Survivalist Forum banner

What is the Absolute Best Combat 9MM - Money Not a Issue

22K views 209 replies 84 participants last post by  greatgeezer 
#1 ·
I recently realized that I am a bit under prepared in the handgun department. It's silly, as I own 30+ handguns. The problem is that 2/3 of them are vintage firearms. Of the modern options, most have specific roles. Nightstand gun, suppressor host, ect. I need a no BS 9MM that is combat ready and rock solid. Looking at the SIG M11 A1. Any thoughts?

#44 ·
S&W M&P if you want plastic.
CZ75 for an all steel choice.
Beretta 92 for the aluminum frame category.

re: M11(A1) remember it is not a full size "battle" pistol. It was intended to be a smaller alternative to issue to plain cloths investigators (CID, NCIS, and the like), pilots, and those who couldn't handle the bigger grip of the M9. Knowing its limitations though it is a Fantastic little pistol that still holds 15 in the magazine. The biggest problem is going to be finding one. And no mine is not for sale.

#58 ·
I bought the M11. I was down to that or the USP9. The more I read the scales slanted towards the M11. Most say the trigger of the USP is garbage, especially for a $1,000 pistol. I will be doing a good bit of training with it so that is a big issue for me. That, and the USP wasn't in stock anywhere I saw.

I preferred the smaller frame of the compact. I'm a short guy. 5' 5". Compacts fit my hand better. I won't miss the extra 2-3 rounds.

Palmetto State Armory has the M11's in stock for $949. $1,022 out the door.

#49 ·
At the end of the day, the absolute best just happens to be the one you have in your hand at the time you need it. And, if you regularly train with it then all the better.

For the record, I train with no less than:

- Sig P220
- Sig P226
- S&W M&P 2.0
- Glock 17
- Glock 19

On occasion:
- Springfield XDm
- Kimber SIS <-- a VERY good shooter in its own right
- Glock 41 <-- going to start training with more
- Glock 21 SF <-- given a choice over the 41 it will be the 41 every time

Reactions: Hick Industries
#57 ·
Thats my personal EDC, a browning clone with glock eating habits, as backup to a 38 snubbie (point & squeeze). If I need more than 5, I will probably need all 15 +1. Until then, in a wild fumble, simplicity has an attraction.

But, in a numbers game, more beats less. I would opt for a bulk buy of police 92Es. And pump 12g with barrels sawn off at 20 inches. Deterrence has massive value. In a country with generations of deer caliber scoped rifles, thats a full house.

#54 ·
I agree, a better holster would be the choice, but at the time I had the P7, there were only two holsters of any quality available, Bianchi and Desantis, and they both allowed it to regularly happen. The trigger was fully covered, but the rear of the guard at the grip where the release is, wasnt, and it makes sense it isnt, at least if you want a good grip on the gun for the draw.

In the close to 50 years now of carrying a gun on a daily basis, Ive never once had a push button or heel type release let a mag go, holster or not.

Now maybe with a cheap leather or nylon type holster, and/or a bad release, and a perfect storm, it could be an issue, but even then, I think it would be more fluke than a regular occurrence.

When I first started using a Smart Carry with my Glock 26, I did everything I could to try and get the trigger to drop by heavily massaging the gun in the holster, and the trigger never dropped nor did the mag ever release, and I was all over that gun in trying to get that trigger to go. Not that I was trying to drop the mag, but Im sure I must have had my hands on that release while I was doing it, and that holster is just heavy cloth.

These days, with the better holsters (kydex and leather) available, I think its really a non issue with any of them.

Then again, a lot of people seem to think any old holster will do, and whats wrong with the cheap nylon? :)

#61 ·
..Most say the trigger of the USP is garbage,...
I think the trigger is almost perfect for the role it serves - a combat designed handgun.

It's laughable when folks talk about, or use obvious exaggeration, these things...

The USP is known widely to be a premier combat proven handgun used by among the best professional forces ON THE GLOBE.

Yeah, I'm sure it has a "garbage" trigger.

The OP has asked for a combat handgun. Not some Olympic target pistol 2lb trigger used on a flat range under minimal stress. There is a distinct difference.

#67 ·
Lots of good options, but that USP! Hehe

#71 ·
If there was a single "absolute best" everyone would buy that one only. The fact that there are so many on the market proves that there is no "best"...sorta like Ford VS Chevy.

The best gun is the one that fits you and you shoot the best with. For me, in a 9mm it's a CZ-75. In .45ACP, it's a 1911. For others it may be a Glock, Sig, HK or what have you. Try a few and see which one you do best with.

#74 ·
Which ever quality top tier 9 mm your wife shoots best!

Yeah a bit of an odd answer, but there is some positives to choosing it this way!

My wife shoots the Glock 19 very well and all our day to day extra mags are G17 mags so I can also carry my G26, G17 or G34. The sweet spot for both of us is the G19 though!

Glock holsters are everywhere and parts are also readily available and inexpensive.

I always check availability of mags, parts and accessories before I choose in situations like this!

SD

#99 ·
If you find that you like the Sig 226, you owe it to yourself to try a CZ-75 also. The Sig used to be my favorite traditional DA until I tried the CZ. At least for my hand, it felt like it was custom made to fit.

Made from tool steel too, so it's a durable SOB. Damned hard steel to gunsmith. Cutting sight dovetails eats a cobalt cutter like candy. The same cutter would make dovetails in a number of other guns before wearing out.

#87 ·
Ok so just a few thoughts.

1. What is a combat pistol ? I mean if I know I’m gonna get in a gun fight I want a rifle.

2. Performance is important but reliability is really what we are talking about with a handgun. The odds are you will be shooting at fairly close ranges.

3. Capacity is fairly important here. But you can also carry extra mags.

4. Any major brand ( glock , sig , walther , hk, SW, CZ, styer, etc ) are not very likely to fail using good ammunition. However you can’t shoot a gun you left in the truck or at home. So a gun you can more easily carry with you is important.

#88 ·
@ Nomad,
All facts for which I'm aware. I'm speaking factually generically here, versus writing a historical record of every gun ever designed or produced.

Having actually SERVED in the SOF community and seeing Glocks issued and carried to 18 Series men, I'm well aware that the G19 was (after my service) adopted by some of those elite communities to replace the P226. We had G19s and Sigs M11s (and some others) in our inventory, which I personally held or saw.

[You tout reading comprehension - look at the list I wrote and you will find the Glock 19 and Sig P226 and P229 (basically an M11) referenced as top tier guns.]

Ironic you mention the Ruger, as I recently bought two and actually have an unloaded Ruger P95 sitting on my desk (I was recently cleaning it). My writing was, again, generic and speaking in reference to the "best combat handguns" ever made. It was not an inventory of every gun ever made with every feature ever designed.

Yup, you are correct that the P95 has a ambi push button mag release. Certainly ahead of the curve for its era, and a good firearm, it would not make my cut for a top tier handgun. There's lots of heel mag release guns too which are inherently ambi, but those also didn't make my list so I wasn't referring to every gun ever made. We could probably find other obscure guns that had innovations adopted later on, but the guns were never widely adopted. The Ruger P series has a cult following who adore it from a bargain handgun perspective. I'm unaware of any major relevant police force or military who adopted the Ruger P series. Nor would it matter. It's chunky, ugly, clunky, with a wobbly trigger which inexplicably remains in place, backwards safety/decocker, and the biggest lure is that it's an inexpensive firearm that fires reliably but is otherwise unimpressive.

Edited: Just did some brief looking and it appears the P85 was briefly adopted by two US police departments (San Diego and Wisconsin) and the Turkish pollice. I see no adoption by any military. Maybe it has been. But this is not a very impressive list of adopted users.

If I had to make a "best combat handgun" list by gun make and models, I doubt any of these Ruger P Series would be in my top 30. Hence, the lack of reference. I was plainly talking about the main designs.

I will add that while the XD didn't make my cut, it also has been designed with a ambi-push button. It's a better pistol than the Rugers, but still not making my cut.

[You tout reading comprehension - try re-reading what I wrote and digesting it, rather than just going on auto pilot to attempt to pick apart my statements without applying any measurable comprehending of the overall statements.]

This is or should be clear and obvious to anyone with scant knowledge of guns who might be reading this.

As for it being "foolish" to cross train, I fundamentally disagree. I believe cross training on different weapons is important and I'm confident in my ability to mentally know the gun and condition it's in if I have to use it.

#89 ·
@ Nomad,
All facts for which I'm aware. I'm speaking factually generically here, versus writing a historical record of every gun ever designed or produced

Having actually SERVED in the SOF community and seeing Glocks issued and carried to 18 Series men, I'm well aware that the G19 was (after my service) adopted by some of those elite communities to replace the P226. We had G19s and Sigs M11s (and some others) in our inventory, which I personally held or saw.

[You tout reading comprehension - look at the list I wrote and you will find the Glock 19 and Sig P226 and P229 (basically an M11) referenced as top tier guns.]

Ironic you mention the Ruger, as I recently bought two and actually have an unloaded Ruger P95 sitting on my desk (I was recently cleaning it). My writing was, again, generic and speaking in reference to the "best combat handguns" ever made. It was not an inventory of every gun ever made with every feature ever designed.

Yup, you are correct that the P95 has a ambi push button mag release. Certainly ahead of the curve for its era, and a good firearm, it would not make my cut for a top tier handgun. There's lots of heel mag release guns too which are inherently ambi, but those also didn't make my list so I wasn't referring to every gun ever made. We could probably find other obscure guns that had innovations adopted later on, but the guns were never widely adopted. The Ruger P series has a cult following who adore it from a bargain handgun perspective. I'm unaware of any major relevant police force or military who adopted the Ruger P series. Nor would it matter. It's chunky, ugly, clunky, with a wobbly trigger which inexplicably remains in place, backwards safety/decocker, and the biggest lure is that it's an inexpensive firearm that fires reliably but is otherwise unimpressive.

Edited: Just did some brief looking and it appears the P85 was briefly adopted by two US police departments (San Diego and Wisconsin) and the Turkish pollice. I see no adoption by any military. Maybe it has been. But this is not a very impressive list of adopted users.

If I had to make a "best combat handgun" list by gun make and models, I doubt any of these Ruger P Series would be in my top 30. Hence, the lack of reference. I was plainly talking about the main designs.

I will add that while the XD didn't make my cut, it also has been designed with a ambi-push button. It's a better pistol than the Rugers, but still not making my cut.

[You tout reading comprehension - try re-reading what I wrote and digesting it, rather than just going on auto pilot to attempt to pick apart my statements without applying any measurable comprehending of the overall statements.]

This is or should be clear and obvious to anyone with scant knowledge of guns who might be reading this.

As for it being "foolish" to cross train, I fundamentally disagree. I believe cross training on different weapons is important and I'm confident in my ability to mentally know the gun and condition it's in if I have to use it.
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Fact:
All paddles are inherently ambi. That's an advantage.
Not all guns are ambi, in fact most American mag release are for right handers. Only some more recent designs are finally making theirs ambi.
It is very amusing to watch you try to cover your screw up by claiming the P series is "obscure" :D:

#90 ·
My "serious 9mm's" are a CZ P-01 and a Sig P320.

But imo there's not going to be a lot of practical difference between any mid-full size 9mm, but then again, maybe that last 5% could matter a lot in the right circumstances. For that reason I tend to stay away from the bottom-tier manufacturers for "serious" guns.

#95 ·
I am mainly a 45 guy, but variety is the spice of life.

Any pistol from a well know manufacturer is better from an unknown manufacturer, which is better than none.

Good choices on a cost benefit scale:
-Sig 226
-Glock models 45, 19, 17, 34
-1911s (Springfield, Colt, Kimber)
-Beretta 92fs, M9A1

Money is "not an issue"
-Any custom 1911 (Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Springfield Custom Shop, Colt CCU)
‐Sig X5
-Para-Ordnance Black Ops (after replacing MIM parts and all springs with high quality)
-Wilson Combat Berettas
-Beretta 92G-SD
-High end glocks from reputable builders
---add cost of an bare minimum of 5 high quality mags (OEM for most, Wilson for 1911s, Mec-gar for Berettas and Sigs)
---add cost of high quality IWB and OWB holsters (I prefer safariland for OWB, Raven for IWB)
---add cost of at least 2k rounds
-add cost of high quality shooting course (to be ran with your new pistol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.