Survivalist Forum banner

Three Farm Animals

4K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  neiowa 
#1 ·
I’ll start this off by saying, this is a dumb post. But I think it might be a good thought experiment just to get us thinking about what our priorities and needs are in our own situations.

So, let’s just assume that you’re moving to your homestead again for the first time ( or like in my case, just moving to a new homestead). But in this imaginary world, you are only able to get three types of farm animal: you can have as many of those types as you want (and we’ll just assume for the sake of argument that you can have multiple breeds within the same species). Also, dogs, cats, etc don’t count as farm animals.

For me, I think I would go with Turkeys, goats and pigs.

Turkeys: I’d want turkeys for several reasons. They do everything chickens do, but when push comes to shove, there’s more meat in a turkey than a chicken. With a few acres to run around in, feed costs would be minimal, and they keep snakes and other similar critters down. Plus, I also like turkeys.

Goats: here’s where that multiple breed thing comes in handy. I’d want a mix of fiber goats and milk goats. The fiber goats are obviously for making fiber, though they are edible too. The milk goats give you dairy products, and food. Goats browse more than graze, so feeding them in Western Montana would be that much easier, and their small size makes them easier to keep where you want them than say, a cow.

Pigs: Bacon. But seriously, they produce a lot of meat, eat a lot of stuff that I wouldn’t have anything else to do with, and they can fill up a garden for you for free. They do require some stout fencing, but that’s no big deal.

So, how about everyone else? What do you all think of my thought experiment.

See less See more
#3 ·
I assume that on this forum your view might be self sustainability. Turkeys are good instead of chickens for a reason you haven't considered. They can eat grass. That's right, grass. If you are willing to raise corn and somehow protect it from the raccoons, then chickens are OK. A single chicken eats 80 pounds of feed per year. A dozen chickens eat almost half on ton of feed per year. Are you into raising that kind of crop weight for them? While turkeys do better with a little feed, they can mostly get by on grass. Same with pigs. Big boar male pigs can reach 700 pounds and can be dangerous. I'm considering raising a pair of pigs, with a female Idaho pasture pig (a breed bred for eating mainly grass) and a male Kunekune pig (smaller size less dangerous). Both types specialize in eating grass. Goats are great for milk, but the problem with that is: ya gotta milk them. That can be a problem when you go on vacation or just get into a rut of not feeling like doing it twice a day. And goats specialize in escaping through fences. Any weak spot will be found. And they will girdle trees, killing them.

I am going with St. Croix hair sheep, which are virtually immune to worm parasites. Could be a big deal in a SHTF situation when ivermectin isn't available. No wool to have to shear, 2.5 lambs per birth, and docile. Can live on grass. Lots to like about them.

#6 ·
Chickens. [Mine eat grass and certain weeds just fine]. Several breeds/varieties maybe even some bantams.

Cattle. They can get along of pasture assuming you have enough. If you don’t eat any calves, well they can help with the milking problem. Even if they get out they generally come home at night. AND you can use them for labor — oxen. I don’t want to pull a plow. [And once you do do a harvest, you can run them in those fields to ‘clean things up’. Part of the crop rotation thing — fallow grazing land. And more fertilizer to add to the chicken poop.

If I didn’t go for cattle I’d have to go for a donkey breed or two and have as my 3rd species alpine goats which are inclined to graze more than many other goats.

While I have never raised them, perhaps one or both of the American Camilids — llama or alpaca. I’d prefer them for my third species over say sheep or goats — as they are a good guard species.

#7 ·
llama, goats and chickens. Llama for fiber, guarding and packing, goats for milk and chickens for eggs and meat. all three could be field raised. right now I have those three and turkeys, emus, ducks, sheep and alpacas. I'm going to assume the farm dog is not included in this string as it is a given essential

#8 ·
If limited to 3 types:

Chickens - eggs and meat. While turkeys are larger/more meat, chickens lay more eggs, and can reproduce more rapidly.

Goats - milk, meat, and fiber; depending on the breed. They are also great for clearing brush/weeds.

Pigs - because, well, BACON! Also lard. Personally, I like American Guinea Hogs. Smaller breed, and more docile than most breeds; smaller boned, so excellent meat-to-bone ration. They also have excellent lard on them.

That being said, I currently have chickens, turkeys, goats, and Irish Dexter cattle (smaller breed, very docile, and developed as a triple-purpose animal...milk, meat, and draft animal). Will be going to see about some pigs in a couple of days.

#10 ·
Our turkeys are not professionals when it comes the reproduction. Also, they do not lay enough eggs for a long enough time. Our geese would be tempting because they eat grass, very independent, and are often great parents, but also lay very few eggs. Eggs would be so handy for more types of cooking vs eating to survive, and may make good trade goods, chicken wins.

Lard and bacon, so pigs are in the pen.

I would be wanting a pair of oxen, so a breeding pair to produce replacements and the ability to sell them as high dollar goods, but, worry about the amount of hay.

InMichigan

#12 ·
I am tempted to try and work rabbits into the 3 since you could raise them on grass only (in a pinch), they reproduce quickly, don't require much care, and need relatively little space. Plus they are a source of fur beyond just meat. You would really have to offset them with a fat source though. Rabbit meat is way too lean.

I guess in the end, I would have to go chickens, goats, and pigs.

Chickens - They win for me over turkeys because in a SHTF scenario, you might have keep them penned and not free range. Would be too risky to loose any to 2 or 4 legged predators. You could avoid having to feed them everything by using a movable tractor system or such. In addition, I also see eggs as the primary reason for them. Sure any older or non-producing hens and roosters would go to meat, but that is just culling. I totally agree about eggs being a trade good also. Either unfertilized to eat or fertilized to hatch. One step more would be to use young chicks as trade goods.

Goats - Goats provide all the same stuff cows can, just in a smaller compact package. As I said with chickens, it may be necessary to limit them to a smaller more controllable space for safety. So feeding them would be more manageable than cows. As mentioned before, a mix of breeds can maximize the yield of materials.

Pigs - Pigs do require a bit of space, but make up for that in the return and lack of pickiness. Pigs are your trash can on the farm. Any scrap that is edible, they will eat. This gives you a way to dispose of food waste, butchering scrap, clippings, or almost anything else. I would avoid things such as animal carcasses that you are not sure of cause of death. That avoids disease. I had always envisioned long term planting fruit and nut trees along the outer edge of the pen. That sets up a sort of auto feeder. Plus if you wanted the "crop" you could always pick it before it falls or just take what is outside the pen. I had imagined things like oak, crab apple, pawpaws, cherries, mulberries, and persimmons. My granddad had a slow running spring fenced into his pig pen. This kept the pigs in mud and provided some water, though he did keep them a large tub in addition. I would plan for a small shed area to give them shade. A rain collection barrel set up to catch water off the shed roof would help with water.

One other thought that I want to note. I think it is very important to consider your area's climate in this case. If you choose cattle, but have a very harsh winter, you are going to need to have barns to accommodate them. This is to protect them and to make it easier to feed and care for them. No one wants to be out in 2 feet of snow and -20 degrees trying to round up and feed the cattle. Heck, the Vikings knew the value of their livestock and simply housed them inside the house during the winter. You, the wife, kids, chickens, cows, pigs, and goats all hanging out in the living room on a cold winters day. That would get you to building a barn right quick.

#13 ·
Just got my homestead this year.

We started off with a dozen Rhode Island Red Chickens.

Next year we are adding a couple breeding pairs of rabbits.

Finally we are getting a small herd of sheep to keep our 3 acres of pasture mowed. I am strongly considering the Katahdin. That way we don't have to ever shear the wool.

Probably will never get anything besides those 3. I do know that pigs are never allowed on my homestead. (The wife has banned them due to her childhood ).

#16 ·
Horses require a lot of maintenance and high quality feed(expensive) and it is generally frowned on to eat or milk them.

They do have the benefit of being work animals but so can cows and in modern times I would prefer a small tractor and a barrel of fuel than a horse. I can ignore the tractor for week on end until I need it and as soon as I am done needing it I can park it and not have to feed and water it every day.

#15 ·
I think sheep could be a good animal to have on a homestead. They are small enough that butchering and preserving one isn't a huge chore, they produce meat, dairy, leather and fiber. They can thrive on very low quality feed and pasture. Because they often twin they can reproduce very fast. One big problem with sheep is I don't like the taste of the meat or the milk.

Chickens seem like a good option, eggs and meat and feathers while they hunt bugs and eat scraps.

Cows can produce meat, milk, leather and pulling power, all while surviving on a low quality diet.

Pigs are quick to grow and if managed right could be used to weed and till and fertilize next years garden.

#19 ·
I vote for poultry if I can group chickens, ducks, geese and quail under one category.
Goats, both milking (Saanen, Togenburg, etc,) and meat producing (Boers) types.
A couple of Dexter cows - if I had more than the two acres we are on.

We can't keep pigs in our area but I wouldn't mind having a couple of those "curly-tailed flat-nosed dogs" that I know a couple of people have somewhere down the back of their blocks.

#27 ·
For myself it would be:
#1 Chickens (can't go without eggs & BBQ chicken)
#2 Cattle ( 1 steer for the freezer the rest can repopulate)
#3 Swine (nothing better than home grown Pork)

Over the years I've raised Goats, Sheep, Ducks, Pheasant Geese, Steers and Pigs, I'll stick with my three choices. I've had 10 horses over the years and still have a horse but due to back operations I'm not suppose to ride anymore....so she's just a old hayburner now and can pack if needed.

#28 ·
A lot of survival-minded people don’t keep the right kind of chickens. Bankivoid gamefowl such as red jungle fowl, American games, and a few others, are basically self sustaining as long as they have good land to forage on. In the SE, American games were the dominant farm chicken for most farms thru the early 1900s.

And a lot of people don’t know the American gamecock was actually the bird the Founders were seriously considering for the national bird, not the wild turkey. Ben Franklin wrote a tongue in cheek letter advocating for the wild turkey. But the actual final contenders for national bird were the game **** and the bald eagle.

#29 ·
A lot of survival-minded people don’t keep the right kind of chickens. Bankivoid gamefowl such as red jungle fowl, American games, and a few others, are basically self sustaining as long as they have good land to forage on. ...
I think the main problem with chickens isn't so much being "self sustaining" but that they are so vulnerable to predation from dogs, coyotes, etc.

#32 ·
I would get along with some neighbors well enough that I could pick three, and at least two others could pick three. Between nine different types of animals I'm sure we would never get tired of eating the same type of meat every night:D:. But, I do not believe that anybody will survive a SHTF scenario by themselves.

ETA: I guess I should pick three animals. I think I would go with a breed of miniature cattle, chickens, and probably sheep. Then mini cattle would be easier to handle, and there would be less chance of having meat go to waste when butchering because of having too much and not being able to use it all before spoiling. Chickens supply eggs as well as meat. Sheep will supply wool as well as meat, and they eat different grasses than cattle. But, I could be talked out of those choices probably too.

#33 ·
I have tried chickens , a lynx ate them . Now I have milk goats . When s.h.t.f. my group will have milk daily throughout the year . I feed them but I let them out a few minutes every day to forge for themselves . They like green leaves . Figuring when s.h.t.f. there will not be any gasoline for vehicles or farm machinery I can feed my goats without store bought feed or bales of hay . I prepare for a more extreme s.h.t.f. scenario than some .

#34 ·
Just a thought but large animals require a lot of feed, fencing and time. In a time of chaos you may not have that luxury. When the grain is gone are you going to have enough scraps to feed pig? A cow need a lot of grass a couple of acres is not going to do it unless it is very good. We lost 20 chickens and 8 ducks to raccoons last winter. It took a while to get the trap in and catch them. We ordered chicks in Feb. and are just getting eggs. Now my new guard dog goes to the barn twice each night barking at something. Protecting stock is a full time job.

#35 ·
The best SHTF animals are chicken and some rabbits. They require little input. Also, if you have access to some more land, forest or foraging areas, goats and wild sheep will eat most anything. They are also extremely hardy and rarely require veterinary attention. If I already had chicken and rabbits, I would probably go for wild sheep. They provide wool, meat, and maybe most importantly fat! The big challenge in a survival situation will be access to enough fat! A wild sheep will put on a solid layer of fat.

#36 ·
According to a relative who raised them, turkeys are dumb and have trouble breeding due to their large breasts which consumers demand. I would consider geese, they eat grass too, eggs are good, and are large enough for good meat production. Goats for milk and meat. They can be trained to pull wagons as well. Plus they do not give so much milk that I would be unable to keep up using it. Butchering size is much easier to handle as well. Bees because my parents had them and I like working with them. Honey and honey products for barter and good pollination for the garden & orchard. Plus their stings do help with arthritis, which runs in my family. (Some beekeepers make side money stinging folks with arthritis! The man I know who used this treatment said the good effects lasted about a week, so you get repeat customers, too, LOL)

#37 ·
The meet breeds definitely aren’t the brightest fish in the drawer. But the heritage breeds tend to be smarter I’ve found. It is correct that the meat breed has trouble breeding, as the Tom can’t really reach to do the deed. Also, a large percentage are sterile.

What do you know, 4-H actually helped me in life.

I have never heard that about bee stings and arthritis. I wonder why that might be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.