Survivalist Forum banner

What is the Absolute Best Combat 9MM - Money Not a Issue

22K views 209 replies 84 participants last post by  greatgeezer 
#1 ·
I recently realized that I am a bit under prepared in the handgun department. It's silly, as I own 30+ handguns. The problem is that 2/3 of them are vintage firearms. Of the modern options, most have specific roles. Nightstand gun, suppressor host, ect. I need a no BS 9MM that is combat ready and rock solid. Looking at the SIG M11 A1. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Take a moment to think what features you want. What overall size, wt, capacity.
Despite the current shortage in stores, the selection of high quality combat is terrific right now.
Btw, some manufacturers offer enhanced models equiped with better sights, and factory tuned triggers.
My idea of modern combat gun was a Sig 220 Elite SAO.

Edit, nothing makes a combat pistol better than a Dillion 550B, 10,000 rds of range brass, and a source of cheap practice bullets.

#19 ·
Yep, the USP is the combat standard for a handgun. I would say a USP Custom Combat with a jet funnel.

Federal Ammunition Company has record of an HK USP with m 297,000 rounds on it, and I'm sure much more than that now.

#8 ·
Yes.......every minute of everyday........especially April through November. The other four months are a reduced risk, but still a risk.

#18 ·
GLOCK Model 18
Having the the opportunity to fire one courtesy some DEA guys, I would not say no to one. Was a pleasure to shoot.

#11 ·
Best currently available, widely adopted by the pros globally. If I had to go to a pistol fight, it would be with one of these, so look no further:

Hammer:
* CZ75 variants with safety or decocker, and would include the P01, P07, P09, Shadow, Phantoms, etc.
* Sig classic P226 and P226 including the DAK
* HK USP and compact including the LEM
* Bersa Thunder Pro full and compact (not broadly adopted, but a hidden gem in the bunch)

Striker
* Glock 19, 17, 34, and others
* Walther P99, PPS, PPQ
* SW MP variants

#16 ·
I've already got 3 Glocks, and the FNX 45. My G17 is a suppressor toy, super high sights, match (less reliable) barrel, ect. G43 for everyday carry. G30, which was my iffy choice. I've been having a couple hiccups with it. I've rode it pretty hard. Need to replace some parts. FNX has a reflex sight, and is a little oversize for me 5' 5" frame.

I am leaning alloy frame hammer fired. Liking the Sigs and the USP.

#29 ·
No one handgun is perfect or even the best for everything.

For me, the USP9 is great as an overt sidearm - but if I had to carry concealed, then I would probably go with a Glock 19 of even a Browning HP.

If I was going to shoot at targets and compete, running and gunning in IPSC or something similar, then I would go for a Strayer Voigt Infinity.

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through all the above handguns and was never disappointed by any of them.

#31 ·
From a purely rugged, ergonomic, comfortable, reliable, accurate design I would have to say the HK USP might be the pinnacle.

* It is DA/SA capable to please everyone.
* It has both safety for cocked/locked SA carry and a decocker to please that crowd.
* Trigger pull is good in both DA and SA.
* IF you don't like the safety mode you have, most are easily changed with a $10 part at your kitchen table with a screwdriver in 5 minutes. There are many variants.
* Polymer for light weight.
* Simple to break down and clean.
* Paddle mag release is the superior design, inherently ambidextrous and reduces inadvertent mag drops.

#39 ·
High Point

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.