Survivalist Forum banner

Just had a earthquake

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  ~Black.Dog~ 
#1 ·
Just had an earthquake here in my area of North Carolina 5.1 according to USGS. First one I've experienced as an adult :eek: needless to say it got my attention, I was in the basement watching You tube videos on the computer and at first I thought it was a very low flying jet until the house started moving and rattling, I'll have to say i haven't moved that fast going up the steps in years to the back door :D:

#4 ·
One hit me in NJ of all places, not far from the Delaware river. I was leasing a house on 15 acres in the prettiest place imaginable. Was sitting in the LR watching TV, when I heard what sounded like a cannon going off in the house.

The seismic wave broke the slab in half. And cracked the walls a bit.
I mentioned it to the owner and he expressed no concern.

He must not have had the place insured. He was an executive at J&J, and had inherited the property from his great uncle who had built the place himself.

I told him he should get a damage estimate and file an insurance claim. He totally didn't care.

#7 ·
I ought to of known something like this was going to happen by the way my cats were acting this morning, there are a dozen or so that hang out around my house,and barns and we feed them and they keep the mouse population down for us:thumb: but they were acting strange this morning almost aggressive towards my mother, she feeds them, which is highly unusual for the cats to act towards her, then they all disappeared right before the quake. makes me wonder if there's going to be another quake too cause, I haven't seen the rascals anywhere all day.

#10 ·
Just had an earthquake here..
Welcome to the Club... :D:

Yep, it really messes with yer sense of what "stability" is, when your Lifelong 'frame of reference' (the Ground..) is moving like jello - or worse, when it feels like some Huge Gorilla just picked up yer Entire house, and is playing salt-shaker with it.. :xeye:

Been in Quite a few over the years - Some were real 'doozies'.. Northridge Quake was, by far, the worst, but the earlier 'Whittier Narrows' actually felt more violent (though not as strong..) due to the 'thrust'-type movement.. it was :taped: Crazy..

..Lots of others, 5.x or less, in years Growing up in CA and living in El Salvador.. (actually, in an area called the 'Valle de las Hamacas' (Valley of the Hammocks) since 3-5 pointers happened semi-monthly, at longest-stretch...

..Even one 5.er in Upstate NY (originated in Ontario, CN, tho..) where I was in a 110+ yr old Brick industrial-bldg, and the 'swaying' was enough to Watch little 'gaps' appearing / closing in the mortar of the 2nd story brick walls.. (!) Yah, I thought 'Oh great, had to come all the way to NY to die in a quake..' :rolleyes: Thought for Sure that place was gonna lose it..

Especially wierd was how, yup, Animals - dogs and horses, in-particular, will 'alert you', with erratic behaviour.. Also wierd is how unearthly Quiet / still it sometimes gets right before one hits.. Awesome - yet unnerving - at the same time..

..Glad ya 'graduated unscathed'.. :thumb:

jd

#12 ·
i remember my first one 10 years ago...was watching Saturday night live, thought I was having a stroke or something. never felt one in Kansas before. next week i added earthquake insurance to my home owners. pretty cheap here in Kansas. we have had several that i have felt since then.

#13 ·
I grew up in SE MO near the New Madrid fault. Many people don't realize they live where EQ can happen and do happen all the time. I only felt those small EQs in SE MO if I was sleeping and it woke me up (a couple times 3.x or 4.x magnitudes).
The New Madrid EQ in 1812 shook bells in Philly and ran the Mississippi backwards to form Reelfoot Lake in TN. Aftershoocks for a year or more. Many strange accounts of toxic gases, etc. But the animal population probably outnumbered people then so didn't get a lot of news coverage.

#17 ·
I felt this one in 2011 in the same location I'm in now.
I was about 190 miles from the epicenter.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_earthquake

"On August 23, 2011, a magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit the Piedmont region of the Commonwealth of Virginia, United States, at 1:51:04 p.m. EDT. The epicenter, in Louisa County, was 38 mi (61 km) northwest of Richmond and 5 mi (8 km) south-southwest of the town of Mineral. It was an intraplate earthquake with a maximum perceived intensity of VII (Very strong) on the Mercalli intensity scale. Several aftershocks, ranging up to 4.5 Mw in magnitude, occurred after the main tremor.

The quake was felt across more than a dozen U.S. states and in several Canadian provinces, and was felt by more people than any other quake in U.S. history.[4] No deaths and only minor injuries were reported. Minor and moderate damage to buildings was widespread and was estimated by one risk-modeling company at $200 million to $300 million, of which about $100 million was insured.[5][6]"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.