garden and small livestock. 100% lifestyle, not preperation.) But what do I care why so long as the result is the same!?!

Additionally family have offered resources for added sustainability (food etc.) they were already welcome, but the logistics of that have yet to be determined.

In short:
Fear is certainly a factor, but I am working to make it continue on past fear as insurance, and things that pay for themselves/are good to have anyway. (N&A are only getting ~2Kw of solar, but they have a whole house geny already, and N said: "I've spent more on worse")

More hands, more assets to bring overall costs down, and more people preparing for themselves whom I was preparing for anyway.
(So I guess perhaps I might take a small degree of credit as I rarely miss an opportunity to talk about tattler lids and all the money I save etc.)

Win win win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.