Survivalist Forum banner

Source for butchered beef in Utah, Idaho, Colorado.

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  roseman 
#1 ·
I have a local source but their prices are high because they are local, grass fed, and they have little competition.

I am looking for a source for a full beef, butchered, in either Utah, Idaho, Colorado, or maybe even Wyoming or Nebraska.

I am just hoping someone has a reputable ranch/butcher they have used recently.

Yes, I am searching and researching, just looking for a recommendation based on your own experience.

Thank you.

Reactions: Aerindel
#5 ·
It's of no use except reference but in Texas you pay $5/lb hanging weight for a half grass fed steer. It's pretty close to grocery store beef, excluding premium cuts when they are not on sale. The feedlot beef we get from the grocery may not be as nice, but we don't have to deal the volume and we get to choose our cuts.

Reactions: INresponse
#6 ·
Wow grocery prices seem lower in texas than washington. But hanging weight here seems to run about $3.50 + cut and wrap. Usually a couple bucks + but looking at craigslist its $.78.
They seem to throw in bones and tail for free. And organs and heart.

#14 ·
Grocery prices on average are very low here. Grocery stores are hyper competitive here and use their buying power to leverage loss leader sales. That we have every temperate climate excepting high mountains plus 3 season warm weather means we can grow a lot of food here. Not everything is a deal in Texas, but groceries definitely are. Fuel is also a bargain here.

For families who are careful about home buying and are willing to drive older dependable vehicles then you can raise a family affordably here. Texas is great for frugal types with skills who avoid frills.
Thank you, this site looks promising. :thumb:

EDIT: This is exactly what I was looking for, and probably very helpful for anyone nationwide.

Thanks again.
Oddly, that site isn't so hot for Texas. Our grocery industry likely plays a part. The only merchants I'm seeing are boutique ranches that charge more than grocery prices because they peddle grass fed.

Food sourcing in the US is not monolithic. Texas is clearly the opposite of where you live.

If I had to guess, I suspect the bigger ranches here use the feedlots and all the beef in their system is spoken for by the grocery wholesalers in advance, leaving only the boutique ranchers for direct sale here. No generic little ranches here.

I'm not knocking that site though. Some of the beef prices I see in colder states are crazy expensive. If you are typically seeing $7.99/lb chuck roasts at the store then you need to be hunting for sites like that one. I was even about to suggest taking a grocery buying vacation down south.
Can't. I hate everyone.
We share this truth. :D:

Those of you in the middle north that are feeling a bit shut in after this year without a summer vacation might actually like a southern state vacation swing right when the cold weather rolls in there. A million touristy things to do, gas prices low, lots more ethnic shopping opportunities than in the middle flyover regions, and the opportunity to load up the Igloos on the way back then that delayed summer vacation done in October could be awesome. Heck, you may even catch a few days on a Gulf Coast beach while reading about the first snows back home. Kid's school? This whole year was borked anyway. But education can take many forms. Travel is serious life education for kids. Broadens their world view by teaching them their fishbowl at home isn't normal everywhere. Make them track the trip's finances too for a double training session, and make them take novels to read in the car. Give them a "gap year" change of pace that still has lessons.

Reactions: SoJ_51
#18 · (Edited)
Any American pilsner beer is great if absolutely fresh in the keg.

That what it was designed for. Fresh kegs delivered that day to beer halls of laborers getting off shift.

Coors generally sucks. But I've had Coors delivered that day in kegs in Colorado. It's really pretty good right then.

We have a Bud plant in town. Visit a very busy bar after work and ask for a pitcher of Bud. Awesome.

But the 12 pack of cans that's been in the middle of the grocery store display stack for a week just ain't the same.

Pace used to be great. Pace didn't get worse, but it made a million small makers get on board and now they have too much good competition. But if I was stuck in Asia for a while I'd see a bottle of Pace as a godsend.

Reactions: dmas
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.